⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
The game against Pittsburgh is going to be the game of the month. IMO one team will get to double digits.

I think Toronto will steam-roll winnipeg.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Team is looking real good right now, 6-1-0 is pretty much as close to a dream start to a season that you can get.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
This is the most entertaining Leafs since early 2000´s. Maybe lacks characters like Tucker and McCabe but on the other hand top offensive players are better.

Looks so so promising in terms of the cup. I would say that if this core enters their prime with another top defenceman.... How can they not win at least once in the next 6-7 years?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is the most entertaining Leafs since early 2000´s. Maybe lacks characters like Tucker and McCabe but on the other hand top offensive players are better.

Looks so so promising in terms of the cup. I would say that if this core enters their prime with another top defenceman.... How can they not win at least once in the next 6-7 years?

How can they not win?

Have you not watching this team the last 51 years? :laugh:

Even when we are poised to win, something happens. Gretzky high stick, Domi elbow, Sundin returns and everyone else stops playing, etc

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Combine Zetterberg and Datsyuk together and add an elite shot. The product is Auston Matthews this year, putting it all together so far for the first time.

Best defensive player on the team (including defenseman) best possession player, his weakest aspect is the power play. He could kill penalties at a top level if we needed that as well no doubt in my mind
Auston has been pretty dreadful defensively so far this season, and he's been closer to our worst player by possession (unless you mean something else than shot metrics) than our best.

I'm sure he could PK though. Granted, I'm of the opinion that player ability to influence PK results is fairly limited. There's very few players that significantly alter short-handed results. It's mostly a question of being willing to do the job, and then executing the system.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Auston has been pretty dreadful defensively so far this season, and he's been closer to our worst player by possession (unless you mean something else than shot metrics) than our best.

I'm sure he could PK though. Granted, I'm of the opinion that player ability to influence PK results is fairly limited. There's very few players that significantly alter short-handed results. It's mostly a question of being willing to do the job, and then executing the system.
I think Matthews is very good defensively from an individual standpoint, but the team based metrics like corsi aren't good. he can do everything you want from a player in terms of winning puck battles all over the ice, winning faceoffs, stripping the puck, and recovering loose pucks in every zone. he's strong at backchecking and is good at getting into shooting and passing lanes. I am sure it will eventually lead into stronger metrics

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think Matthews is very good defensively from an individual standpoint, but the team based metrics like corsi aren't good. he can do everything you want from a player in terms of winning puck battles all over the ice, winning faceoffs, stripping the puck, and recovering loose pucks in every zone. he's strong at backchecking and is good at getting into shooting and passing lanes. I am sure it will eventually lead into stronger metrics
Talking about his career, I absolutely agree. Completely. However, so far this season he's taken quite a few shortcuts that lesser players would be hung for. Once engaged, he's been good. However, there's been a lot of times so far that he's not where he should be, where he doesn't stay with his guy all the way.

I don't think that's something to worry about. Feels like the start of the season can be wonky like that for a lot of players, albeit for different reasons. If I felt like that in the second quarter, it would be worrying.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017

Quotes like this is why, especially in smaller sample sizes like we've had this season, we need to put more emphasis on the game less on the box score/corsi. But even if we did only watch the box score, I would think people would notice that Auston's puck luck defensively this season has been worse than his offensive puck luck has been good (starting to trend back upwards though)

In short, Auston has been nothing remotely close to resembling dreadful defensively so far this season.

Take last night for example, he got out corsi'd in a big way, that whole line did, and the whole team did, yet you're kidding yourself if you think the Leafs didn't vastly outplay the Kings, and Matthews and his line definitely outplayed to Kopitar line with Doughty back up - offensively and defensively, just take a look at the heat map from last night, Kings were taking weak shots from everywhere while we had a large concentration of shots in the slot and around the net and barely even shot from low danger areas in the offensive zone.

Matthews has been our most reliable forward recovering the puck in the D zone and then transitioning it out so far, not saying he's been amazing on that side of the puck so far, but he's certainly been very far away from "dreadful" thus far.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Quotes like this is why, especially in smaller sample sizes like we've had this season, we need to put more emphasis on the game less on the box score/corsi. But even if we did only watch the box score, I would think people would notice that Auston's puck luck defensively this season has been worse than his offensive puck luck has been good (starting to trend back upwards though)

In short, Auston has been nothing remotely close to resembling dreadful defensively so far this season.

Take last night for example, he got out corsi'd in a big way, that whole line did, and the whole team did, yet you're kidding yourself if you think the Leafs didn't vastly outplay the Kings, and Matthews and his line definitely outplayed to Kopitar line with Doughty back up - offensively and defensively, just take a look at the heat map from last night, Kings were taking weak shots from everywhere while we had a large concentration of shots in the slot and around the net and barely even shot from low danger areas in the offensive zone.

Matthews has been our most reliable forward recovering the puck in the D zone and then transitioning it out so far, not saying he's been amazing on that side of the puck so far, but he's certainly been very far away from "dreadful" thus far.
My comment about his defensive work has absolutely nothing to do with any shot metrics. I don't do shot metrics in small sample sizes, I find that useless. I definitely don't base it on the box score. Your whole counter to my point has been based on a erroneous assumption.

