Post-Game Talk: ★ Young Stars Tournament ☆ Game 2: Calgary 4 - Vancouver 1 FINAL

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Good game guys, Ortio was insane, what a game by him.

Any canucks prospect stand out?.

thanks

Jensen stood out positively. He sure likes too shoot the puck hahaha.
I thought Subban showed glimpses and you can definitely tell he models his offensive game after his brother, but at the same time he did struggle defensively, and will continue to have to work on getting bigger.

Horvat was completely invisible tonight, which I thought was surprising after how dominant he was against San Jose.

I also thought that Henrik Tömmernes had a fairly good game.

TylerSVT*

3 stars:

Mini Kipper
Ferland
Poirier

10/10 would watch Hunter cry again.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks for the scouting report. Nice to see you guys liked subban

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

thanks

Jensen and Subban. Whenever Subban touched the puck an almost primal fear emerged from within myself. If he had a one timer like PK, holy smokes he'd be deadly on the ice.

Aug 3, 2010
He made some big mistakes. He looked tired and sloppy at the end there.

EDIT: he should be because he was a big reason the Flames killed so many power plays

I'd like to see the boxscores. Interested to see how much time Kanzig pulled tonight especially with the penalty parade in the first and second periods.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

thanks

Posted in your GDT I thought Subban was fantastic and I am really jealous we didn't get him. I also really like Cassel, I have to admit to not seeing him a lot before this tournament but yesterday and today he might have been the biggest surprise on your roster, I wish Gaunce could have played as I think his game could be NHL ready (at least for what you need on the 3rd line).

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Good game guys and congrats on the win. Was nice to see some of your lesser-known prospects like Ortio, Ferland, and Ramage in action. They looked great! Was nice to be able to watch some decent hockey. Pretty good pace for a prospects game!

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Oh man, Abbotsford is going to be very exciting this year. Reinhart and Granlund as a couple of exciting offensive players. Ferland as a budding power forward. A couple of gritty depth guys like Jooris and Elson. Last chance guys like Nemisz and Byron there as well.

Then on the backed, the leadership and charisma of Ramage, the physicality and snarl of Sieloff, and the unbelievable poise of Wotherspoon.

Tacked on by the Kiprusoff-esque goaltending of Ortio. Oh yeah, and Laurent Brossoit is pretty good too.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
1. Ortio
2. Porier
3. Roy
Notables: Ferland, Granlund, Ramage, Wotherspoon, Hanowski, and Elson

Worst player of the game: Baerstchi. I also didn't care for Reinhart's game or Knight's

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Oh man, Abbotsford is going to be very exciting this year. Reinhart and Granlund as a couple of exciting offensive players. Ferland as a budding power forward. A couple of gritty depth guys like Jooris and Elson. Last chance guys like Nemisz and Byron there as well.

Then on the backed, the leadership and charisma of Ramage, the physicality and snarl of Sieloff, and the unbelievable poise of Wotherspoon.

Tacked on by the Kiprusoff-esque goaltending of Ortio. Oh yeah, and Laurent Brossoit is pretty good too.

I think I might watch more Heat games this year than I do Flames games.

Aug 3, 2010
Official three stars of the game were Joni Ortio, Eric Roy, and Sean Monahan, respectively.

A few final numbers for tonight's game:

- Shots in favour of Vancouver, 40-31.

- 40 total minutes in penalties this evening.

- Ortio finished with a sparkling 0.975% save percentage.

Tournament totals so far:

- Monahan leads the team with a +3 overall.

- Markus Granlund and John Ramage lead the team with three points each

- Sven Baertschi is -1 and has no points, along with Corban Knight and Tyler Wotherspoon who share this statline

- Calgary leads the tournament with a 25% conversion rate on the PP and a 91.67% PK

Disappointed as I can't seem to find total ice time per skater so far.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Curious, most had Knight as a lock for our #3C. I'm starting to wonder if Granlund takes that from him. I'm really curious to see how him and Monahan do in camp.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ortio.

I ****ing told all of you not to give up on him. Believe me now?

Anyone know if the full game will be available for viewing later? I was at work tonight and only caught bits and pieces and the highlights.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Ortio.

I ****ing told all of you not to give up on him. Believe me now?

Anyone know if the full game will be available for viewing later? I was at work tonight and only caught bits and pieces and the highlights.

You were right. Plan the cup parade for the next ten years guys. Ortio is gonna lead us for years to come.

It was ONE GAME. A ****ing prospect game at that. Calm your ****.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
One game does not make a career. I don't have anything against Ortio, but he's still got a ways to go.

You were right. Plan the cup parade for the next ten years guys. Ortio is gonna lead us for years to come.

It was ONE GAME. A ****ing prospect game at that. Calm your ****.

Forgive me for getting excited about hockey on a hockey forum, jesus. Considering everyone had him all but written off in June, I'm just extremely happy most guys have him on their radar again. One game, in a meaningless tournament, yes. But when I've been deprived of hockey since July, of ourse I'm going to get excited.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I think I might watch more Heat games this year than I do Flames games.

I think I might actually do this. Listening to the Heat play on TEAM radio sated my hockey appetite. Depending on how things go I'll be happy to move my time from Flames to the Heat for season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I wish we would of waited to do our prospect rankings. Ferland should be in our top 20.

While I have been impressed with him you have to remember he is 21 and older than most guys, he is more polished than most others but that doesn't mean he is a better prospect.

Last edited:

Cunuck

Jun 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well played tonight guys! Ortio looked amazing. Other standouts for me were Ferland, Granlund and Reinhart.

So good to finally see some good hockey :D

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
While I have been impressed with him you have to remember he is 23 and older than most guys, he is more polished than most others but that doesn't mean he is a better prospect.

Michael Ferland turned 21 years old five months ago, and has ten games of professional experience under his belt. He is hardly more polished than a good portion of "prospects" in this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad