• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Did anyone follow Vermette's career in Anaheim? The stats on the surface met my expectations but I can't say I paid any attention to him there. Our PK needs help. Our center depth needs help. Even if he's no more than a 4th liner he's still elite on faceoffs. Anyone opposed to a short-term deal with about $1M AAV? Or is he just done?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Our D depth sucks out loud. It was apparent at development camp when we signed 276 guys to FA invites to fill out the roster, and it has continued with signing more guys for Cleveland than for the NHL roster.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Did anyone follow Vermette's career in Anaheim? The stats on the surface met my expectations but I can't say I paid any attention to him there. Our PK needs help. Our center depth needs help. Even if he's no more than a 4th liner he's still elite on faceoffs. Anyone opposed to a short-term deal with about $1M AAV? Or is he just done?

He’s fine but it would be another case of “getting the band back together”. Those rarely work out. Also he’ll sign for more than $1 mil somewhere.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
would anyone waste the money left after the RFA sing on Thornton to try to center the first line while Dubois gain experience ?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do i need to repeat it more clearly? Clearly you don't understand...

Or does not everyone on here understand proper risk analysis?

The futures that we get from a Panarin trade has such a low odds of becoming a decent NHL player that it's functionally nothing.

Say we trade him to one of the worst teams for their #1 pick in next year's draft lottery unprotected.
Turns out to be #1. Jack Hughes rumored to be a generational talent C. See it can work.

I'd rather have that chance than no chance of that.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Say we trade him to one of the worst teams for their #1 pick in next year's draft lottery unprotected.
Turns out to be #1. Jack Hughes rumored to be a generational talent C. See it can work.

I'd rather have that chance than no chance of that.
That's not happening though. At the TDL the only teams that would trade for him are ones at the top of the standings.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
would anyone waste the money left after the RFA sing on Thornton to try to center the first line while Dubois gain experience ?

Yes, of course. He would be a fantastic add on a one year deal. But he's been pretty clear he is staying where he is.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Year one of a 15 year rebuild. What a terrible offseason. Sign nobody. Panarin wants out. Let heart and soul Calvert go for 2.8 million. Everyone else gets better. We lose Cole, Vanek, Letestu, Calvert, essentially Dubi since he can’t ever play like he needs to again. And replace with nobody. Mark my words, we aren’t making the playoffs next year.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Year one of a 15 year rebuild. What a terrible offseason. Sign nobody. Panarin wants out. Let heart and soul Calvert go for 2.8 million. Everyone else gets better. We lose Cole, Vanek, Letestu, Calvert, essentially Dubi since he can’t ever play like he needs to again. And replace with nobody. Mark my words, we aren’t making the playoffs next year.

And we’ll get the double whammy of missing the playoffs AND trading Panarin at the TDL for a prospect and a pick. It can and will get worse.

Reactions: ca5150 and CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Tavares wanted to come here but Jarmo was busy in the mega-negotiation for Tommy Cross and couldn’t take his call

That's weird. His goodbye to NYI said "realize my dream and come home." Wasn't aware he was born here.

Reactions: CBJSTH

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

29n9gg0.jpg

Reactions: ca5150

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Haha, believe me, I’m not rooting against it and hope I’m wrong, but without the streaks the last 2 years, we don’t get in. We aren’t even close to compeating with TB, Bos, Tor, Wash, Pitt, Jersey and Philly have made strides and signings that will make them better as well.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'm not exactly having my mind blown yet, but I'm not too broken up about who's leaving, either.

The only one we've lost that I'm really going to miss all that much is Cole. He provided solid minutes on the backline, and chipped in a few points as well.

But Vanek was a rent-a-player who filled a role and was never going to stay long-term. Everyone talks about what a great guy Mark Letestu is, but he only gave us one point every fifth game. And I love Matty Ice, but he only had 24 points in 69 games, and he had the worst rating on the team. You can find other guys who work hard.

Obviously, these spots need to be filled, but these guys aren't exactly an All-Star team, either. The key is going to be what happens with the Panarin situation. Hard for me to pass any kind of judgement until that's resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->