⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I thought I was a "glass half empty" guy but I am at least willing to wait until after week one before I make any bold predictions. If Sparks makes that much of a negative difference from McB then the answer is to beat Boston and TB head to head. My guess is that Andy plays those games.

Sparks looks out of position and sloppy. I think his numbers are more a product of the team im front of him.

And yes the answer then is to beat tampa and boston head to head but it could also mean another first round exit as those teams are no joke.

And because matthews and marner are getting new contracts, we are likley going to lose some pieces this summer.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sparks looks out of position and sloppy. I think his numbers are more a product of the team im front of him.

And yes the answer then is to beat tampa and boston head to head but it could also mean another first round exit as those teams are no joke.

And because matthews and marner are getting new contracts, we are likley going to lose some pieces this summer.
How to wet blanket the Leafs season a day before it starts because of the backup goalie 101. I think you need to put things in perspective a little bit and just enjoy the team lol but if grumbling about the backup situation for the next 6 months is more your cup of tea...I mean good for you I guess.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1st place in the division is the goal to avoid playing TB/BOS in the first two rounds. The question marks are our defence and Andersen's playoff performance. Goalies are just so unpredictable so I'm not going to read too much into the way Andersen played last spring but I'll be holding my breath until the playoffs start all the same. We have no depth at all on defence so we have to hope that out best players (such as they are) all play well. We can pretty much count on Rielly and Gardiner so the key guys IMHO are Dermott, Zaitsev and oh boy, Hainsey. If all those guys play well we can probably take 1st, if not then we may be in trouble. Who knows what Dubas is thinking but honestly, as much as people talk about not breaking up our amazing offence if I could trade Nylander for an equivalent player on defence I'd seriously consider doing it because as it is, our defence has too many question marks for me to feel comfortable.

The good news is that there are no perfect teams out there so I'm just gonna hope that Dermott and Zaitsev are really good (and I think they will be), Babcock stops relying on Hainsey so much and moves him down in the lineup if need be and our top 4 Dmen stay healthy. If that happens and we get regular season Andersen in the playoffs then ... this could be the year. :)

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m a bit surprised at how much tension there seems to be among some folks, this is the best Leafs team (on paper at least) in about the last 15 years or so, and they’re playing in a division with three of the worst teams in the league. Quite frankly in the grand scheme of things the regular season isn’t even going to matter since they’re essentially a lock for the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m a bit surprised at how much tension there seems to be among some folks, this is the best Leafs team (on paper at least) in about the last 15 years or so, and they’re playing in a division with three of the worst teams in the league. Quite frankly in the grand scheme of things the regular season isn’t even going to matter since they’re essentially a lock for the playoffs.

I get what you're saying but I also think the regular season is very important - if we finish 1st in the division we don't have to face Boston or TB in the first round of the playoffs.

We should be thinking big as in winning the cup. Beating 4 of the top 8 teams in the league in the playoffs is a lot harder than beating 3 of them and one weaker team.

Reactions: dsred

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I get what you're saying but I also think the regular season is very important - if we finish 1st in the division we don't have to face Boston or TB in the first round of the playoffs.
Even if the Leafs did finish 1st in the Atlantic there is still the slim chance, however unlikely scenario where Tampa or Boston could be one of the two Wild Card teams and we would still play either one in the first round.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Even if the Leafs did finish 1st in the Atlantic there is still the slim chance, however unlikely scenario where Tampa or Boston could be one of the two Wild Card teams and we would still play either one in the first round.
lol hope we face Boston in round 1 again, this time we win in game 7, gotta get over that hurdle sooner or later!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yes, technically that's true but like you say, slim chance. I'd even go so far as to say very slim.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Because the backup goalie really sways the teams success. :facepalm:

Did Sparks pick up your woman at a bar or something?

lol the backup will have to play at least 10-20 games if you don't want your no.1 burned out in the playoffs. The person you're quoting specifically said FIRST place is out of the question with Sparks,

10-20 games from a Sparks that shows no improvement at the NHL level definitely keeps us out of first place in the division.

Do the math. It's not hard.

member 262271

Sparks as backup and we are not getting first.

So its another first round match up with boston
Hockey is far too random for predictions in general I find, if this comes true though so be it, they need to slay that demon.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Hockey is far too random for predictions in general I find, if this comes true though so be it, they need to slay that demon.

If Andersen gets injured for an extended period of time that could mean wild card spot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

We should be thinking big as in winning the cup. Beating 4 of the top 8 teams in the league in the playoffs is a lot harder than beating 3 of them and one weaker team.

It matters, but I don’t think it’s a life or death situation. The Leafs are going to have a tough road in the playoffs regardless of where they finish.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I feel like Tampa is the only lock to be a true juggernaut in the Atlantic.

Boston is OLD. Yes they have nice young pieces, but Bergeron isnt getting any younger and he has had significant injury problems in his career. Chara has to fall off a cliff some day right? They went on an absurd run last year that vaulted them past us. I dont see their season as repeatable

Our issues on D are well documented.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Do you believe this team will slump at some point this season, lose 3 in a row, play sloppy go 1-4-2? If so, don’t freak out when it happens, it’s a lllloooonmmgg season and there will be valleys. Luke warm takes :)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Boston is OLD. Yes they have nice young pieces, but Bergeron isnt getting any younger and he has had significant injury problems in his career. Chara has to fall off a cliff some day right? They went on an absurd run last year that vaulted them past us. I dont see their season as repeatable

Agree on Boston, everyone is saying they’re right there, they are my surprise pick to regress.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I would also add last season Boston was very lucky when they went on that streak of getting at least 1 point in 18 straight games where they went 14-0-4. The odds of them doing that again seems slim and it's the only reason why they were in contention with the Lightning for 1st in the Atlantic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad