⭐2018-2019 Regular Season General Discussion (Polak Praise Posts ONLY)⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
If anyone knows, please feel free to tell me what Ritchie has done to keep a roster spot for this long. Wish they'd ask Monty that.

On the bright side, at least Radulov is back

Yeah, it's like Gurianov apparently hasn't done enough to make a move to keep him up, yet Ritchie does absolutely nothing aside from throwing his body around a bit. It's bizarre.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
With Nylander allegedly to be "officially" on the block, do you give up Robertson in a package while he is probably at peak value?

I do - easily.

Easily yeah but they'll be more interested in a roster young defensive dman imo which we just can't afford to do/don't have any to spare

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars can't offer any kind of defense with their injury situation. So i doubt Nylander is even remotely realistic here. Not even sure how we get his contract under the cap without having to send Toronto Hanzal or something else they don't want.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I think they could be trying to play Ritchie some and get him some pts so they don't sell him for absolutely nothing?

Everyone always says GMs are constantly talking.. who knows if we eventually pull a swap here

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gurianov is wasted when he's not in the top 6 . If Nichuskin and Shore occupy the two slots that aren't Seguin , Benn , Radolov and Spezza i get why he went down. Denis does make the team better than Ritchie/Smith but Ritchie or Smith aren't wasted playing 4th basically no minutes . No its their job.

Cap implications is another thing. I honestly don't really know how this all works in the end and where we are capwise without the IR'ed players and what implications this has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016

So Klingberg and Carrick out for a couple of weeks. Hope Methot can get healthy enough we don't have to rely too much on the callups.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Nill better be going hard after Nylander. If he's not making an effort after watching this team on a nightly basis....oh boy.

Lindell + a 1st
Lindell + Robertson
Robertson + a 1st

I assume it would have to be a defender though. Maybe they would take a slug like Ritchie as an add in any of the above deals and the Stars could gain some additional cap room. I don't want to give up Lindell, but the Stars need offensive forwards badly and the Leafs are presumably looking for D and trading Lindell would also make some cap room going forward. Nylander's supposed 8 mill ask is ridiculous and a concern and I would rather give that money to Panarin, but pay him 7 if you have to and just get it done.

Benn/Seguin/Rads are not going to get any better as they get older. Need an injection of REAL skilled youth.

If Nill can't get a deal done on Nylander or Panarin or someone close to that, please be gone. And take the amateur scouts with you.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I doubt Nill trades any D right now, much less Lindell.

Not sure he has any interest in Nylander, given the value.

He has scored 20 and 22 goals the last two years, wants what, $6-7M? Shore will score (barring more injury) at least 15 goals for about $5M less. Spezza (if resigned cheaper) maybe Guri, Nuke, Pitlick, etc. can all score similarly.

Can he really pay what would be the fourth highest producing forward anywhere near Rads money? Is an additional $4-5M in salary worth 5-7 more goals? That is close to $1M per goal. Benn and Seguin and Rads are about $225K per goal.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Don't get me wrong, everyone knows we need another top 6 forward. It is clear this team's talent level is still mid pack, borderline playoff, despite upgraded goaltending, a nice add on D with Miro, etc.

I am just saying I doubt value seeking JN will pull that trigger, unless he feels his job is in real jeopardy, which it might be.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I hear ya, but the Stars have to be in desperation mode.

- they do not have the horses currently to compete for anything other than a wild card at best
- they don't have any blue chippers at forward in the pipe so it's not going to get better down the road
- Spezza will gone after this season and Nylander can play Center

I don't think you can compare Nylander and Shore in that way. Nylander is a much better hockey player. It's not close.

I also don't think you can say "you can't pay him that because he would be the 4th highest producing forward". Picking him up would be for today, and for the next 10 years. Benn in two years frightens me. Radulov God bless him is no spring chicken. Seguin cannot create offense by himself.

If our depth scoring is bad now, wait until we get Dickinson or Faksa as 2nd line Center lol. We need legit, top flight scoring now and for the future. No more slugs, no more dime a dozen two way guys, no more aging vets. Nill put himself in this position by drafting absolutely horribly, now he needs to do something about it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I’d like to give Benn and Seguin some more time before we start making drastic moves. They’re still producing decently, and for all we know this could just be a long cold streak.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Lindell + a 1st
This is just bad, especially since we have nothing but spares to replace him with

I doubt Nill trades any D right now, much less Lindell.

Not sure he has any interest in Nylander, given the value.

He has scored 20 and 22 goals the last two years, wants what, $6-7M? Shore will score (barring more injury) at least 15 goals for about $5M less. Spezza (if resigned cheaper) maybe Guri, Nuke, Pitlick, etc. can all score similarly.

Can he really pay what would be the fourth highest producing forward anywhere near Rads money? Is an additional $4-5M in salary worth 5-7 more goals? That is close to $1M per goal. Benn and Seguin and Rads are about $225K per goal.

Yeah maybe he only scores 5-7 more goals, but he also produces 30-40 more points. I agree for the money he's looking for, which for all we know if roughly fair or maybe only slightly high (7.25-7.5), after all Toronto is trying to force a "discount" because of the Tavares signing.

I'd absolutely give Nylander 7, knowing full well he's capable of 60-70p can potentially shift into our 2nd line center for the future as well, especially since we don't have one coming internally anytime soon, depending on how trash this team continues to be, we might be able to draft one this year though.

That said Nylander is not worth giving up Lindell for.
Especially since our Defense is such a hot collection of garbage outside the big 3, and with nothing special on the way. Unless you want Nill bringing more Polaks and Russels on board

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I am sure we would all be jumping up and down for Nylander if Nill made a non Lindell deal. Yes, he is better than Shore, but my feeling is that if Seguin can't make more than Benn, Nylander can't make more than Rads, so we would need an agreement he would sign for about $6-6.25M and be happy to do it in DFW, perhaps because of taxes or what not.

After the last few games, whatever trade bait Honka was, he is no more. We are stuck with him as a D now, hopefully in the 3rd pair with a good D partner. Too many bad decisions. Thinking too much, etc. Toronto needs a D and maybe picks because of their cap situation. As mentioned, we just don't have a suitable D we can afford to give up. Maybe with medical assurances they take a chance on Johns? Would be easier to let go because he isn't on the ice full time now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The other question is whether we really think one more top six (and expensive) forward is all this team needs to make the jump in the Central division? Certainly, there are no guarantees, since WPG and NSH are currently so stacked. Even Wild looking surprisingly good, w/o superstars but playing good team game.

Are we really playing a good team game? Do we really have a hard working (see: Power play again standing around a lot) or winning culture?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I am sure we would all be jumping up and down for Nylander if Nill made a non Lindell deal. Yes, he is better than Shore, but my feeling is that if Seguin can't make more than Benn, Nylander can't make more than Rads, so we would need an agreement he would sign for about $6-6.25M and be happy to do it in DFW, perhaps because of taxes or what not.

After the last few games, whatever trade bait Honka was, he is no more. We are stuck with him as a D now, hopefully in the 3rd pair with a good D partner. Too many bad decisions. Thinking too much, etc. Toronto needs a D and maybe picks because of their cap situation. As mentioned, we just don't have a suitable D we can afford to give up. Maybe with medical assurances they take a chance on Johns? Would be easier to let go because he isn't on the ice full time now.

Seguin DOES make more than Benn

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
That said Nylander is not worth giving up Lindell for.

Especially since our Defense is such a hot collection of garbage outside the big 3, and with nothing special on the way. Unless you want Nill bringing more Polaks and Russels on board

I don't want to give up Lindell either and I realize it would leave a hole in the D, but going from assumption that is what Toronto is going to want. And Nylander does fill a HUGE gap up front. I'd argue it's a more important gap filled than the one Lindell would leave behind with whomever replaces him.

No doubt the Stars would have to spice up any offer since there will be many suitors.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
The other question is whether we really think one more top six (and expensive) forward is all this team needs to make the jump in the Central division? Certainly, there are no guarantees, since WPG and NSH are currently so stacked. Even Wild looking surprisingly good, w/o superstars but playing good team game.

For this year I don't know to be honest. Maybe 3rd place instead of clawing for a WC spot. But it's for going forward too. It's another young GOOD player to build around.

Are we really playing a good team game?

Nope. Not at all.

Do we really have a hard working (see: Power play again standing around a lot)

I don't think so, as long as you believe we aren't playing a good team game. But our game lacks speed, or it's the system making the Stars look slow. Or some of both. I honestly don't know.

or winning culture?

Hard thing to define. Stars have been a middling team for so long who knows. I would *think* Seguin wouldn't commit here if the room sucked. He's no dummy.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Good point on Seguin. That always has to be hard. Was it Hossa who jumped from team to team, just missing the Cup for a few years (think he finally won with Chicago) Certainly no guarantees on any team, but yes, Seguin has to believe Stars have as good a chance as any.

Wonder if Nill/TG gave him any preview of moves to come to help convince him? If that happened to include going after more top 6 help, maybe a Nylander deal is incoming. Only problem is, like EK and others, we can't dangle too much. A mid first, Honka as a throw in, Shore picking up value, Hintz and JD said to be attractive, maybe even DG now, too. And, Robertson. Again, with his promise, and DG, I think Nill will opt to bring JR up early and DG this year and try to get his new top 6 forward internally. Oh yeah, and still believe Nuke will be a goal scorer.

There is always hope we can go the NJ Devils route in their prime with a bunch of 15-20 goal scorers. Only problem is, all tantalize from game to game, none really shows as a powerhouse scorer at the NHL level yet.

I would guess our top 3 compare to anyone, top 4 with Klinger? Who is better? Pens with Sid, Malkin, Kessel, LeTang? Leafs FW with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly (7 goals on D) Oilers now that power house Alex Chaisson has 6 goals?

Which puts us back at depth to improve.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If the Stars don't make a call-up today then I assume there won't be one at all. Would make sense to call them up before practice tomorrow but maybe they don't care about that as much? Still plenty of day left though and if I remember correctly Gurianov was called up pretty late last time

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Good point on Seguin. That always has to be hard. Was it Hossa who jumped from team to team, just missing the Cup for a few years (think he finally won with Chicago) Certainly no guarantees on any team, but yes, Seguin has to believe Stars have as good a chance as any.

Wonder if Nill/TG gave him any preview of moves to come to help convince him? If that happened to include going after more top 6 help, maybe a Nylander deal is incoming. Only problem is, like EK and others, we can't dangle too much. A mid first, Honka as a throw in, Shore picking up value, Hintz and JD said to be attractive, maybe even DG now, too. And, Robertson. Again, with his promise, and DG, I think Nill will opt to bring JR up early and DG this year and try to get his new top 6 forward internally. Oh yeah, and still believe Nuke will be a goal scorer.

There is always hope we can go the NJ Devils route in their prime with a bunch of 15-20 goal scorers. Only problem is, all tantalize from game to game, none really shows as a powerhouse scorer at the NHL level yet.

I would guess our top 3 compare to anyone, top 4 with Klinger? Who is better? Pens with Sid, Malkin, Kessel, LeTang? Leafs FW with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly (7 goals on D) Oilers now that power house Alex Chaisson has 6 goals?

Which puts us back at depth to improve.

EK went for peanuts (as did Hoffman and Kane) we could have exceed or matched, probably a bad example to use as we stopped ourselves(from EK) by taking Dellandrea and hintz "off the table" because Nill is Pejorative Slured
And Nill again sat on his hands with Hoffman for some unknown reason, but jumped at the chance for Polak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad