OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
... Also really liked the Specials. The Clash also put out an E.P. that was very dub based that was really good as well.

The Cramps were good too. I was watching this clip of them live today playing at some kind of mental patient facility in California way back when---it might have been 1982. ...
Those are some of my all time favorites. Great Cramps story. I don't know why they weren't bigger.

I think punk/new wave saved rock. After "Born to Run" I can't think of any great rock albums that were not punk/new wave or influenced by it.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People focused on how 'angry' lyrically and aggressive sonically that music was and it could be but it wasn't all angry---there was a lot of humor and depending it often was very fun motivated. And you could say anything about anything--any kind of subject matter. That was one of the problems with rock music before that---it was locked into certain themes and too dependent on craft at the expense of practically anything else. Often I've heard remarked 'the production is horrible' and my first response is always 'well, f*** the production, I don't care'--the first Clash album though by far is their best IMO and that's the case with a lot of bands back from then--usually they are the songs that took the most time and work to get to vinyl and they have most rawness and energy.....and afterwards less time and energy....more distraction.

Anyway I always looked at rap--at least in the beginning as punk music too. It was all DIY.

The Cramps had a really stripped down rockabilly sound. Lux Interior with his hiccupping tremolo voice and they were crazed but that fit the early rockabilly vibe too.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s nothing about music, but about life: I wish her all the best and I really like her, but due to dating I`m are aware she is meeting someone else since she told me. I`m fully aware I can lose her based on that fact, but when I look at her you feel something warm and good inside. Although I still wish her all the best on the date and I hope she is successful to find a love.

Back to music topic:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
People focused on how 'angry' lyrically and aggressive sonically that music was and it could be but it wasn't all angry---there was a lot of humor and depending it often was very fun motivated. And you could say anything about anything--any kind of subject matter. That was one of the problems with rock music before that---it was locked into certain themes and too dependent on craft at the expense of practically anything else. Often I've heard remarked 'the production is horrible' and my first response is always 'well, **** the production, I don't care'--the first Clash album though by far is their best IMO and that's the case with a lot of bands back from then--usually they are the songs that took the most time and work to get to vinyl and they have most rawness and energy.....and afterwards less time and energy....more distraction.

Anyway I always looked at rap--at least in the beginning as punk music too. It was all DIY.

The Cramps had a really stripped down rockabilly sound. Lux Interior with his hiccupping tremolo voice and they were crazed but that fit the early rockabilly vibe too.
Agreed with all that. There should be more to rock than cars and girls. For example Patti Smith's great ownership of her personal sins line: "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine".

I've seen The Cramps live and Poison Ivy is a great guitarist and Nick Knox's understated drumming is underrated.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agreed with all that. There should be more to rock than cars and girls. For example Patti Smith's great ownership of her personal sins line: "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine".

I've seen The Cramps live and Poison Ivy is a great guitarist and Nick Knox's understated drumming is underrated.

I do have some early Cramps vinyl. Mind you there are things that have gone missing over the years--just disappeared and I have no idea of where or how but the two LP's I still have are Songs the Lord taught us and Off the Bone which has a 3D album cover and came with 3D glasses. I'm missing the glasses. I might have just tossed them.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
People focused on how 'angry' lyrically and aggressive sonically that music was and it could be but it wasn't all angry---there was a lot of humor and depending it often was very fun motivated. And you could say anything about anything--any kind of subject matter. That was one of the problems with rock music before that---it was locked into certain themes and too dependent on craft at the expense of practically anything else. Often I've heard remarked 'the production is horrible' and my first response is always 'well, **** the production, I don't care'--the first Clash album though by far is their best IMO and that's the case with a lot of bands back from then--usually they are the songs that took the most time and work to get to vinyl and they have most rawness and energy.....and afterwards less time and energy....more distraction.

IMO, Punk had to happen. The industry needed the kick in the ass. And I agree about the energy. But, from own personal taste, I find that what came in after punk to much more interesting. A lot of punk was posture. It was the bands that came after, which were inspired by punk, but weren’t so regimented in their approach, and could absorb everything from country, pop, R&B, even bubblegum and then present something fresh. I love the likes of the Replacements, Lords of the New Church, the Long Ryders and the Dream Syndicate, whom all had punk influences, but could just as easily incorporate 60’s and 70’s pop into their approach.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMO, Punk had to happen. The industry needed the kick in the ass. And I agree about the energy. But, from own personal taste, I find that what came in after punk to much more interesting. A lot of punk was posture. It was the bands that came after, which were inspired by punk, but weren’t so regimented in their approach, and could absorb everything from country, pop, R&B, even bubblegum and then present something fresh. I love the likes of the Replacements, Lords of the New Church, the Long Ryders and the Dream Syndicate, whom all had punk influences, but could just as easily incorporate 60’s and 70’s pop into their approach.

That's true--The Fall were not a punk band. I loved bands like Joy Division and Gang of Four. The Ruts are a band somewhat like the Clash but came out of the pub rock scene. To me they were kind of a gateway band into that kind of music because they were really good and could almost be confused with a hard rock band. Very riffy and they didn't do a lot of reggae-ish songs but what they did do was extraordinarily good (Jah War, Love in vain)---well they hung out with reggae musicians--particularly Misty in Roots. I had this one friend who hated anything punk but when he heard the Ruts it was love at first hearing. It was 'who are these guys'? The Bad Brains start off as a jazz band and contrasted their hardcore sound with a lot of their own reggae tunes--that's an interesting mix. I really think early X is very good too--Billy Zoom is very much a rockabilly style guitar player--he's in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame in fact. I mentioned Savage Republic--they are also kind of post punk. Their original player was in Wasted Youth but they kind of came up with a sound that's almost industrial meets mediterranean and North African rhythms. I have three or four Dream Syndicate albums and 4 or 5 Replacements--Hootenanny's my favorite.

Should mention Agent Orange too. They are a punk band but they're also pretty much the band that introduced the surf sound into the music and they were really good.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
I do have some early Cramps vinyl. Mind you there are things that have gone missing over the years--just disappeared and I have no idea of where or how but the two LP's I still have are Songs the Lord taught us and Off the Bone which has a 3D album cover and came with 3D glasses. I'm missing the glasses. I might have just tossed them.
Songs the Lord taught us may be their best album. I like Husker Du and The Replacements also.

I saw The Meat Puppets once at a small club. Although their albums are slow, they played very fast and it was the best club show I've ever seen. We were broke college students, but a stranger let us sit at his table and bought pitchers for us.

XTC was influenced by the Beatles imo.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That's true--The Fall were not a punk band. I loved bands like Joy Division and Gang of Four. The Ruts are a band somewhat like the Clash but came out of the pub rock scene. To me they were kind of a gateway band into that kind of music because they were really good and could almost be confused with a hard rock band. Very riffy and they didn't do a lot of reggae-ish songs but what they did do was extraordinarily good (Jah War, Love in vain)---well they hung out with reggae musicians--particularly Misty in Roots. I had this one friend who hated anything punk but when he heard the Ruts it was love at first hearing. It was 'who are these guys'? The Bad Brains start off as a jazz band and contrasted their hardcore sound with a lot of their own reggae tunes--that's an interesting mix. I really think early X is very good too--Billy Zoom is very much a rockabilly style guitar player--he's in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame in fact. I mentioned Savage Republic--they are also kind of post punk. Their original player was in Wasted Youth but they kind of came up with a sound that's almost industrial meets mediterranean and North African rhythms. I have three or four Dream Syndicate albums and 4 or 5 Replacements--Hootenanny's my favorite.

Should mention Agent Orange too. They are a punk band but they're also pretty much the band that introduced the surf sound into the music and they were really good.

Add Dead Kennedys and X. I lived in L.A. back then.

I went to high school with the Ramones. Even odder perhaps, with Gary Bettman, who was in my advanced math class.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Add Dead Kennedys and X. I lived in L.A. back then. I went to high school with the Ramones. Even odder perhaps, with Gary Bettman, who was in my advanced math class.
When I think of punk, I think of bands such as The Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. I love X. Many bands such as The Kinks and VU lead to the formation of punk, but for me The Ramones (none of them are related) were the first true punk band. I wanna be sedated.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Add Dead Kennedys and X. I lived in L.A. back then.

I went to high school with the Ramones. Even odder perhaps, with Gary Bettman, who was in my advanced math class.

On the Dead Kennedy's I got their first LP in Ithaca NY right after it came out. It was before the lounge band on the back cover found out their image had been purloined for that said purpose. They won their lawsuit but the DK's then cropped the heads off for any subsequent releases but mine's the original released LP. Very good band. Another really good shimmering kind of guitar sound.

What was Bettman like?

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Some people say that some punk rock bands recorded short songs. That may be true, but short (3 minutes and under) songs are common in non-punk rock. Here's a few:

Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young - one of the best classic rock songs ever
We Will Rock You - Queen
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
Waterloo - ABBA
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Yesterday - The Beatles
Teenagers - My Chemical Romance
Everyday - Bon Jovi
So What - Metallica
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
You Really Got Me - The Kinks
Fire Your Guns - AC/DC
Breaking Glass - David Bowie

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
My favorite thing about listening to punk and hardcore music is that I can listen to like 15 different songs on only a 20 minute drive.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Some people say that some punk rock bands recorded short songs. That may be true, but short (3 minutes and under) songs are common in non-punk rock. Here's a few:

Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young - one of the best classic rock songs ever
We Will Rock You - Queen
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
Waterloo - ABBA
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Yesterday - The Beatles
Teenagers - My Chemical Romance
Everyday - Bon Jovi
So What - Metallica
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
You Really Got Me - The Kinks
Fire Your Guns - AC/DC
Breaking Glass - David Bowie

99% of pop/rock before 1967 was under three minutes.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
50% of the best pop music was created by then, too.
Agreed. Even my favorite Beatles albums came out then. Since I prefer the pre-Sargent Peppers stuff and I don't agree with Rolling Stone on everything including the Fab Four and Dylan being the 2 best artists ever, I'm obviously not cool. Oh well.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Agreed. Even my favorite Beatles albums came out then. Since I prefer the pre-Sargent Peppers stuff and I don't agree with Rolling Stone on everything including the Fab Four and Dylan being the 2 best artists ever, I'm obviously not cool. Oh well.

Revolver, the greatest album of all time.

As for Rolling Stone, all that needs to be said is that Jann Wenner is a huge douchebag.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Revolver, the greatest album of all time.

As for Rolling Stone, all that needs to be said is that Jann Wenner is a huge *****ebag.
Agreed with both. Wenner is so narrow minded. Most hard rock/metal bands have had very negative original reviews from RS, from Led Zeppelin to Black Sabbath to AC/DC to Van Halen to Nirvana to Metallica. Thriller is top 20 all time and better than Chuck Berry? It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Agreed with both. Wenner is so narrow minded. Most hard rock/metal bands have had very negative original reviews from RS, from Led Zeppelin to Black Sabbath to AC/DC to Van Halen to Nirvana to Metallica. It's ridiculous.

I’ve been listening to radio interviews on YouTube from WFDU out of Teaneck. The show is called the Vintage Rock & Pop Show hosted by Ghosty. There are quite a few shows about the Beatles. One of the most interviews is with an author of the book The Beatles and the Historians. It looks at how authors constructed the Beatle mythology. No one individual was more destructive than Wenner. Wenner conducted the interview with Lennon where Lennon savaged everyone. Wenner maintained that narrative even though Lennon later admits to lying in the interview. Wenner is basically a lowlife scumbag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->