04 Playoffs Keith Primeau

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Sorry to drudge up an old topic but i was watching highlights of the 2004 Tampa series due to the recent signing of Vinny...But i started watching highlights of keith primeau and his 2004 playoff effort. Im sure we all agree that this was one of the best playoff series of all time...but where do you put his body of work in 04 playoffs on the all time great performances of athletes?

Also, one thing ive always wondered and never could find any info about... if you rewatch the clips you see immediately following the goal and before he celebrated with the team, he stuck around with Sammi on the bench and was talking to him, does anyone know what he said? was it ever reported anywhere? (2:25 in video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4GWnqUeZVQ

(mod edit: Clip did not work properly, added link and new video -- 3:45 in this clip)

Last edited by a moderator:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Pardon my blasphemy, but when you look at the stats, Primeau's 03-04 playoffs are pretty meh compared to what we've seen from Briere and Giroux of late. Granted, I know Primeau's points were amazingly clutch, and I think for that alone he deserves the clout. It was still in the clutch-and-grab era too.

Because of that, I'm somewhat torn about where to put it. It's absolutely top-10, most likely top-5, and possibly top-3 in Philadelphia playoff performances, despite the fact he wasn't even a point per game player in those playoffs. During the 99-00 run where he got the 5OT winner, that was 1 of his only 2 goals all playoffs, and in every other playoff year for each of his teams, he was fairly invisible.

But yes, for such a team loaded with stars, he still threw them on his back. Historic for sure. That team should have played for the Cup.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Pardon my blasphemy, but when you look at the stats, Primeau's 03-04 playoffs are pretty meh compared to what we've seen from Briere and Giroux of late. Granted, I know Primeau's points were amazingly clutch, and I think for that alone he deserves the clout. It was still in the clutch-and-grab era too.

Because of that, I'm somewhat torn about where to put it. It's absolutely top-10, most likely top-5, and possibly top-3 in Philadelphia playoff performances, despite the fact he wasn't even a point per game player in those playoffs. During the 99-00 run where he got the 5OT winner, that was 1 of his only 2 goals all playoffs, and in every other playoff year for each of his teams, he was fairly invisible.

But yes, for such a team loaded with stars, he still threw them on his back. Historic for sure. That team should have played for the Cup.

His stats aren't that great, but he stood out almost every shift. He was pretty much all over ice. He wasn't that much of an offensive player anyway, so it makes sense that his stats weren't amazing.

JGalt

Jun 5, 2007
Huntingdon Vlly, PA
The thing I remember from that run is, beyond his incredibly clutch offense, he was playing even better defensively. Just absolutely smothering the opposition in a way I have never witnessed. If I remember correctly, in game 6, after he scored the tieing goal, he went back out the very next shift and literally single-handedly pinned the lightening in their own zone for a solid minute to close out the period, even though the Lightening were in possession of the puck almost the whole time. It was like he was everywhere on the ice all at once, where ever they tried to move the puck he was there. I've never seen anything like it.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
The thing I remember from that run is, beyond his incredibly clutch offense, he was playing even better defensively. Just absolutely smothering the opposition in a way I have never witnessed. If I remember correctly, in game 6, after he scored the tieing goal, he went back out the very next shift and literally single-handedly pinned the lightening in their own zone for a solid minute to close out the period, even though the Lightening were in possession of the puck almost the whole time. It was like he was everywhere on the ice all at once, where ever they tried to move the puck he was there. I've never seen anything like it.

This. Primeau was not supposed to be an offensive threat, he was supposed to be taking the toughest defensive assignments and running with them, which he was. The scoring was a bonus.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Philly sports were pretty stale and the era of scoring was different. That series was just fun and primeau stepped up his game to another level.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
He was the clear Conn Smythe Trophy winner if we made the finals, and G or Briere may have put up more points, but no where near the domination against the opposition.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

The few games that we had primeau and Lindros it was a sight to see. Those 2 guys never got the credit they deserve for their defensive dominance.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Do you remember "the shift" by Mike Richards?

Primeau did that on almost EVERY shift during that series. He had no place being that good for us. That's why it was so mind-blowingly special.

"And the legend...I'll say it again, the legend of Keith Primeau continues to grow." - Jim Jackson

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

His points were pretty good for the time. Vinny only had 16 points in 25 games that postseason.

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca
watched their entire playoffs, block party style in college, with a projector and giant white wall.

it was a very good time.

ihatebraydenschenn

I was 12 rows behind Khabibulin during game six of the ECF. His goal to tie the game and send it to OT was an incredibly awesome, pure workhorse goal. Then you have Gags scoring the OT winner. What a spectacular game.

That entire playoff run was a great year.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
I remember one of the broadcasters late in the Lightning series wondering whether a player has ever won a Conn Smythe without even making the Cup Finals. Obviously an exaggeration but still, that's how good he was.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
Kinda unfair to just compare playoff stats to Briere and Giroux. Scoring now is way higher than it was right before the lockout. Plus the Flyers' system under Hitch was much more defensive focused than under Lavi.

Do you remember "the shift" by Mike Richards?

Primeau did that on almost EVERY shift during that series. He had no place being that good for us. That's why it was so mind-blowingly special.

"And the legend...I'll say it again, the legend of Keith Primeau continues to grow." - Jim Jackson

Pretty sure it was Bill Clement that said that.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Am I the only one who really wants a playoff series against the Leafs? Man, that would take me back.

Phunhog

Jul 18, 2007
Should have never traded Brindy. That guy was a heart and soul player every game every shift, I'm talking regular season and playoffs. Still pissed at Clarke for that one.

Couturier Post

Aug 10, 2011
He had a great run that year, but in my mind it doesn't make up for the fact that 2 years earlier he lead a locker room mutiny against Bill Barber, practically intentionally losing a playoff series against Ottawa in the process.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Even going back to the Clarke/Barber and Lndros/Leclaire days NOBODY whom ha ever worn a Flyers jersey has ever single handedly impacted a series or playoff run more than Keith did that year. If it wasn't for him then we would have been embarrassed. I'm 47 years old and I have EVER seen one person flat out carry an entire team on his back the way Keith did that year. We were decimated by injuries on defense and it made Keiths job of shutting down Vinnie & StLouis even more difficult but that's what he did.

The following year Vinny L absolutely took off and became a dominant center in the league. He was always very talented but never seemed to have that "compete level" to take his game to the next level. He was asked what happened to cause that change and he said that it was what he saw in Keith P when thy played us in the playoffs the previous year. He said that it was like by shear will alone that Keith decided that he was going to carry the entire Flyers team on his back and that he'd let nothing stop them. Vinny said he saw that simply "playing" with the god given ability you had wasn't enough and that you have to find within yourself that extra "will" to not let anything nor anyone stop you. He said that they had no answer for Keith that year and he realized that if he set his mind to it that he too could never be stopped by another much like Keith couldn't be stopped that playoff series.

Vinny was both humbled and inspired by the performance of Keith in that series. THAT should tell you all you need to know about his performance that year when you had one of the best player in the entire world at that time giving him such a ringing endorsement.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
He had a great run that year, but in my mind it doesn't make up for the fact that 2 years earlier he lead a locker room mutiny against Bill Barber, practically intentionally losing a playoff series against Ottawa in the process.

Barber was a great player and knew hockey but he was not a very good coach. For one he was not a very good communicator with his players and he couldn't relate to todays players. It is no surprise that he never had another head coaching job in the NHL. If he had an ounce of talent in that regard he most certainly would most certainly still be coaching in the NHL with some team.

Maybe it was a ****** way for the players to do their coach but the truth is that they were right. Barber needed to go. It doesn't make me feel good but unfortunately they were right.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
If we pulled it off and won the cup that year there'd be a statue of primeau with his stick in the air the way he did after every goal out front the wachovia center. i mean wells fargo whatever at this point.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Even going back to the Clarke/Barber and Lndros/Leclaire days NOBODY whom ha ever worn a Flyers jersey has ever single handedly impacted a series or playoff run more than Keith did that year. If it wasn't for him then we would have been embarrassed. I'm 47 years old and I have EVER seen one person flat out carry an entire team on his back the way Keith did that year. We were decimated by injuries on defense and it made Keiths job of shutting down Vinnie & StLouis even more difficult but that's what he did.

Bill Barber against Minnesota in 1980 was phenomenal. The Flyers lost the opening game of that series. The powerplays in that series were lopsided, 40-to-18 in favor of Minnesota. Barber had 12 points in the next four games all wins but on an individual level had three key short-handed goals (the number tied an NHL record for one player in a series) and three game-winning goals -- each in the last three games. Video is practically non-existent and the era isn't nearly as fresh as the 2000s but Barber was a monster particularly in that series. He scored nine goals which at the time also tied an NHL record for one series but his PK performance was stellar.

And Minnesota, the team that ended the Flyers' 35-game regular season streak, was a tough building for a road team and almost as loud as any arena when it was packed and finished 5th or 6th in the regular season standings that season. In the critical Game 3, Barber had a hat trick which gave the Flyers a 4-0 lead, then Minnesota scored three quick goals and had a power play late with a chance to tie but Barber scored a fourth goal. If that stuff happened in the internet era, it would be legendary but it is relegated to memories and research. Primeau's effort was spectacular but Barber's shouldn't be overlooked.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011

Hextall? Or were you only counting skaters? If we're narrowing it down to one series, I'd throw out Umberger against the Habs. Guy was absolutely on fire during that series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad