• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

As long as we add the needed depth when needed this is fine by me.

At this point it's hard to tell what the needed depth is.

And if you overstock the roster, you really do block off opportunities for growth for the young group that is already here. The lesson that many have drawn from the William Karlsson fiasco is that you have to give minutes to younger players and see what they have. Calvert left because of playing time issues. I'm frankly surprised that guys like Kukan and Hannikainen have been as patient as they have been. I wouldn't have re-signed here with the roster as deep as it has been the last few years.

8/9 of our top 9 is still here so I don't see why the prognosis for the team should shift much.

This club hasn't shied away from spending to the cap, so the most likely explanation for not signing UFAs this summer is that they have big plans elsewhere (trade, UFA 2019, signing Bob+Panarin, etc...).

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Panarin's agent says he wants to see what he organization does before talking extension.

Organization signs 3 AHL-NHL tweener defenseman. Only. Talk about enticing.

Have a good summer, ya'll.

Reactions: CBJSTH

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
There’s your Derek Ryan replacement

So barring any other deals, we’re looking at a lineup of:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Nash-Anderson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Davidsson/Abramov

Werenski-Jones
Murray-Nutivaara
Kukan-Savard
Harrington/Carlsson/Clendening

Unless if Milano and Bjorkstrand have great breakout seasons (>50 points of production) and Wennberg rebounds to 50+ points, this is a bubble team that’ll be carried by Bob, Bread and Jones. Again.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Jenner - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Nash - Anderson
Sedlak - Dubinsky - Milano/Hannikainen

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Savard
Nutivaara - Kukan
Harrington

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That's not happening though. At the TDL the only teams that would trade for him are ones at the top of the standings.
And now you see how he can potentially be screwing us.

If he let it be known now he's not sold on Columbus, we actually could get useful pieces and the longer he procrastinates on what he wants, the lower his value goes. A first is better than nothing. Either way it's going to hurt, at least this way we have one more chip.

Reactions: CPTN71

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Panarin - PLD - Atkinson
Jenner - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Nash - Anderson
Sedlak - Dubinsky - Milano/Hannikainen

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Savard
Nutivaara - Kukan
Harrington
Id flip Savard and Nuti but honestly that roster doesnt look bad too me, i dont have the doom and gloom approach so many others do. Maybe i have higher expectations for Cam and Bjorkstrand

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Roster obviously looks like the exact same roster from October-December aside from Kukan and Nash. I think it will have similar results. Bubble team.
I think Abramov, Davidsson will vastly increase this teams speed though . With Riley coming , have to imagine Rick follows

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That's actually a really good deal for Riley Nash. I was only shying away from him because I thought he would go for more than that. Riley Nash had like 13 points in 13 games when he stepped up for Bergeron.

I like the build of our top 9. It might actually be better overall than the top 9 that led the league in goals after the deadline.

Unless if Milano and Bjorkstrand have great breakout seasons (>50 points of production) and Wennberg rebounds to 50+ points, this is a bubble team that’ll be carried by Bob, Bread and Jones. Again.

Internal improvement isn't just a catch phrase, it's a legit likelihood with the ages of this group. You really should expect Dubois, Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Anderson, Werenski, Jones, Nutivaara, Kukan, Korpisalo to improve. Not all of them, of course, but the collective improvement is likely worth a lot more than any UFA activity we would plausibly be involved in.

Roster obviously looks like the exact same roster from October-December aside from Kukan and Nash. I think it will have similar results. Bubble team.

Can I ask why the Jackets of the middle part of last year are the "real Jackets" but the Jackets at the end, and the Jackets of 2016-2017 are the "fake Jackets"? It's just so in keeping with your tendencies that you would choose the worst stretch in recent history to be the expectation.

Reactions: Viqsi and koteka

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Can I ask why the Jackets of the middle part of last year are the "real Jackets" but the Jackets at the end, and the Jackets of 2016-2017 are the "fake Jackets"? It's just so in keeping with your tendencies that you would choose the worst stretch in recent history to be the expectation.

That's over half of the season, isn't it? Or at least close. Jackets started out very well and faded and then were out of it before the deadline. Sure, injuries were an issue especially with Wennberg and Atkinson due to our lack of scoring and lack of centers, and that must be accounted for when talking about last year, but even when they came back we still struggled mightily and only improved when fresh blood was injected into the lineup. 16-17 Jackets were a bubble team if that 16 game streak didn't happen. Just like this years team wouldn't have made it in without the 10 game streak (Hell, if it was a 9 game streak they miss).

I think it's very possible Wennberg rebounds and plays well. I also think it's very possible PLD, who way over achieved any expectations last year from not only us fans but even management, takes a step back. Not to say he will have a Wennberg-like year of struggling, but trusting a 20 year old to be the #1 C again is dangerous, regardless of how good he was as a rookie. That's not even factoring in the potential Panarin/Bobrovsky trade.

I don't think the team is bad, per se, but I don't think we're better than the team that lost to Washington. Cole is better than Kukan and Harrington. Vanek is better than any youngster who will take his spot (at least for this year), and Nash is an improvement over Letestu.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If he will actually negotiate, yeah you keep him and try to hammer out a deal. If not, you trade him. Him not negotiating is the first signal that he is leaving. He likely won't outright say it. But if he won't change that stance then you need to trade him. I sound like a broken record, but we can absolutely no way lose Panarin for nothing in the event a separation is immanent.

He's been up front so far, I don't see how that would change. He probably wants to simply spend more time around the city and around the team/guys. Remember, he's only been around for a year. Your going under the assumption that he WONT sign at any time. That's not what was said. If it comes to the trade deadline and the team is out at the deadline, he will be traded. If the team is in good shape and he says he's still not SURE, I keep him. If the team is in the playoffs, and he says that he's not signing, THEN there is a hard decision to make.

Reactions: stevo61
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->