OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Deric

Oct 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
I've been rocking the new Amon Amarth album and I'm going to see them a week from Monday.

[collapse=learn][/collapse]

Last edited by a moderator:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I like this thread. Lotta agreement with what been posted.

Just spent way too much money for Pearl Jam tickets on 5/2. Seeing em 3x this tour.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Please do. :)

I really dig the Sex Pistols. They're the kind of aggressive snarl that I love in some genre's of music.

Well the Pistols hit Britain like a bomb in 1976. Basically they were just kids. I'm pretty much the same age group. Their original bass player Glen Matlock could really play and Jones and Cook were quick learners. Sid Vicious didn't have a clue. John Lydon had issues with Matlock--he wanted a pal on board--that was a mistake. Their originality really is in their aggression and their lyrics. When they started to get notoriety their manager pushed a lot of buttons--their music then took a backseat to all the publicity ****. To me that's a key reason why they blew up so fast. They were just kids though. Between 1963 and the Beatles and 1976 and the Pistols is 13 years---all that music in between--Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground, Cream, Hendrix, the Doors, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie etc. etc.---13 years--a lot of it was fantastic but it was getting stale. Between 1976 and now--another 40 years. Technically there have been huge improvements--the one thing I've always loved about punk rock it's always been plug in and go for it.

See this is why I like these discussions because we all argue so much about hockey but would probably be best friends in real life. :laugh:

I have the live Stiff Little Fingers albums Hanx! on vinyl, but no record player anymore. Flawless live album. :cheers:

SLF's Inflammable Material their first album is just fantastic. It is one of the rawest pieces of work I've ever heard. The second guitarist Henry Cluney was really really good but Jake Burns is one of the best guitar players who ever lived. Rhythm--leads--stylistic transitions--he just segues naturally within his songs from one to the other and he's doing the singing as well. Inflammable Material was much about the Northern Irish troubles. It was political and very angry. I've been looking on youtube at some of their live stuff when they were younger and it is really wonderful ****.

I was thinking after my first post how much I liked some other bands like The Fall (Mark E. Smith), Angry Samoans, Savage Republic, The Specials and the Jam. It was a good time. I was in the Coast Guard in the early 80's on Governor's Island and I used to go a lot to this record store Bleecker Bob's on the corner of W. 3rd and McDougal across from Washington Square Park. I'd started buying punk rock a while before that but this store had it all.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Figured I'd give us something to talk about besides the Florida Panthers until the playoffs start. :laugh:

[collapse=qep][/collapse]

Couldn't think of a better way to start off this thread! Huge MBV and Kevin Shields fan. I was a professional bass player for a few years before grad school, but recently started playing guitar and have been building a huge pedal collection to do post-rock stuff with some friends.

Recently got into Tame Impala, and going to see them in June. Also going to see Phish at Lockn' and just picked up tickets to see Explosions In The Sky in the Fall. Saw Liz Phair (who was awesome) and the Smashing Pumpkins at the Beacon. SP were totally playing Dad rock versions and it was way lame!

Last edited by a moderator:

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Let it Happen has been listened to by me way too much. Saw them in Radio City a few months ago. They were awesome. I've also been listening to more Of Montreal than I think is healthy.

Anyone going to Gov Ball? Got my tickets for the first two days.

My gf is going to kill me for how much I listen to Tame Impala. Just finished Innerspeaker for the dillionth time this afternoon. :laugh:

The Black Angels have been a favorite of mine for years. If you're into neo-psychadelia, The Brian Jonestown Massacre are a prominent figure of the genre. They're still making good albums but the best stuff is between 1996-2003.

I've mostly been listening to Tame Impala, Chvrches and Grimes for the last several months.

The Mrs. is SO over "Currents" so it's been mostly the first two albums and the "Live" record. "Currents" is seriously the best synthpop record ever recorded. It blows Depeche Mode "Violator" out of the water, and that is one of my all-time too 10 record. I was even more taken with the band after I realized they were a "guitar band" before in his first two records.

Also, anyone see the HUM reunion last year? They are recording new music now!!!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Couldn't think of a better way to start off this thread! Huge MBV and Kevin Shields fan. I was a professional bass player for a few years before grad school, but recently started playing guitar and have been building a huge pedal collection to do post-rock stuff with some friends.

Recently got into Tame Impala, and going to see them in June. Also going to see Phish at Lockn' and just picked up tickets to see Explosions In The Sky in the Fall. Saw Liz Phair (who was awesome) and the Smashing Pumpkins at the Beacon. SP were totally playing Dad rock versions and it was way lame!
I wear out the proverbial needle on Loveless every spring. :laugh:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I guess it's time I hang around here more often. So here's my contribution:

[Collapse=Courtney Barnett-Dead Fox][/Collapse]

It's one of the favorite songs shared by my girlfriend and me.

Ahhh love Courtney Barnett! Fantastic debut album. 2015 was a great year from the Aussies.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Raspewtin showed me this. It's a rap song but they're screaming it. I like it.

[collapse=fluffernutter][/collapse]

Last edited:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
HUGE metal fan, so I'll be posting these types of songs a lot. Been learning how to sing (taking lessons) and this is one of the songs I've been practicing.
Whoa, you are going straight for Geoff Tate ? hehe, there are easier vocalists to mimic :)

That said, best of luck :D (and that album is amazing).

As for me, also very much into metal, have been since my early teens.

Some examples of what i listen to (more on the brutal side) :

[Collapse=edit]Draconian - Stellar Tombs

Theatre of Tragedy - Bring Forth Ye Shadow

Enslaved - The Watcher

Wintersun - Beyond The Dark Sun

Satyricon - Phoenix

[/collapse]

Last edited:

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
just learned this week that Santana has regathered most of the classic original early-'70's band, ie Neal Shon and Greg Rolie who left to form Journey, amazing drummer Michael Shrieve (go rewatch Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock) and conga man Michael Carabello (too bad perc-man Jose Chepito Areas isn't included; David Brown the bass player passed long time ago)

They will actually play the opening set at MSG wednesday, double-billed with Journey

new album, Santana IV (40+ years after Santana III) releases on the weekend

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Raspewtin showed me this. It's a rap song but they're screaming it. I like it.

[collapse=fluffernutter][/collapse]

The original song is a classic.. but this.. what is this :laugh:

I'll post some more bands today I've been on a shoegaze bender since Christmas lol

Please do. There can never be enough shoegaze.

It would have been awesome if these guys didn't die in a car crash just as they were getting started:

[collapse=video] [/collapse]

Speaking of great music.. I dig your avatar :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Please do. There can never be enough shoegaze.
Agreed!

https://mlkshk-ada.kxcdn.com/r/13MW2.jpg

13MW2.jpg

*Bob Richards*

This shuffled on my playlist when I was in my car today and had to share. Layne had a wild voice. The anniversary of his death was only a few days ago too. Same as Cobain's. He sounds really sick by this point but it gives his voice this aura in his performance of this and especially songs like Nutshell.

[Collapse=Alice in Chains-Would?][/Collapse]

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I love this song. It's very calm, builds up nice and still has that great guitar sound.

[Collapse= Joe Walsh - Turn to Stone][/Collapse]

Also, a bit more mysterious, is this one.

[Collapse=Spinal Tap - Stonehenge][/Collapse]

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Right on Bob. Love that Unplugged album. I always throw it in the car around Halloween for some reason.

Also I really liked their new single a few years ago, Voices.

Don Jaroodi*

Saw David Gilmour at Radio City Music Hall last night. Absolutely mind-blowing experience. Going tomorrow to MSG, also.

I wasn't expecting it to be that ridiculous, but it killed any Roger Waters show.

If you're a Pink Floyd fan this is something you just can't miss.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Anyone going to see Demolition Hammer in June?

If you're into Metal and never heard, I guarantee approval!!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Saw David Gilmour at Radio City Music Hall last night. Absolutely mind-blowing experience. Going tomorrow to MSG, also.

I wasn't expecting it to be that ridiculous, but it killed any Roger Waters show.

If you're a Pink Floyd fan this is something you just can't miss.

I bought tickets but my flight was cancelled due to the Brussels bombings. Now I am planning a trip for next month. Too bad I am missing that show

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->