5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I know it’s been talked about a lot
I know there are always a ton of comments during games
I know we’ve all seen it...

but...

Drai has such an amazing backhand - we’re seeing greatness.

I think it’s so good we might see/hope a backhand being called it’s own name. Just like Tommy John surgery, or other names given to plays or certain attributes by one great player, Leon could easily be given such accolades. The guy had such an amazing backhand!!

Oh and the obligatory suck it Llames!

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah when it works. Yet he sends 50% of his back hand no looks right to the opposition

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That backhand pass to McDavid last night (anyone got a gif or something?), which McD unfortunately didn't score on, was one of the greatest passes I've seen in 35 years of watching the NHL.

Reactions: fresh meat

Adamantoise

Mar 15, 2021
Leon is one of the best talent of all time. God be merciful and let Oilers taste playoff success, and he could end up top 20 all time.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He is a great passer, of which his backhand pass is superb. That's all that needs to be said. No gimmicky or silly nickname required.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How about just the announcer saying after one of his great passes that leads to a goal:

“He takes it Drai and scooooooooooooorrrrrreeeeeees!!!!”

Has a catchy ring about it.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
This stuff is almost as lame as Terry Jones wanting to call Connor, "Rocket" McDavid.:laugh:;)

lol - I was in a good mood - we were winning the game when I came up with this 'clever' thought. Of course, I might have had a few wobbly-pops before which always helps one be extremely creative hehe

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Saitl Sauce

giphy.gif

This one’s not bad at all :thumbu:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This Draisaitl moving, spinning backhand was sexy as f***, to get McDavid his hatty

This play is a highlight of what makes Draisaitl such a dominant player. 99% left handed forwards in this exact scenario would have taken Nuge's pass and turned right, in order to open up their body so that they were facing the center ice, head up so they could see what the offensive options are.
But by rotating into the boards Draisaitl keeps his back facing the slot and this allows the defensemen Edler and Hughes to mentally relax momentarily because Draisaitl appears like he is in an unthreatening position. Had he turned to face center ice with the puck on his forehand like any other player would have done, Hughes would have been on higher alert and picked up McDavid in the slot and this goal doesn't happen.

Also credit to Draisaitl for not only out thinking the opposition on this play but also snapping the perfect backhand sauce right to McDavid's tape. Literally perfectly placed and more importantly fast enough that it quickly reaches McDavid's left side so he is able to pull it back across the blue paint to deke an excellent goaltender in Demko.

There are only a handful of players who are as truly comfortable on their backhand as they are their forehand and Draisaitl is absolutely one of them. I personally think he has the best passing ability in the entire NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: B33K33PING

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad