⭐2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread⭐

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
it's needed for the players. That's why unions exist
Seems like a long time.
Off at Christmas, off for all star break, then bye week. No wonder hockey goes to June.

Scrap the all star game, west gets 1 week bye and then switch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like a long time.
Off at Christmas, off for all star break, then bye week. No wonder hockey goes to June.

Scrap the all star game, west gets 1 week bye and then switch.
Yeah too much when coupled with the All Star break.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah too much when coupled with the All Star break.
We played 8 preseason games. Not necessary. We are off for 8 days and then play 3 games in 4 nights. We’ve been off 4 days in a row between games twice.
Bye is useless if you are going to jam 4/5 games into almost as many nights after.

Space it out better. 3 games/week and you don’t need a bye. Start the season middle of September. Week off at Christmas/New Years for the world juniors.

Reactions: great and ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What's irritating is that the Leafs get this extended break only to play 4 games in 6 days to start February, including a back to back Friday/Saturday.

Oh well - hope this gives some guys a chance to rest up for the stretch.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What's irritating is that the Leafs get this extended break only to play 4 games in 6 days to start February, including a back to back Friday/Saturday.

Oh well - hope this gives some guys a chance to rest up for the stretch.

To wit, the back half of the schedule could be difficult row to hoe. It looks like they’ll make the playoffs but where they finishis anyone’s guess. The good thing is everyone is in a similar situation.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
When the games start again on Friday, 3 of the first 4 games are games that we should not be losing at this time of the season (Wings, Ducks, Sens) however just before the break, we beat the Bolts and Caps but lose to the Avs, Panthers and Yotes so who knows what's gonna happen anymore. I sure hope they take this time off to look into this and solve it cause it is really starting to get old and very annoying.

I also hope that this time off gives Matthews some rest to heel his injury that he's playing with cause our horrible January record was cause we were losing games due to a dried offense. I don't want to rely too much on the win against the Caps cause it seems like everybody is beating them these days.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Fun Facts:

- Only 27 players have played more games for the Leafs than Gardiner and Kadri
- Marner is already in the top 75 in franchise point totals...
- Hainsey is 27th in +/-, Hyman is 28th...
- Kadri is 17th for PP Goals
- Matthews is already 5th all-time for Over-time goals...

Reactions: saffronleaf

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Is there a source for that?

Heyo! I think I found the site they were talking about. Funny enough since New Jersey is playing tonight against the Rangers, they've actually jumped us and we now have the easiest schedule going forward.

NHL - National Hockey League Team Strength of Schedule Rankings - Power Rankings Guru

random.jpg

Some interesting observations, Colorado is already looking pretty with Ottawa's pick with the Sens being last in the league. Them having the second hardest schedule remaining means there's a good chance that they're going to buried at the bottom of the NHL.

Florida was already struggling and have the third hardest schedule. If I recall last year they had an easy second half and were able to go on that insane run and trick people into thinking they were ready to take the next step. Doesn't look possible this year.

Good for us that the Habs have the 9th hardest schedule so hopefully they stumble a bit and stay behind us. Unfortunately Boston (20th) and Buffalo (26th) have kind of easy schedules. Tampa is right in the middle at 15th so there's no reason to believe they'll struggle.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well, the good news is that Buffalo has come out of the break stumbling. They went 1-2 this week, used up their 2 games in hand, and only gained 1 point on us despite the poor effort on our part last night.

New Jersey beating Montreal tonight would be swell, as well as us winning. Boston has Washington tomorrow

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They're not kidding about the strength of schedule.

Over the next week the Leafs face the Ducks, Sens, Habs, and Rangers.

The following week they have Vegas, Colorado, Arizona, and St Louis.

A huge opportunity this month to go on a run, get the team rolling again, and hopefully get the PP fixed up.

Reactions: Liminality

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They're not kidding about the strength of schedule.

Over the next week the Leafs face the Ducks, Sens, Habs, and Rangers.

The following week they have Vegas, Colorado, Arizona, and St Louis.

A huge opportunity this month to go on a run, get the team rolling again, and hopefully get the PP fixed up.
unfortunately, the Leafs seem to do better against top teams. I hope they don't sleepwalk through this part of the season

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'd kind of prefer the Leafs to have a stronger schedule for the remainder of the season. Our issue has been the weaker teams in the league not the better ones.

Be great if we could actually take advantage though. Bank some points and make up for the rough January we had.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
unfortunately, the Leafs seem to do better against top teams. I hope they don't sleepwalk through this part of the season

that's not actually true though.

by PTS%

vs 01-10: 18gms, 10-8-0, 91pt pace, -0.11gdiff
vs 11-21: 16gms, 9-7-0, 92pt pace, +0.38gdiff
vs 22-31: 16gms, 12-2-3, 128pt pace, +1.94gdiff

Remaining Schedule:

vs 01-10: 7
vs 11-21: 11
vs 22-31: 13

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
that's not actually true though.

by PTS%

vs 01-10: 18gms, 10-8-0, 91pt pace, -0.11gdiff
vs 11-21: 16gms, 9-7-0, 92pt pace, +0.38gdiff
vs 22-31: 16gms, 12-2-3, 128pt pace, +1.94gdiff

Remaining Schedule:

vs 01-10: 7
vs 11-21: 11
vs 22-31: 13
how does that compare to the other top teams? extremely similar records for top 10 teams compared to middling teams seems unusual

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad