Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Hokay said:
My top 10 is:

1. Alexander Ovechkin: Great strength in all aspects of the game. Reads the play well. Good anticipation. Plays well in both ends of the ice. Excellent Skater. Strong on his skates. Natural goal scorer. Unbelievable Quick wrist shot. Plays with a great amount of grit and determination.Ovechkin is a big, fancy goal scorer and a fancy skater with spectacular stickhandling skills. He has exceptional maturity and understanding of the game for a kid his age. According to a scout, Alex is a player who could be unreal. Good playmaker. He makes defenses get that deer in the headlights look everytime he touches the puck". He also has size, and could grow to 6'4" before he is drafted. Just a great combination of a player. I guess he is a more rounded and filled out version of Joe Thornton.

When has Joe Thornton ever been a fancy goal scorer and a fancy skater with spectacular stickhandling skills?

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
Alexei Kovalev said:
When has Joe Thornton ever been a fancy goal scorer and a fancy skater with spectacular stickhandling skills?

You forgot to read the part of the sentence: I guess he is a more rounded and filled out version of Joe Thornton. And I think too that Joe Thornton doesn't have the best stickhandling skills, but he isn't a bad stickhandler.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Seems to be a year lacking of top end Canadian talent other than Barker. Luckily 2005 seems to be a year with an abundant amount.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Hokay said:
You forgot to read the part of the sentence: I guess he is a more rounded and filled out version of Joe Thornton. And I think too that Joe Thornton doesn't have the best stickhandling skills, but he isn't a bad stickhandler.

You also forgot to say that Thornton is not a fancy skater, nor a fancy goalscorer. The Thornton comparison is a terrible one, nonetheless.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
OK, so after reading all this I guess it's down to between 4 and 5 guys...Ovy, Malkin, Olesz, and Barker seem to be fairly locked to be the big-timers of this draft. My question is Schremp. I've never seen him play and am solely going on what is written about him and his stats, but the questions about him nag at me. Maybe I'm still just shell-shocked from the Volchkov disaster (I still can't see his name without gritting my teeth) because any time I see someone's character questioned and selfishness come into play I get a bit skiddish. Anyway, 4-5 guys in a draft that could be franchise caliber guys isn't bad.....the question is what kinda depth comes in after that. After the WJC things should be alot clearer.....though who knows, someone else might emerge.

Kev88

Nov 30, 2003
Canada
Alexei Kovalev said:
You also forgot to say that Thornton is not a fancy skater, nor a fancy goalscorer. The Thornton comparison is a terrible one, nonetheless.

I said Thornton, because he is physical (And Ovechkin too) and Thornton can score lots of goals (he did more than 35 goals two times in 4 full years since he his in the NHL. And I said that Ovechkin was more rounded and more filled out, so he can score easilly 50 goals in the NHL. If you prefer, we can say that he his a future Kovalchuk (If Kovalchuk hits enough). And maybe, it's true that Kovalchuk and Thornton doesn't have the same style of play, but Ovechkin can be a mix of these two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad