⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
McElhinney or Pickard werent going to prevent that. Even if we still had them you can bet we'd be making a trade if Andersen got injured for a guy like Condon

Nope. We stuck with mcbackup when andy went down from a concussion and we were fine 2017

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
lol the backup will have to play at least 10-20 games if you don't want your no.1 burned out in the playoffs. The person you're quoting specifically said FIRST place is out of the question with Sparks,

10-20 games from a Sparks that shows no improvement at the NHL level definitely keeps us out of first place in the division.

Do the math. It's not hard.
Ok you’re assuming we lose every single game Sparks plays? You think he’s that bad?

Reactions: stickty111

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Ok you’re assuming we lose every single game Sparks plays? You think he’s that bad?

Do you not remember Enroth and how his play affected the Leaf's play?

I'm gonna guess Sparks doesn't even play 500.

He's gonna be like 8-12.

And no...that will not get us first place.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Do you not remember Enroth and how his play affected the Leaf's play?

I'm gonna guess Sparks doesn't even play 500.

He's gonna be like 8-12.

And no...that will not get us first place.
Why don't you just let him play some games before claiming he's guaranteed to be below .500. Jeepers.

Reactions: Cobra777

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He hasn't exactly been good so far! He needs to settle in early or else that confidence thing will be an issue. One plus for him is that this team can score!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Why don't you just let him play some games before claiming he's guaranteed to be below .500. Jeepers.

We already have. He looked terrible.

I have yet to see him play solid with confidence. And yes, this includes the Marlies.

He's a product of having an amazing team in front of him including defense...

And whats worse is I don't think he can handle the pressure of Toronto's fishbowl mentally. He goes in a slump, it's over.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It matters, but I don’t think it’s a life or death situation. The Leafs are going to have a tough road in the playoffs regardless of where they finish.

Had the Leafs got past Boston, the lowest finishing team they would have had to play was WSH who tied for 6th. Has any team ever won the cup that's had to beat 4 top 6 teams in the playoffs?

You're right that it will likely be a tough road anyway but I'd still much rather have a path where we face 3 top teams instead of 4. It just might make the difference between winning or not winning the cup.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I feel like Tampa is the only lock to be a true juggernaut in the Atlantic.

Boston is OLD. Yes they have nice young pieces, but Bergeron isnt getting any younger and he has had significant injury problems in his career. Chara has to fall off a cliff some day right? They went on an absurd run last year that vaulted them past us. I dont see their season as repeatable

Our issues on D are well documented.

I'm not counting on Boston fading. I hope they do but other than Chara, they're not that old yet and they have some good young players too. Looks like a well balanced, experienced and quite frankly scary team to me. It seems like ever since we signed Tavares so many just assume that it's us and TB and Boston is an afterthought and I just don't see it that way at all. Maybe their age makes it unlikely that they survive a two month grind to go all the way but yeah, not a team I want to play in the first round or two.

I would also add last season Boston was very lucky when they went on that streak of getting at least 1 point in 18 straight games where they went 14-0-4. The odds of them doing that again seems slim and it's the only reason why they were in contention with the Lightning for 1st in the Atlantic.

What was lucky about that streak? I give them full credit for being consistent and playing well when so many here here predicting that they'd come back to earth at any moment.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
We already have. He looked terrible.

I have yet to see him play solid with confidence. And yes, this includes the Marlies.

He's a product of having an amazing team in front of him including defense...

And whats worse is I don't think he can handle the pressure of Toronto's fishbowl mentally. He goes in a slump, it's over.

Ya that .936 save percentage last year must have been all the D. Marincin in particular must have been strong.

I think Sparks and his terrible stretch a few years ago is tainting people's view of him.

Reactions: stickty111

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm not counting on Boston fading. I hope they do but other than Chara, they're not that old yet and they have some good young players too. Looks like a well balanced, experienced and quite frankly scary team to me. It seems like ever since we signed Tavares so many just assume that it's us and TB and Boston is an afterthought and I just don't see it that way at all. Maybe their age makes it unlikely that they survive a two month grind to go all the way but yeah, not a team I want to play in the first round or two.

What was lucky about that streak? I give them full credit for being consistent and playing well when so many here here predicting that they'd come back to earth at any moment.

Oh Im not counting on them fading, I just could see it happening. They match up against us quite well, so I defintely dont want to meet them in the playoffs.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Ya that .936 save percentage last year must have been all the D. Marincin in particular must have been strong.

I think Sparks and his terrible stretch a few years ago is tainting people's view of him.

I think we need to stop pretending that the ahl is the nhl and that the marlies defense is as bad as the leafs is when compared to their peers.

I think the the eye test watching sparks flop around is what is tainting peoples perception of him

But hey! We are all about to learn this the hard way

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think we need to stop pretending that the ahl is the nhl and that the marlies defense is as bad as the leafs is when compared to their peers.

I think the the eye test watching sparks flop around is what is tainting peoples perception of him

But hey! We are all about to learn this the hard way
But hey! You just want to seem him fail!
While other fans want to see him do well even it wasnt their choice.
Pretty embarassing you want to see a player fail when it hurts the team.
Upset that favorite player Mac isnt on the team.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

He just cant get over Mac, so is hoping Sparks fails.
Talk about insecurity.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
But hey! You just want to seem him fail!
While other fans want to see him do well even it wasnt their choice.
Pretty embarassing you want to see a player fail when it hurts the team.
Upset that favorite player Mac isnt on the team.

It was a bad call. It could be a very costly call. Those shrugging this off as "no biggie" is embarrassing. This one move could cost the leafs a chance to battle for first overall which means we are back in a coin flip series at the end of the year. For what is going to be a summer where we are going to lose some pieces as we have to make room for a costly Marner and Matthews. Want another first round exit? I don't.

This was a really bad call.

Do I want sparks to fail? no. Do I know he will fail? Let's just say all signs point to an obvious yes.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not sure if its been posted anywhere here yet, but check this out:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad