OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Need recommendations of stuff to listen to

genres I like: shoegaze, indie pop/rock, folk, singer-songwriter, rap/hip-hop, britpop, new wave, post-punk, punk, alt rock

shoegaze: Ringo Deathstarr (song picks: Two girls, kaleidoscope, Nap time)
indie pop: Belle & Sebastian (song: the boy with the arab strap - catchiest song ever)
(If you already know of B & S: Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm ready to be heartbroken)
Indie rock: The Soundtrack of our Lives (song: News of the World)
Singer-songwriter: Hayden (song: Dynamite Walls)
Punk (kind of...): Japanese band called Kana-Boon (song: 1, 2 step to you; A,oh!!)... it's not really punk though. Any kind of music like that here in Japan is pure mimicry of Western stuff and so not worth the time.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Oh, and Indie pop: Stars (Elevator Love Letter)
Indie pop/rock: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (Until the sun explodes, Belong, Young Adult Friction, Strange)

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
This could be a great year in music for me with new releases from LCD Soundsystem, Grizzly Bear, Brand New, M83, Crystal Castles, MIA, Sky Ferreira, Modest Mouse, Band of Horses, Local Natives, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Major Lazer, So So Glos, Arca, Chromatics, Peter Bjorn and John and hopefullllllllllllly Bon Iver.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Hah, love this band.

Auf, does your name come from the German word meaning "to abolish" or the Brian Jonestown Massacre album of the same name?

Great band by the way. Also can't recommend King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard more. Their new album is great.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
This could be a great year in music for me with new releases from LCD Soundsystem, Grizzly Bear, Brand New, M83, Crystal Castles, MIA, Sky Ferreira, Modest Mouse, Band of Horses, Local Natives, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Major Lazer, So So Glos, Arca, Chromatics, Peter Bjorn and John and hopefullllllllllllly Bon Iver.

New Radiohead album too. New song released yesterday.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
New Radiohead album too. New dog released yesterday.

Good song with a Witcher Man-esque music video. Interested to hear the whole album. I'm not as into Radiohead as my girlfriend is, but I'm sure I'll hear the entire thing at least twice :laugh:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
As far as best band name goes, I don't think you can beat "Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin." Their music's pretty good too.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Good song with a Witcher Man-esque music video. Interested to hear the whole album. I'm not as into Radiohead as my girlfriend is, but I'm sure I'll hear the entire thing at least twice :laugh:

Has anyone ever told you your girlfriend is cooler than you? :laugh: The new Radiohead song and video are great, though. Really excited for that and LCD Soundsystem this year.

The two albums I'm listening to the most at the moment are the new albums from White Lung and Car Seat Headrest. The past few years most of my favorite releases were hip-hop or r&b, but 2016 is shaping up to be an amazing year for alternative music.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Honestly, I never really got into Radiohead either. At least not relative to their renown. Then again I'm also not cool so :laugh:

Has anyone ever told you your girlfriend is cooler than you? The new Radiohead song and video are great, though. Really excited for that and LCD Soundsystem this year.

The two albums I'm listening to the most at the moment are the new albums from White Lung and Car Seat Headrest. The past few years most of my favorite releases were hip-hop or r&b, but 2016 is shaping up to be an amazing year for alternative music.
White Lung is good. I think they're from Vancouver. I'll have to check out the new one!

Listening to PJ Harvey today.

Last edited:

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Honestly, I never really got into Radiohead either. At least not relative to their renown. Then again I'm also not cool so :laugh:

Jeez, buncha nerds in this thread :sarcasm:

To be honest though, I haven't listened to much Radiohead in the past 10 years or so. But they were a big part of my introduction to real music, and their new song sounds like their old stuff, which is good because this:

Ok Computer and Kid A are amazing albums.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Need recommendations of stuff to listen to

genres I like: shoegaze, indie pop/rock, folk, singer-songwriter, rap/hip-hop, britpop, new wave, post-punk, punk, alt rock
Post-punk:
Wire - 154
Suicide - s/t
Magazine - Real Life
Killing Joke - s/t

Shoe-gaze/Brit-pop:
Lush - Gala
Medicine - The Buried Life
The Verve - A Storm In Heaven

If post-punk/punk/new wave is what you're looking for, Wire is the place to go. You know you have some good songs when My Bloody Valentine covers you:

[collapse=33333][/collapse]

Reactions: eco's bones

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Studies show metalheads are highly cultured :nod:

Apparently there's lot of overlap between people who listen to metal and people who listen to classical music. That's like, as cultured as you can get in music.

I do enjoy both, but Jungle Rot is pretty brutal haha.

My favorite type of music is metal, subgenre is thrash along the lines of Exodus, Testament and Sodom

*Bob Richards*

If we are talking Metal I have to shamelessly plug Pantera any chance I get. I love Phil's vocals and Dimebag was GOAT.

Mouth For War still gets me ****ing hyped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->