⭐2018-2019 Regular Season General Discussion (Polak Praise Posts ONLY)⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Seriously this is actually kind of wierd

This is the most recent thing i could find . Some strange PR event where Miro and Liljegren open cardpacks and look really bored . Lol

God that was hard to watch. I had to skip around it was so bad

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Does anyone think Carrick can play well enough to pair with Heiskanen and then Methot play with Honka.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Does anyone think Carrick can play well enough to pair with Heiskanen and then Methot play with Honka.

Maybe ? Babcock didn't like Carrick and thought he was too small but then again so did alot of people with Robidas or Kris Russel who are also around that size and turned out to be decent NHL players.

Coaching staff probably still likes to have Heiskanen out there with an veteran for a few more games . As the season goes along who knows.

Whoever plays with Miro needs to be able to handle 20+ minutes and right now i don't trust Carrick , Honka and especially Polak with those kinds of minutes. Really hoping Methot can stay healthy for a longer period of time this year or Johns stops having headaches 24/7 permanently .

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
One thing I've noticed is that the Stars PK really is not aggressive at all. I mean there is almost no pressure applied to the powerplay guys and they're allowed to skate all over. That's not gonna work out well with the Jets tomorrow

Reactions: Smelling Salt

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
One thing I've noticed is that the Stars PK really is not aggressive at all. I mean there is almost no pressure applied to the powerplay guys and they're allowed to skate all over. That's not gonna work out well with the Jets tomorrow

I agree - this was actually the one element of Heiskanen's game I wasn't impressed with, but it was the whole unit and not just him. They were very passive and just stuck to their box, which works to an extent. That will get shredded by better teams (e.g. the Jets) who are much more aggressive on the PP and can get shots through traffic.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I agree - this was actually the one element of Heiskanen's game I wasn't impressed with, but it was the whole unit and not just him. They were very passive and just stuck to their box, which works to an extent. That will get shredded by better teams (e.g. the Jets) who are much more aggressive on the PP and can get shots through traffic.

Yeah I've noticed Heiskanen isn't too aggressive when it comes to players with the puck in the D-zone. Usually keeps his distance and keeps his stick in their lane, but also doesn't move his feet much. Idk if this is to avoid getting out of position or what, but I've actually seen a couple of the Stars dmen do it so it's possible this is Monty wanting them to give Bishop a clear look at the puck.

I agree, this definitely will not work against more skilled teams and better powerplays.

In fact, the reason the Stars talented powerplay struggles a lot is because of how aggressive the other teams penalty killers are.

Monty may view that as a good way to wear down your penalty killers though and get them out of position, which I also do agree partly with cause it makes sense. Its risky but not being aggressive puts a lot of pressure on your goaltender

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It very well could be a college system thing. The NHL is significantly faster and more skilled (obviously), and some tactics simply won't translate. Will be interesting to see if that adjusts.

Isn't one of the assistant/associate coaches in charge of the PK? I can't remember how all of that is broken up.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It very well could be a college system thing. The NHL is significantly faster and more skilled (obviously), and some tactics simply won't translate. Will be interesting to see if that adjusts.

Isn't one of the assistant/associate coaches in charge of the PK? I can't remember how all of that is broken up.

It's Todd Nelson or Rick Bowness...not entirely sure which is in charge of the PK though...I wanna say Nelson but not 100% positive. I Do know though that in the preseason Monty complained about the PK not being aggressive enough

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's Todd Nelson or Rick Bowness...not entirely sure which is in charge of the PK though...I wanna say Nelson but not 100% positive. I Do know though that in the preseason Monty complained about the PK not being aggressive enough

I think it's Bowness. He's pretty terrible and I really don't know why we hired him.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No, I thought it was a bad hire initially. Most of us here did IIRC.

I don't remember people commenting on this hiring.

I'd be curious to know why people thought it was a bad hire too. What's your criteria that makes him fall into the bad hire box?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It's amazing that you can have an opinion on an assistant coach, unless you followed his previous team closely. I'm genuinely interested. Especially one that came from a solid Tampa Bay organization and also coached the Canucks during their heyday.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't remember people commenting on this hiring.

I'd be curious to know why people thought it was a bad hire too. What's your criteria that makes him fall into the bad hire box?

Dallas Stars: Assessing New Assistant Coach Rick Bowness

Despite the great defensive units he’s has in Tampa, they never seem to put up great defensive stats (maybe your advanced stats disagree but I don’t put a ton of weight into those). As the article says, their possession stats are good, but you have to wonder how much of that can be attributed to Bowness. He was in charge of the PK which was pretty meh.

Probably not the worst hire, but I’m not a fan of Bowness. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but his track record points to that not being the case.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's amazing that you can have an opinion on an assistant coach, unless you followed his previous team closely. I'm genuinely interested. Especially one that came from a solid Tampa Bay organization and also coached the Canucks during their heyday.

I actually have watched Tampa quite a bit during his tenure there (they’re my #2 team). Can’t speak a ton to his exact mark on the team, but their PK was never really impressive and that’s what he ran there.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Dallas Stars: Assessing New Assistant Coach Rick Bowness

Despite the great defensive units he’s has in Tampa, they never seem to put up great defensive stats (maybe your advanced stats disagree but I don’t put a ton of weight into those). As the article says, their possession stats are good, but you have to wonder how much of that can be attributed to Bowness. He was in charge of the PK which was pretty meh.

Probably not the worst hire, but I’m not a fan of Bowness. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but his track record points to that not being the case.

I saw that article before responding to your post. It wasn't very that informative. The information was very basic.

I just looked at Tampa's PK results from 2013-14 to 2017-18 and they were 14th in the league in that span.

Vancouver from 2006-07 to 2012-13 were 3rd in PK%.

Both teams were in the bottom half of the league for shots against/game.

I just don't know how much of the success is attributed to an assistant coach versus the players they have at their disposal. I think the information we have as fans and the lack of insight into how the assistant coaches do their job hinders our ability to judge an assistant coach whos team has performed ~~average~~.

In terms of assistants that run the powerplay, I think these are "easier". Still difficult. I don't pretend on being a hockej expert so I try to stray away from shitting on assistant coaches.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

This article hits on everything I tried to mention above. Not surprised since he's well respected amongst my Twitter echo chamber.

The biggest issues for the Lighting this season and in recent seasons have been on the blue line. Neutral zone defense and breakouts have been consistent sore points for this team. Some of that is due to personnel decisions. Having players like Dan Girardi, Braydon Coburn, Jason Garrison, Adrej Sustr, and Matt Carle all playing key roles over the last few years hasn’t helped.
While we can’t know exactly how responsibility is divvied up in the coaches’ room, it appears that this is the most logical change to make after a mostly strong season. If the understanding is that Bowness led the defense and the penalty kill, and those are deemed the primary areas of weakness, looking to make changes there makes sense.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I saw that article before responding to your post. It wasn't very that informative. The information was very basic.

I just looked at Tampa's PK results from 2013-14 to 2017-18 and they were 14th in the league in that span.

Vancouver from 2006-07 to 2012-13 were 3rd in PK%.

Both teams were in the bottom half of the league for shots against/game.

I just don't know how much of the success is attributed to an assistant coach versus the players they have at their disposal. I think the information we have as fans and the lack of insight into how the assistant coaches do their job hinders our ability to judge an assistant coach whos team has performed ~~average~~.

In terms of assistants that run the powerplay, I think these are "easier". Still difficult. I don't pretend on being a hockej expert so I try to stray away from ****ting on assistant coaches.

Fair enough. Bowness is one of the most experienced coaches in the NHL and was partially brought to Tampa to serve as a mentor for Jon Cooper - I would imagine there was similar reasoning with Montgomery here. But his PK in Tampa never impressed me, despite always having quality top pairing defenders who carried a heavy load. It's just one game, but the PK against the Coyotes seemed similar to that. I suppose we'll see going forward if that changes or not, but you're right in that it will be impossible for us to attribute that to one particular person.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Unpopular opinion: I think Devin Shore will put up more points and goals than Janmark this season

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Unpopular opinion: I think Devin Shore will put up more points and goals than Janmark this season

Is this a hot take though? He had two points less than Janmark last year

Only crazy MJN fans will strongly disagree with you

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
So when Nichushkin gets back in, hopefully Tue against Leafs, who comes out?

I say Dickinson. Hintz has looked better as well as Ritchie who most of us had tossed out.

Nichushkin, another big bodied RW looks to fit really well with Montgomery’s style.

Last edited:
Reactions: serp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So when Nichushkin gets back in, hopefully Tue against Leafs, who comes out?

I say Dickinson. Hintz has looked better as well as Ritchie who a lot of us were ready to toss out.

Yeah i would think so too . Dickinson was pretty invisible so far. Hintz and Ritchie each did more to stay in . Hope including Val can give the 2nd line a boost . Comeau has been ok but not really top 6 material .

Val probably could've played yesterday but its not like the team needed to rush it. Make sure he's fully ready to go .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad