OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
@Tawnos @MahomesIsGod I see both sides to the bass argument. Guys like Billy Sheehan and Stu Hamm are awesome, but those acrobatics might not be for everyone.

Some of my favorite players aren't virtuosos but just had or have a tremendous sound like what Eric Avery did in Jane's Addiction, Simon Gallup from The Cure, David J from Bauhaus and Love And Rockets, any of The Allman Brothers bassists and their various projects (Berry Oakley/Lamar Williams/Allen Woody/Oteil Burbridge although he is a virtuoso).

Mick Karn was a fretless bass player most famous for his work in the band Japan. He knew no theory and played solely on intuition and feel but he had a tremendous career. It's a shame he wasn't bigger in North America.

Barry Adamson from Magazine, another very solid player.

As for Flea who obviously I love, his most cerebral playing is on the first Mars Volta record Deloused In The Comatorium. I've played it for people who are so used to his awesome RHCP playing but it sounds nothing like that, and I've gotten the same reaction as playing Dance On A Volcano by Genesis and friends in shock after only knowing Phil Collins from In The Air Tonight and SuSudio.
I’ve listened to Deloused but never knew Flea was in it lol

makes me think of like Johnny Marr with modest mouse. Kinda random

Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I’ve listened to Deloused but never knew Flea was in it lol

makes me think of like Johnny Marr with modest mouse. Kinda random

They had a few different bass players but for that album they had a vacancy and they were buddies with RHCP. It was recorded in the revamped BSSM Mansion after Rubin repaired it from a fire that broke out while Love and Rockets were recording Sweet F.A. (the album cover is actually a burned guitar). Juan Alderette from Racer X became the permanent bassist. He's doing much better now recovering from a stroke.

Yeah, Johnny Marr in Modest Mouse to me is almost like Nels Cline in Wilco and Brian Baker in Bad Religion, but the later two are in it for the long-haul.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of reggae bass is great and it tends to be more out front. The old Motown acts. There's some real shit going on there--Sly and the family stone. The bass player who use to jam with me pre-Covid Entwistle was probably his favorite. He also liked Les Claypool a lot. Peter Hook from Joy Division--Mike Starr from Alice in Chains, Dave Allen-Gang of Four, Steven Hanley of the Fall. I like the Rancid, Fugazi, Rage and Sublime bass players too.

Reactions: Rongomania

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
f***ing Neil Peart and Eddie Van Halen in the same year. Two of the most inflential hard rock musicians of all time. 2020...what a f***ing year.

Elvis came and went in 20 years, John Lennon even less, and many more left us so long ago like Jerry and Kurt and ole blue eyes. It's amazing how long we actually had some like Eddie Van Halen, 40 years of great playing, yet t feels like it's all over too soon.

Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Elvis came and went in 20 years, John Lennon even less, and many more left us so long ago like Jerry and Kurt and ole blue eyes. It's amazing how long we actually had some like Eddie Van Halen, 40 years of great playing, yet t feels like it's all over too soon.

It is funny...having basically grown up in the late 70's/early 80's, what I considered the "glory days" of the 60's seemed so far away in time. The Stones were OLD when Tattoo You came out...29 YEARS AGO!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
RIP Eddie Van Halen. One of my biggest influences. I know he had been sick for awhile in and out of remission.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Been going on a big Hall and Oates kick. Never realized how much thought went into some of their songs until recently (thank Spotify Beyond the Lyrics for that).

Go to Youtube and search for 'Live from Daryl's House'. Some really awesome stuff in that series.

I’m old enough to remember Eddie going synth heavy on 1984. People were as outraged as when Dylan plugged into an amp.

...and still that album produced Panama and Hot For Teacher.

Ugh at more and more artists of my youth (and before my youth but I listened to) shuffling off this mortal coil. RIP EVH...a lot more people than Jamie are crying.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Go to Youtube and search for 'Live from Daryl's House'. Some really awesome stuff in that series.

...and still that album produced Panama and Hot For Teacher.

Ugh at more and more artists of my youth (and before my youth but I listened to) shuffling off this mortal coil. RIP EVH...a lot more people than Jamie are crying.
I was in an all boys catholic high school when Hot For Teacher was out. There was only one teacher there who was a woman and under 60 years old. That song was played a lot about her and around her. VH was a great band for puberty.

I got my pencil! :naughty:

Reactions: JCProdigy

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Just bought my first guitar to go along with my Basses

ctrja62wx4risnwgxryp.jpg

Can’t wait til it gets here!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad