012' Defensemen Offensive Potential

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Dutch Dreams, Jul 22, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Dutch Dreams

Dutch Dreams Registered User

Next draft is definitely that of the defenseman.

Outside of Murray, Ebert and Reinhart, who all seem to be comfortably projected in and around the top-5, there are guys like Trouba, Dumba, Rielly, Pouliot, Maatta, Curcuruto, Koekkoek, Ceci, Schmaltz, etc.. who could go anywhere.

With so many impressive defensemen, it's been difficult for me to figure who exactly are those with the most impressive offensive upside, as there are a lot of conflicting reports surrounding such a deep class.

At first glance, it seems like Trouba and Dumba have the most clear offensive potential, but then I start hearing about a guy like Koekkoek or, more recently, Schmaltz. Then I come across a real good report on Rielly's offensive ability. And Pouliot's, Curcuruto's, Ceci's, etc.. Then all of a sudden a guy named Maatta appears on the scene.

Obviously next year there is going to be a lot of offensive potential to be sorted out, as some will improve more than others, but I'd like to ask, at this point, which guys do you see especially high upside in at the moment, and why?

2. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    012'? Haha

For me, Morgan Rielly likely has the most pure offensive upside out of the WHL defenders. Elite skater, amazing vision from the blueline. I think a guy like Murray is a safer bet to reach his potential offensively, but Rielly is one to watch for sure.

Dumba would be also in the top 3 offensively from the Dub.

3. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

another insanely gifted offensive defensemen not listed is Brian Cooper - Fargo - USHL. The kid has highend offensive talent and is looking like a top 30 pick. He could be in the top 5 for offensively gifted dmen for this draft, but is on the smaller side.

Also keep an eye on Brady Skjei - USNDP - USHL - this kid has the talent to be tossed around in the top 30-40 as well. maybe not as offensively gifted as some of the others, but still worthy of being included in this list. solid size and vision makes this kid worthy of a serious look.

tons of great dmen for this draft no doubt, very hard to rank or judge them at this point. I really like Trouba as he reminds me of a younger Jack Johnson - physical and offensively gifted.

Cant go wrong with many of these kids at this point, cant wait until the season starts.

4. Dutch Dreams

Never mind..

5. B Boarding

B Boarding Registered User

6. Coco the Monkey*

Coco the Monkey* Registered User

7. DJB

DJB #MELNYKOUT

A bit OT but does anyone know if Trouba is left or right shooting, can't seem to find it anywhere...

There also seems to be a plethora of right handed d this year.

8. Rshields

Rshields Registered User

I think Rielly has the most potential because most games he can look good but it seems sometimes he just takes control of the game and is at another level. I'm looking forward to seeing him play consistently at a high level. Hope the new coach in MJ lets him go.

9. Jabba11

Jabba11 Hockey Lobby

Home Page:
    Michael Matheson - Quebec Midget AAA going to play for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL

He was touted as the number 1 pick in the Q draft in 2010 but has committed to BC and wanted to go the NCAA route. He is really poised with the puck and has a very good offensive upside.

NHL comparison: Keith Yandle

10. Dutch Dreams

He's a right-hander. If you're not sure of which side a player shoots then look him up, but on google images, to see which hand stick he's using in the pictures haha..

As for most of them being right-handed. It definitely appears that way, as most of the right-handers are real explosive guys. However, looking at it more closely reveals there are just as many impressive left-handers. Their games overall are just more rounded.

LH
    Murray
    Reinhart
    Rielly
    Maatta
    Koekkoek
    Pouliot
    Curcuruto

RH
    Ebert
    Dumba
    Trouba
    Schmaltz
    Ceci

11. DJB

DJB #MELNYKOUT

Dang, why didn't I think of that lol... :laugh: I was always using hockeydb or some other site...

Good list there, thanks! :)

12. ottawah

ottawah Registered User

I can comment directly on Ceci as I have seen him a lot, even before the OHL. He also has pretty good offensive upside. A hard shot and good hard passes. The only knock on him I had the first 1.5 years of his OHL career was that he played it too safe and passive. For some reason halfway through the year last year he started to get involved in the play which he had not before. Point totals showed it. 5 points in his first 25 games, 29 in the following 40 games. Stretch at the end of the year included 7 goals through 14 games. In fact he had double the points Ebert did through the latter part of the year.

He basically stepped it up hard when Ottawa needed it, and was their top D man at the end of the year.

And if he is not the best skating D man in the draft (OK, Murray is better), he is not very far behind, and he is probably the second biggest top D prospect outside of Reinhart.

Being a third year player though he will see some downside as scouts will look at second years risers more often than not.

On the plus side though he will be one the D men drafted next year that will be close to NHL ready. His skating, size and defensive awareness are all at the top of his draft class (which usually hold young D back), so expect him to be NHL ready before a number of the prospects.

I would think the scouts would project his upside as a 3/4 D man in the league. Big, but not quite physical enough, good offensive skills, but not likely a top PP quarterback, and defensively quite conservative.

13. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Murray is right now the best out of all.

Ebert, Reilly, Trouba, and Koekkoek are others who all have good offensive potential.

Pouliot on the other hand was a huge disappointment for me last season, lets hope he improves.

14. Vaclav Varada

Vaclav Varada CoJo

I think Ceci could hit 50 points this year for the 67s. I expect huge things out of him

15. Sore Loser

Sore Loser Sorest of them all

Job?
    Reid Gow could have a big year for the Spokane Chiefs as well, he'll be playing a much larger role on a team that really relies on it's defense to get the play moving. He could be a sleeper to climb the draft rankings by the end of the season.

Derrick Pouliot is a major threat offensively already, and with Portland returning another solid team, this is a guy that could really turn some heads as the season wears on. I think Pouliot's offensive potential is definitely higher than a guy like Ryan Murray. That being said, Murray is probably the safest pick in the entire draft, and has #1 NHL defenseman written all over him.

16. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    I agree Gow is definitely a sleeper and imo will be a really solid 2nd rounder, but Pouliot lacked physical strength and had tons of defensive laps last season. Murray has better potential all around including offensive potential.

17. Sore Loser

Sore Loser Sorest of them all

Job?
    Pouliot does need to add some bulk, but so did Ryan Nugent-Hopkins heading into this last season. It's definitely do-able.

The entire Portland team had defensive "huh?" moments last year, but I honestly didn't think Pouliot was that bad in the games I saw ... and I saw quite a few of them. I was more concerned about guys like Morrow and Rutkowski, in fact, than I was Pouliot. The important thing to remember is that he was only 16, and to show the offensive confidence that he did is very impressive. His defensive game will come along.

18. Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket Leaf Fan Till I Die

Student
    Im going to go with Ebert, I think Murray will be someone special but ebert will surprise a lot of people.

19. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    Most people have very high expectations of Ebert this coming year, I think he'll surprise people but not in a positive way.

20. 5 14 6 1

5 14 6 1 We are the 11.5%

Is it wrong that I'm more excited at the prospect of having someone with same last name in the show (Schmaltz) as me than I am for the actual draft? :laugh:

The NHL video game would finally be able to pronounce my name instead of some generic nickname ;)

21. saska sault

saska sault Registered User

Curcuruto was arguably the Hounds best defensemen this year, he didnt put up the greatest numbers, but very good numbers for a 16 year old on a last place team. I see him as a first rounder easily this year, unless he takes some major steps back. Plays a very simple, effective game, but has flashes of brilliance. Almost a Lidstrom type.

22. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Listen to this man. He's probably the best offensive defenseman I've seen in this league. If he works on his discipline, sky's the limit. He's been the best defenseman on the team the last two seasons.

23. Foxlockbox

Foxlockbox :laugh: is my period

Ville Pokka's offensive ability is pretty highly thought of around here.

24. i love staal

i love staal Registered User

Apart from those guys you mentioned, who are seen as the truly elite defenders, I would say Dumba or Schmaltz have the most offensive potential. I see Dumba potentially being a Ryan Murphy type of this year with better defensive zone coverage skills. He moves the puck well, and has incredible quickness. His shot is decent, but he really can skate confidently with teh puck.

Schmaltz is a pp qb of an NHL team in the future. The guy passes so well, and has an extremely good shot. At the same time, we saw towards the end of the USHL season he was more confident in carrying the puck. I expect him to score a ppg this year or more at the USHL level, which is impressive for an offsneive player let alone a draft eligible defenseman. Ceci to me has not put his offensive abilities together, and I see him more as a very good defnesive dman with some two way ability. Great shot though. THe others to be honest have yet to see much of.

25. SI90

SI90 Registered User

Reinhart stands out to me......