Post-Game Talk: ★ Young Stars Tournament ☆ Game 1: Calgary 5 - Edmonton 2 FINAL

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Maybe he was over-thinking the game? He's one of few who have a legit shot of making the big club and his defensive game was sound from what I heard.

I liked what I saw from him. He's a smart player who understands the smaller nuances of the game. He played well, it's not that.

It's just that he's not as fast or explosive as a guy like Toews or Kopitar (the big two way first line centers that he is sometimes compared to). Ultimately, i don't see him being a good as those guys, which is unfortunate because you need that kind of player to win a Stanley Cup or even just to go deep in the playoffs.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Personally I don't think Baertchi should be in this tourney. I consider him a graduate and would rather see how Horak stacks up against this level of talent.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I liked what I saw from him. He's a smart player who understands the smaller nuances of the game. He played well, it's not that.

It's just that he's not as fast or explosive as a guy like Toews or Kopitar (the big two way first line centers that he is sometimes compared to). Ultimately, i don't see him being a good as those guys, which is unfortunate because you need that kind of player to win a Stanley Cup or even just to go deep in the playoffs.

I wouldn't call either of those players fast or explosive. I mean, they skate when they need to, but neither are flying around the ice every shift.

Saying Monahan will or will not become anything after 1 meaningless prospects game is definitely jumping the gun.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

What about Boston? Monahan doesn't have that explosiveness and offensive dynamic because he's great defensively and at his peak will be a perennial Selke finalist. We can structure a team around defense with no flashy players, like Boston did.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Maybe he was over-thinking the game? He's one of few who have a legit shot of making the big club and his defensive game was sound from what I heard.

I actually really liked his offensive game as well. Always in the right position to create a turnover or capitalize on a loose puck. Distributes the puck very quickly to the point where it's deceptive when discussing how much he is doing in the offensive zone. Played fantastic all over the ice and I would peg him as the 2nd best player on the ice vs Edmonton. He'll probably look best in an offensive role beside more of a puck carrier like Jankowski or Gaudreau.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Jankowski is our explosive, number 1 centre project, Monahan is our safe top 6 centre

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I actually really liked his offensive game as well. Always in the right position to create a turnover or capitalize on a loose puck. Distributes the puck very quickly to the point where it's deceptive when discussing how much he is doing in the offensive zone. Played fantastic all over the ice and I would peg him as the 2nd best player on the ice vs Edmonton. He'll probably look best in an offensive role beside more of a puck carrier like Jankowski or Gaudreau.

That's good. There really isn't a lot of explosive centremen, outside of Malkin, Backstrom and Stamkos. Those #1 guys are usually the anchor to the transition, setting things up and dictating the movements.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I know Horak has played a lot of NHL hockey, but isn't the purpose to measure prospects to their own level of talent?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I think it's the same limitations on what constitutes a rookie season - you have to have 25 NHL games or fewer. At least, that's what it sounded like when Kerr was talking about it yesterday evening on the commentary.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Monahan's skating will improve as he continues his conditioning. This was a similar issue with Stepan. I hope Monahan in his prime becomes a Bergeron type of player.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Kopitar is certainly not explosive, and I would not deem him as a fast player either. In fact people had reservations about his skating ability early in his career much in the same way that you have for Monahan.

It's a non issue in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->