04 Conn Smythe Trophy

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Anyone else feel that Nikolai Khabibulin was robbed?

I watched a game i found of VHS and he was amazing during the finals and looking at his stats for the playoffs i dont see how he didn't win especially with how he played vs Lightning and Habs.

Brad Richards had an excellent postseason but i think Khabibulin was the reason that they won!

Reactions: djboos22

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Richards had a record 7 game winning goals that year. If he doesnt win St. Louis was right there with him with 24 points to Richard's 26. But IMO there is no way that Richards does not win that one. If Khabibulin wins it than there would be a thread once a week on this and you could compare it to Lemieux's muggings at the 1989 awards ceremonies. The vibe was that Richards would win it if the Lightning won. I dont remember a lot of Khabibulin pimping at the time.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Khabibulin was terrific throughout the playoffs, but Richards' clutch scoring and composure with the puck made him a favorite for the Conn Smythe.

Contrary to what some believe in retrospect, Khabibulin did not get robbed with the Richards decision, nor was there any anti-Russianism involved in the decision.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Anyone else feel that Nikolai Khabibulin was robbed?

I watched a game i found of VHS and he was amazing during the finals and looking at his stats for the playoffs i dont see how he didn't win especially with how he played vs Lightning and Habs.

Brad Richards had an excellent postseason but i think Khabibulin was the reason that they won!

Think of it like the '89 playoffs. Vernon was very good that year and made some great saves but he wasnt the first name you think of from that year. No way was anyone prying that Conn Smythe Trophy away from MacInnis. After that Mullen and Gilmour were probably ahead of Vernon. I put Vernon 4th that year. Kind of the same with Khabibulin, he was good when he needed to be but was not the first name we think of from that year.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
While khabbi was very good that year when you have a player like richards score all the key goals to win games and series its hard to not give him the conn smythe. Marty st louis was the next best player for the bolts and would have been a fine choice after scoring the game winner in double ot in game 6 to send the finals to a game 7. After st louis and richards khabbibulan prob came in 3 among most important lightning players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad