03-04 Flames vs 05-06 Oilers - Best of 7

Who would win best of 7 series?

• 03-04 Flames

• 05-06 Oilers

Results are only viewable after voting.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Calgary would definitely be the favourite. If you look at their record that season in the second half (after getting Kipper) they were a top team in the league. They also beat\lost to tougher teams in the playoffs.

04 Detroit>=06 Detroit
04 Vancouver>06 San Jose
04 San Jose>06 Anaheim
04 Tampa>06 Carolina

BUT who knows in a playoff round what ends up happening.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Calgary would definitely be the favourite. If you look at their record that season in the second half (after getting Kipper) they were a top team in the league. They also beat\lost to tougher teams in the playoffs.

04 Detroit>=06 Detroit
04 Vancouver>06 San Jose
04 San Jose>06 Anaheim

04 Tampa>06 Carolina

BUT who knows in a playoff round what ends up happening.

You've got to be kidding.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
That's the least controversial one. Vancouver was without Bertuzzi and had a goaltending carousel.

Yeah I'd probably change that one looking at it closer. Probably should have just put it round by round and done it more like:

04 Vancouver << 06 Detroit
04 Detroit > 06 San Jose
04 San Jose > 06 Anaheim
04 Tampa >> 06 Carolina

Which still makes Calgary's road tougher. Calgary played four regular season division leaders and the top teams in both conferences. Edmonton played two division leaders and only one conference leader.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The 2006 Oilers were an excellent team held back by some truly atrocious goaltending for the majority of the season. With even an average goalie they would have run away with the Northwest and not been a surprise in the playoffs.

Semoner403

Feb 20, 2006
calgary
Flames fan voted oilers. Yuck

calgary was more of a Cinderella team imo. Our roster truly was pretty awful. It was all iginla and kipper mixed in with some timely goals from the rest. The oilers had the better team as much as it pains me to say.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I'd probably change that one looking at it closer. Probably should have just put it round by round and done it more like:

04 Vancouver << 06 Detroit
04 Detroit > 06 San Jose
04 San Jose > 06 Anaheim
04 Tampa >> 06 Carolina

Which still makes Calgary's road tougher. Calgary played four regular season division leaders and the top teams in both conferences. Edmonton played two division leaders and only one conference leader.

Carolina is so underrated. 112 point team despite average goaltending in the regular season, who added two top-6 players at the deadline, then got elite goaltending in the playoffs. I really don't see what makes Tampa any better.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The Oilers had a pretty good team that year but were held back by putrid goaltending until the trade deadline. If they had Roloson all year the Oilers would have easily won the division and no one would have considered them a cinderella team at all.

Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Voted Flames, since they were robbed of the cup by officials.

Those Flames and Oilers teams are pretty even though imo

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
It wouldn't have been an easy series by any means especially considering the Flames dominance over the Oilers in the regular season

But I would think even if you're an non-Oilers fan, it's hard not to take the team that caught lightning in the bottle that year. The only team that was able to stop them was Carolina, who run roughshod over everyone that season with their lethal PP. The Flames might have been able to win based on Kipprusoff's mastery of the Oilers, but off the top of my head I don't think their special teams were all that great

Carolina is an underrated champion. Their PP was such a sure thing you knew you would get scored on if you took a penalty. That (coupled with timely goaltending by Ward) is why they won. Similarly the 1991 Minnesota North Stars are another team that dominated (the postseason anyways) games off a deadly power play. There are many others of course.

Teams that go on lengthy postseason runs based a sure thing on the PP are kinda rare but that's what makes them so interesting. They usually play a more entertaining style too. It is one of the reasons I believe the Oilers would have went on a run in a hypothetical 2020 playoffs. in my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad