Post-Game Talk: ★ Young Stars Tournament ☆ Game 2: Calgary 4 - Vancouver 1 FINAL

Aug 3, 2010
FINAL SCORE

large.png
4 - 1
large.png

Young Stars Tournament
Game 2

@

8:30pm Mountain Time
South Okanagan Events Centre
Penticton, British Columbia

720px-SOEC_panorama.jpg

Projected Lineups

200px-Calgary_Flames_Logo.svg.png

CALGARY FLAMES
(1-0-0)

Max Reinhart | Josh Jooris | Linden Penner

Michael Ferland | Sean Monahan | Dylan Smoskowitz

Ben Hanowski | Markus Granlund | Emile Poirier

Turner Elson | Corban Knight | Sven Baertschi

Keegan Kanzig | Ryan Culkin
Zach Davies | Tyler Wotherspoon
Eric Roy | John Ramage
Patrick Sieloff

Joni Ortio
Laurent Brossoit
200px-Vancouver_Canucks_logo.svg.png

VANCOUVER CANUCKS
(1-0-0)

Hunter Shinkaruk | Bo Horvat | Zach Hall

Cain Franson | Cole Cassels | Nicklas Jensen

Adam De Champlain | Phillippe Maillet | Alexandre Mallet

Mitch Elliot | Alex Friesen | Ludwig Blomstrand

Evan McEneny | Frankie Corrado

Sacha Guimond | Jordan Subban

Miles Liberati | Henrik Tommernes

Joacim Eriksson
Mathieu Corbiel
Calgaryflames.com said:
Morning Skate Report: Flames vs. Canucks
Friday, 06.09.2013 / 3:06 PM / News
By Torie Peterson

BUILDING OFF A BIG WIN

On Thursday night, the Calgary Flames kicked off their 2013 Young Stars Classic tournament with a 5-2 win over the Edmonton Oilers and were dominant offensively through all three periods. They outshot their Alberta rivals 32-19 and spent the majority of the game in the Oilers zone.

Abbotsford Heat head coach Troy Ward lauded his club on their puck possession game, making it known how impressed he was with their play in the offensive zone.

"I thought we managed the puck really well. I thought we made really good decisions," the bench boss said after an hour-long skate at the South Okanagan Events Centre. "The guys that had the puck worked hard to keep it and I thought the other guys worked really hard away from the puck to make themselves available.

"An example is the Ferland goal. Goals like that are really pretty goals and that means we had some selfishness with the puck and we made some complete plays."

Overall, Ward was pleased with his team's defensive efforts but deemed the Flames play without the puck as a work in progress.

"We're just trying to lay the foundation of what we're going to do in Calgary and what we're going to do in Abbotsford. I thought we made some good steps."

Looking forward to tonight's tilt with the Vancouver Canucks, Ward expects to see a bit more cohesion amongst his charges now that they've had a chance to practice together a couple of times and sit through systems meetings.

"It will be a good game because they won (last night) too - it's a good test," Ward mused. "It's another rival we get after.

"It's a big game because of their physicality will play an important role - see how we handle that. And they skate pretty well. I'd like to see us utilize our skill a little bit more and move pucks quicker so they can't get to us."

LEARNING FROM HIS MISTAKE

The Edmonton Oilers second goal on Thursday night was officially credited to Travis Ewanyk but the last player to touch the puck before it ended up in the back of the net was Ryan Culkin. The 19 year-old was understandably frustrated with the play and wanted to head to the bench to cool off.

His defence partner, John Ramage, had other ideas. Ramage knew the youngster would be better off playing through it and would be able to glean a better understanding of the game with that approach.

"He gave up that goal to make it 3-2 and Culks is a young guy; he wanted immediately off. Like, 'I gotta get out of here.' And Ramage said, 'You're not going anywhere,'" Ward said.

"I thought Ramage took the bull by the horns. That was the most interesting part of the game. It was one of those leadership moments you're looking for."

SWITCHING NETMINDERS

Joni Ortio will start for the Flames tonight. Last night, Laurent Brossoit helped lead the Flames to a 5-2 win over the Oilers, making 17 saves in 60:00.

Ortio was the Flames sixth round pick in the 2009 NHL Draft.

QUOTABLE

"That helped me mature as a player and as a person too, to know what it takes to be there. I took that into my summer training." - Patrick Sieloff on the time he spent in Calgary rehabbing a groin injury last year

SCRATCHES

Coda Gordon (RW), Brett Kulak (LD), Andy Taranto (C)

Game will be streamed LIVE on
Calgary Flames' Official Website
HQ YouTube Stream

jJCjaVH.png

Last edited:

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Is Sieloff out then? I was hoping he'd have a nice clean hit on Shinkaruk. :laugh:

And nice GDT.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think they are icing seven defensmen, and I imagine that Sieloff will just rotate throughout the pairings.

I might not be able to catch the game tonight which is a shame, but hopefully they perform well! looking forward to seeing Horvat play again for the Canucks. He is a treat to watch.
It will also be interesting to see how Corrado looks after all of the hype he has received as of late.

Aug 3, 2010
Interesting to note that there's a few of try-outs I believe in this game in Smoskowitz, Penner, and Davies. Have heard of Linden Penner but I don't know much about him - Smoskowitz and Davies are unknowns to me.

Looking forward to see how Eric Roy plays as he was the Flames' late steal in the 5th round when he was projected to go somewhere in the third or fourth rounds in prior rankings.

In addition to that, I think they Flames are trying to get some of the lesser prospects more minutes to better evaluate how their performances could shape up. It would explain why Baertschi and Poirier's placement in the bottom 6 for tonight's game.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'll get to watch this one!

I didn't know about that Ramage and Culkin thing; its good to see those guys looking out for each other, especially against a division rival. That's captain material right there.

Trae

Calgary
I heard someone complaining yesterday I think maybe in the Edmonton thread or on twitter that it wasn't working on android either, but can't confirm hah

BUT OH WELL, guess I'll just scoot on over to the ol' desktop and do it the old fashioned way.

Aug 3, 2010
Kanzig is a freaking monster. Just such a beast, I honestly hope this kid can put all the pieces together.

Trae

Calgary
WHERE IS IT

**** me I don't know what will be worse, the Flames horrid season this year or Kerr commentating for another season :/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->