OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
So of course my first post in seemingly forever has zip to do with hockey.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit all day long. Can hardly find time to listen to anyone else the last couple years.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Define "crafted well". Name some bands.

I’ve never been a fan of the pure death metal like Morbid Angel and Obituary. I was always a fan of thrash like Megadeth and Testament. But when the melodic death metal starting coming around in the mid-late 90s, I got really into that. In Flames before they turned into garbage. Soilwork, who still puts out some good material. At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, The Crown, The Haunted etc.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I’ve never been a fan of the pure death metal like Morbid Angel and Obituary. I was always a fan of thrash like Megadeth and Testament. But when the melodic death metal starting coming around in the mid-late 90s, I got really into that. In Flames before they turned into garbage. Soilwork, who still puts out some good material. At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, The Crown, The Haunted etc.
Pretty much beat me to it

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I have a few friends who are really into metal, but can't keep up with the sub-categories.

What is Sleep considered? Their new album is great. I can roll with Skeleton Witch too on occasion.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Ok.... Too much soft stuff here. Are there any death metal fans on here? :)

I had a DM fanzine and record label in the 80s. Yeah, I'm old. I was tape trading in the early 80s and one of the first in the scene. I'm friends with pretty much every old school band since it's a pretty small world. I still go to a lot of shows these days and still occasionally write for magazines.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
In reply to 1st page sentiment of how we all argue about the Ranvers but might be best friends in life.......well, I literally didn't recognize one group on entire 1st page......except that Merle Haggard reference. Means i would be no ones friend. What else is new. Im a Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin Journey, Boston kind of guy.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
In reply to 1st page sentiment of how we all argue about the Ranvers but might be best friends in life.......well, I literally didn't recognize one group on entire 1st page......except that Merle Haggard reference. Means i would be no ones friend. What else is new. Im a Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin Journey, Boston kind of guy.

Me too. I still feel Led Zeppelin was the best band ever. The concert at MSG in July 1973 when they filmed " Song Remains the Same" was simply incredible.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I have a few friends who are really into metal, but can't keep up with the sub-categories.

What is Sleep considered? Their new album is great. I can roll with Skeleton Witch too on occasion.

New Sleep record is dope. Not sure what they'd be classified as.. doom metal? Stoner metal? Haha

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Just throwing this out there, but my band just released our first full-length and it's up for streaming or name your price (including $0) download on Bandcamp.

It's instrumental post-rock/post-metal, similar to Russian Circles, Pelican, If These Trees Could Talk, etc, but there are definitely harder/faster parts than those bands as well as slower and groovier parts.

Not sure if anyone is into this kind of stuff specifically, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Overlook, by GRID

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Stone Roses made one of the best albums of all time then disappeared

that album is incredible, just a god tier pop album

just went to record store and scored big time. they actually had paul simon’s self titled, original, in very good condition. also picked up still crazy. managed to find blood on the tracks as well, though it’s a bit “played”

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

just went to record store and scored big time. they actually had paul simon’s self titled, original, in very good condition. also picked up still crazy. managed to find blood on the tracks as well, though it’s a bit “played”
I love when you find one you've been looking for and it's actually still in great condition. Some stores are really consistent with it I've noticed.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Listening to it right now

It’s not perfect but for a 46 year old record? pretty damn good.
Yeah, most of the time they're plenty good enough from my experience.. My girlfriend's dad is always shocked when I buy one that's less than perfect but a lot of them are just super old, can't expect them to be pristine.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I heard a story about the Stone Roses where after they blew up from their first record, they went and blew all their money on like, renting mansions and partying and when they went in the record a second record they realized they didn’t have anything at all to record and they just threw together a bunch of stuff and it was just terrible and they broke up

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Joey Skelly

If anyone wants to hear my stuff, here's the link to my soundcloud. I have an EP out, but it's a little raw, IMO. If you're interested take a listen and give me some feedback/criticism. Thanks and enjoy!! :yo:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Joey Skelly

If anyone wants to hear my stuff, here's the link to my soundcloud. I have an EP out, but it's a little raw, IMO. If you're interested take a listen and give me some feedback/criticism. Thanks and enjoy!! :yo:
Only listened to a little bit cuz my phone was being gay but your flow/wordplay in Pronto is Kanye-esque (not sure how you feel about Kanye but from me I’d consider that a YUUUUGE compliment)

looking forward to listening in full when i have wifi

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->