I've done full game reviews on these boards for years before this season, and while I don't have time for that anymore I still do mental notes on each player after each game. I've had concerns about Matthews defense in every game so far. Like I outlined earlier, while he does well when he's engaged, he is far too often off in his positioning or letting his player get away from him. He's been nonchalant in caring for the puck on the breakout.

It's early. Too early to worry. But that doesn't change my impressions, only how much I think they matter.

Last edited:

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
It's way too early because there's nothing worth worrying about.

IMO, it sounds like you simply have him under a microscope to the extent that even Bergeron wouldn't look that great defensively if you nitpick every single small happenstance in the game.

Just because he hasn't played perfect defensively most games so far doesn't mean he's played bad defensively in a game.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Mirtle Notebook: Things I think about the Maple Leafs, Vol.
To some extent. What feels problematic about where the Leafs are at is even when they have generated offence, they are overly reliant on the power play. At 5-on-5, Toronto is producing a very average 2.8 goals per 60, which is low given their personnel.

The Leafs are also average in possession (50.2 CF%) and sit 19th in shots per minute (29.3) at even strength.

You can make the argument that they’re one of best special teams teams in the NHL early on, as the results even on the penalty kill are there. But these Leafs look a little ordinary at even strength.

Part of the issue, as Jonas Siegel hits on today, is their forward depth. No William Nylander (and James van Riemsdyk) means weaker wingers for both Auston Matthews and Nazem Kadri.

Statistically, the two most alarming things you can see in the Leafs’ even-strength results are (a) what is happening with the Gardiner-Zaitsev pairing and (b) the Matthews line. Both are getting outshot and outchanced. Both are eating tough matchups and not exactly excelling night to night.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
10 games in, Leafs are last in PP Opportunities / GP.

One of the NHL's top scoring teams is last in PP opps.... go figure...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
10 games in we're 7-3 and tied for 2nd overall by PTS%. I'm also pretty sure we can play a lot better than we've been playing so hard not to be pleased. Really happy we didn't piss away that lead last night or we might be 6-4 today, the sky would be falling and people would be calling for the coach to be fired. Oh wait, that's happening anyway, never mind. :)

Andersen's SV% is up to .916, not bad for October Freddie. I'll be keeping a close eye on him all season as no matter how sexy our forwards are, he's the key to our playoff success. I really hope he starts less games this season, that may be a pipe dream but I digress.

Big game Saturday night, I expect WPG to come out angry and flying. GLG!!

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

member 300185

November not far off and that is the month every year that Tavares starts to get rolling.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As much as I want to blame a conspiracy, I think other teams are being extremely careful of taking penalties against us

There have been very highly questionable missed calls in the last 3 games. That game against Pittsburgh was highly suspect.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or anything but you have to think the Refs are subconsciously aware of what's happening and are letting go of things in the spirit of "let them play" instead of letting a team with a crap ton of fire power getting a man advantage on a 50/50 play. It's dumb.

I remember in last nights game with the Leafs up 4-2, Kapanen was about to pull away from the defensive zone with the puck from around the crease area and Lowry put his offhand across Kapanens chest just enough to slow him down so that he couldn't just speed out right away. It's a penalty in any other game but the Ref just let it go in this one.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
As much as I want to blame a conspiracy, I think other teams are being extremely careful of taking penalties against us

I mostly agree, but there have been some blatenttly missed calls too... I realize it’s a part of the game, but it seems like the Leafs still don’t get they same respect that many other cup contenders get.

Too early to complain, but hopefully we get our fair share of PPs this season....

Reactions: SprDaVE

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd take this argument a lot more seriously if we weren't getting hit with such chintzy calls.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, but I do think refs are concerned about perception and the strength of our PP which impacts how they call the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alerion

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leafscore1.jpg

HockeyIntangibles: Toronto Maple Leafs 2018-19 season: 10 Games In

The Leafs entered the season as a Stanley Cup contender and the expectations that came with it. I think some were expecting the Leafs to go 82-0 but that never happens. We're 10 games into the season and there is a lot to like about this Leafs team and a lot of question marks...

Hope you enjoy guys, Go Leafs Go :)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

10gms in:

43725897_10161003139845029_2720177894373457920_n.jpg

Line 1: Matthews and Kappy have been dynamite offensively against super elite competition , but could do better possession wise. Marleau is starting to look more and more like a drag on this line.

Line 2: Tavares and Marner have been almost as explosive offensively as the top line, against elite but not quite as elite competition, and have been a bit better (but not great) possession wise. Hyman has been a good fit but he's also looking like an overall drag on this line.

Line 3: Has been a good but not great possession line relative to its average 3rd line competition. production hasn't been there yet but will likely come.

Line 4: decent 4th line against super soft competition. this is mostly thanks to leivo, who again deserves to be higher in the lineup. but at least he gets to play this year. baby steps. Johnsson should be in the lineup, too.

Pair 1: Have been excellent relative to their super elite quality of competition. A legit 1st pair.

Pair 2: The biggest issue on the team thus far. They are getting crushed in their 2nd tier quality of competition matchups. And for whatever reason, babs continues to play them more than anyone else. this has been a real problem so far.

Pair 3: Dermott is again making mincemeat out of his soft matchups, and Ozzy is doing pretty well too. They really should be getting heavier duty, especially in light of how badly the 2nd pair has struggled. Marty has been effective when he's played.

Goalies: Andy been a typically average starter so far, sparks 1 good 1 bad game I.e. typical backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad