GDT: 03/27/2014 - Minnesota @ St. Louis - 7:00 PM CDT - 2:00 AM Suomi - FS-N, FS-WI, FS-MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Obviously at this point it is dumb. Line brawl. You have to do something.

St. Louis knew we had no one to punch back. We were bullied plan and simple. We took it and did nothing about it.

They bloodied us up on the ice and score sheet. To me that is unacceptable. I do not care how you send that message but we cannot be push overs.

Playoff hockey coming up where you get the extra inch. Things will get much worse if anyone with a brain watchs that game tape.

Its like pitching inside. I play baseball and i pitch. When guys feet are moving when you are in your motion its already over. When they are comfortable in the box its over for me. I's rather face a guy throwing 80 MPH with great control vs a guy in the low 70s with no control.

A line brawl isnt going to solve anything. The thing is this team needs to get out of the culture of "avoid the hit, play skilled not hard" and start playing the ****ing body and not being afraid to stand up for themselves. The last time I saw this team get really physical was that one game in our playoff series against Chicago last year and look how well it worked! we took the Hawks right the **** off their game and took it to them.

A line brawl isn't going to fix the no-hitting culture. It takes more than one incident to change a teams mind.

Mindless violence solves nothing.

Targeted violence helps almost everything.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
A line brawl isnt going to solve anything. The thing is this team needs to get out of the culture of "avoid the hit, play skilled not hard" and start playing the ****ing body and not being afraid to stand up for themselves. The last time I saw this team get really physical was that one game in our playoff series against Chicago last year and look how well it worked! we took the Hawks right the **** off their game and took it to them.

A line brawl isn't going to fix the no-hitting culture. It takes more than one incident to change a teams mind.

Well put

Growing up in the era I did and learning hockey the way I learned, I cringe a little when this roster passes up hits. You don't win hockey games with skill alone. You don't need to go nuts and fight everyone, but you have to check well otherwise you will be kicked around the league.

With that being said, I would not have minded if someone sent Backes out of the game last night. There is no reason for a team captain to taunt the opposing goalie after going up by 3 goals. In this particular instance violence (legal or not) against said player is completely warranted.

Shakeywalton

Jul 7, 2006

I'm not preaching for violence, but when 3 opposing players jumps on one of your teammates, and your teammate comes out a bloody pulp, your are a gutless, pathetic teammate if you don't respond. A physical response is absolutely necessary. A non-response confirms the gutless resolve and an unwillingness to respond to a challenge. This isn't women's hockey, and for as much as you want the league to take care of things, they don't. We've seen it. the players know it too. Intimidation works in this league and if you don't respond in kind for christ sake, don't even come to the rescue of a teammate being pummelled by 3 opposing player, you don't belong in the NHL.

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica
I'm only posting this because I think some of you will get a kick out of it -- not to be a jerk.

Blues beat writer Jeremy Rutherford tweeted this today:

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford
#stlblues are shooting 2013-14 team photo today on ice at Scottrade. May have to wait for Dany Heatley to get out of zone before snapping.

Shakeywalton

Jul 7, 2006
Thank God for Glen Sonmor. He singlehandedly turned that 81 North Star team into a playoff team.

Here's the link for those who were too young to have watched it. The Stars got sick and tired of being abused by the Bruins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8BW8jHNQlY

I don't think I was more proud of a MN sports team after that game than before or since. And I attended both game 7's of the Twins WS victories.

Last edited:

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm not preaching for violence, but when 3 opposing players jumps on one of your teammates, and your teammate comes out a bloody pulp, your are a gutless, pathetic teammate if you don't respond. A physical response is absolutely necessary. A non-response confirms the gutless resolve and an unwillingness to respond to a challenge.[...]Intimidation works in this league and if you don't respond in kind for christ sake, don't even come to the rescue of a teammate being pummelled by 3 opposing player, you don't belong in the NHL.

The thing is, they could make the argument that they wanted to take the hits, not retaliate, go on the power play, and punish them on the scoreboard instead of with hits. And that would be totally fine, except this team's power play is totally ****ing anemic. I feel like it's not always necessary to stand up physically like that, but if you're not going to then you'd better ****ing punish them on the ensuing advantage. Since they clearly can't do that...yeah, they should probably be getting mixed up in the shoving.

Guys will think twice about taking dumbass unsportsmanlike/roughing/etc penalties like those guys did if there are actual consequences (i.e., giving up goals). Yet another consequence of us being completely horrible and predictable on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad