OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Tom Johnston or Michael McDonald Era? McDonald era takes a lot of heat. It had some really cheezy stuff, but it wasn't all terrible.

I love Tiran Porter's bass playing.

I discovered them thanks to MM because i'm a big Yacht Rock guy. But lately i've been getting into the earlier rock and roll stuff with Johnston.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Aretha had a song called Dr Feelgood... in 1967. The Stones had a song called Turd on the run. My fav RS non-single is Ventilator Blues. My fav RS single is Can't ya hear me knockin.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hard to keep a straight face while calling this album a masterpiece, but as far as 1990s punk goes, this is as good as it gets. 100% classic. :laugh:

The Decline is NOFX's masterpiece.

The trio of Ribbed, WT (I'm not going to write out the full title because it could be taken the wrong way), and Punk In Drublic are up there with any band's classic material ever.

They got the most out of Steve Kidwiller for Ribbed and then getting Hefe cemented the classic lineup.

Heaving Petting Zoo isn't that good an album. They've had a lot of hits and misses since then but enough for at least two god albums.

I got to hang with them in 1996 Warped Tour. Eric Melvin is a really chill guy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Been laid up and laying around for a while and this is some of what I've been listening to lately:

The Ruts were one of the first UK punk bands in the 70's and this reggae-ish torch song lyrics by Malcolm Owen is about his heroin addiction. That said I've always thought this was a beautiful song though.

The Specials--Ghost Town.

I just started listening to this guy Tricky recently but really love this.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

The trio of Ribbed, WT (I'm not going to write out the full title because it could be taken the wrong way), and Punk In Drublic are up there with any band's classic material ever.

They got the most out of Steve Kidwiller for Ribbed and then getting Hefe cemented the classic lineup.

Heaving Petting Zoo isn't that good an album. They've had a lot of hits and misses since then but enough for at least two god albums.

Heavy Petting Zoo has one of my favorite NOFX songs “Freedom Like a Shopping Cart”.

I’ve always really liked Pump Up the Valuum, and So Long and Thanks For All the Shoes was a favorite of mine growing up.

Reactions: deathb4disco

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Also it's hilarious that El Hefe the guitarist graduated from the Berklee College of Music, and this is what he did with it. :laugh:

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Heavy Petting Zoo has one of my favorite NOFX songs “Freedom Like a Shopping Cart”.

I’ve always really liked Pump Up the Valuum, and So Long and Thanks For All the Shoes was a favorite of mine growing up.

It's My Job to Keep Punk Rock Elite continues to be one of my favorite punk songs ever

Also the Champs Elysees cover with the awful French absolutely rules

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Speaking of the Pixies...what a frustrating band, lol. Their songs are either instant classics or just complete nonsense. The first half of Surfer Rosa is as good as any album, and then it just descends into what sounds like outtakes. Doolittle is amazing but there are these songs sprinkled in that just make me want to cover my ears.

Weird, weird band.

Seriously though, the first side of Doolittle is just...

A1Debaser2:52
A2Tame1:55
A3Wave Of Mutilation2:04
A4I Bleed2:34
A5Here Comes Your Man3:21
A6Dead2:21
A7Monkey Gone To Heaven2:57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
:amazed:

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Hey Everyone!!

I dropped my new EP over the weekend!! Super excited about it and would love to get your feedback!! It's currently on most major streaming platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, etc.!! Also, follow my IG @yaheardskelly for more tunes and new updates!!

Vibe & enjoy!!

:pickle::banana:

24hrs by Joey Skelly

Reactions: eco's bones

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Speaking of the Pixies...what a frustrating band, lol. Their songs are either instant classics or just complete nonsense. The first half of Surfer Rosa is as good as any album, and then it just descends into what sounds like outtakes. Doolittle is amazing but there are these songs sprinkled in that just make me want to cover my ears.

Weird, weird band.

Seriously though, the first side of Doolittle is just...

A1Debaser2:52
A2Tame1:55
A3Wave Of Mutilation2:04
A4I Bleed2:34
A5Here Comes Your Man3:21
A6Dead2:21
A7Monkey Gone To Heaven2:57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
:amazed:

Incredibly talented band that had some very strong personalities. Much more good than bad. They made all those great songs with limited musical knowledge.

It was slightly before my time and I know more about it from the after effects (around the 93-95 era with The Breeders Frank Black solo, etc.) but the whole alternative thing really started with them and Jane's Addiction in 1989-1991. It led the way to Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins being the big bands for most of that decade.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hey Everyone!!

I dropped my new EP over the weekend!! Super excited about it and would love to get your feedback!! It's currently on most major streaming platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, etc.!! Also, follow my IG @yaheardskelly for more tunes and new updates!!

Vibe & enjoy!!

:pickle::banana:

24hrs by Joey Skelly

I'll check it out later Joey but keep in mind that I intuitively almost always end up at atonal, gnarly and loud. I have all kinds of original late 70's and early 80's punk and post punk music. Also a bit of a guitar nut. I can't help it if I have goofball musical tastes. It is what it is.

Reactions: Joey Bones

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Been laid up and laying around for a while and this is some of what I've been listening to lately:

The Ruts were one of the first UK punk bands in the 70's and this reggae-ish torch song lyrics by Malcolm Owen is about his heroin addiction. That said I've always thought this was a beautiful song though.

The Specials--Ghost Town.

I just started listening to this guy Tricky recently but really love this.

The Crack by The Ruts is one of the greatest punk albums ever.

Tricky got really big in the late 90s as did all that trip hop like Massive Attack. I remember he played one of the last Lollapalooza's in its original run. Christiansands was everywhere on MTV back then. He just released a new album a few months ago largely dealing with the death of his son.

My favorite Tricky track is an unusual one. He based it off the 70s Wonder Woman theme. Flea and John Frusciante from RHCP play here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8gM0bd-84U&ab_channel=Tricky-Topic

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Crack by The Ruts is one of the greatest punk albums ever.

Tricky got really big in the late 90s as did all that trip hop like Massive Attack. I remember he played one of the last Lollapalooza's in its original run. Christiansands was everywhere on MTV back then. He just released a new album a few months ago largely dealing with the death of his son.

My favorite Tricky track is an unusual one. He based it off the 70s Wonder Woman theme. Flea and John Frusciante from RHCP play here.

I really loved the Clash but to me the Ruts were the better band. Segs (bass) and David Ruffy (drums) reformed the band a few years ago---recruiting another guitar player and they're pretty good and at gigs (in England) will often do some of the old material---though they've also been putting out new material.

Tricky is interesting to me--sometimes he's out front on his own material but often someone else. There's something subversive about that. It's also like he's looking to create certain effects and how that happens or who exactly accomplishes that is secondary to that.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The world’s most underrated band is Bayside. They are fantastic and no one knows about them.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Finally got to Eminem's Side B. I don't know what it is I feel like love only every other album of his. The first side was kind of boring. But man he's back, love this one!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad