South Okanagan Events Centre
Penticton, British Columbia

720px-SOEC_panorama.jpg

Calgaryflames.com said:
Morning Skate Report: Flames vs. Oilers
Thursday, 05.09.2013 / 1:46 PM / News
By Torie Peterson

BROSSOIT GETS THE NOD

The Calgary Flames kick off the 2013 Young Stars Classic with a game against the Edmonton Oilers and will be utilizing a netminder who has plenty of experience playing alongside a few of Edmonton's prospects.

Laurent Brossoit, Calgary's sixth round pick in the 2011 NHL Draft, has spent the last three seasons with the Edmonton Oil Kings. Oilers prospects Travis Ewanyk, Mitch Moroz, Martin Gernat, David Musil, and Brandon Baddock, who is attending Edmonton's camp on a try-out agreement, have all played with Brossoit in the past.

"I'll be seeing a lot of (my Edmonton) teammates tonight," he chuckled. "I'm excited to see them out there."

Despite being in the Flames organization for three years, this is Brossoit's first appearance at the Young Stars Classic. He missed the tournament in 2011 due to a minor injury and the 2012 Young Stars Classic was cancelled due to the NHL work stoppage.

"I'm more than excited," he said after practice at the South Okanagon Event Centre. "It's been a long time coming. I'm just glad that I finally get to get a game in."

Brossoit has been a pillar of strength for the Oil Kings over the last two years, taking them all the way to the WHL Championship series in both seasons and capturing the Ed Chynoweth Cup in 2012. It appears he is ready to make the jump to the pro ranks rather than play out his overage year in the WHL and this tournament is the first step in that process.

"I don't want to think too much about it," he said. "I don't want to look at how in depth their decision is going to be. I'm just going to go out there and control what I can control. That's my performance on the ice."

Joni Ortio also is in Penticton for the Young Stars Classic. The pair may split the goaltending duties evenly at the tournament so there is a good chance he will take over in net tomorrow night when the Flames face the Vancouver Canucks at 8:30 PM MT.

2013 FIRST ROUNDERS READY TO GO

Sean Monahan, the 6th overall pick at the 2013 NHL Draft, and Emile Poirier, the 22nd overall pick, will be in the lineup tonight and both are eager to get the tournament underway.

"I think I've been preparing for this throughout the whole summer," Monahan stated. "I think it's an exciting time and just getting out there for pre-game skate ... there was a bit of nerves but like I said, it's an exciting time."

Both Monahan and Poirier already have a few games under their belt this summer as they were invited to the Hockey Canada World Junior development camp in Brossard, QC & Lake Placid, NY. According to Poirier, that experience was beneficial in preparing for this tournament.

"I had the chance to compete before coming here so it helped me."

Morgan Klimchuk, the 28th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, will not participate in the Young Stars Classic. He suffered an abdominal wall strain injury during a recent pre-season game with the Regina Pats. He is expected to miss 2-4 weeks.

FLAMES ROSTER NOTE

The Flames announced on Wednesday that Ryan Howse has been suspended for failing to report to training camp.

"The Club will have no further comment at this time," general manager Jay Feaster said in a press release.

QUOTABLE

"We have to get these guys feeling comfortable within the system and feeling good about themselves as they put themselves in a position to make the Flames." - Abbotsford Heat head coach Troy Ward on what he wants his charges to get out of this tournament.

SPORTCHEK BROADCAST SCHEDULE

All Flames games will be broadcast on CalgaryFlames.com.

Link to stream - http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=616&id=443053&lang=en&navid=DL|CGY|home

HOCKEY HAS RETURNED

jJCjaVH.png

Last edited:

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
If only we had Gaudreau, Jankowski, Gilles, Ago, and Klimchuk. That'd be a sick roster to watch

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I'm probably more so excited to watch how our D-men play. I'll have an eye out for Sieloff, Wotherspoon, and Kanzig.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Sven crushes Miller in the handshake portion of the game!
Rivalry is heating up already! :yo:

Aug 3, 2010
Nurse picks up a penalty against Bartschi. Powerplay Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad