Rumor: “Everyone is fair game” in Ducks trade talks except Gibson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cam Fowler has a 4 team trade list, Pretty much guarantee Montreal isn't on it. Not sure why Fowler would waive to go there any ways.

You don't know this. "Pretty much Guarantee"? Come on man. The only concern I would have that would fit your narrative is Fowler is a Ontario boy. Same concern I had with Tavares. Aside from Cammy, I don't recall too many Ontario boys choosing Montreal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe the Kapanen one works for Anaheim, but I can't see Johnsson and Liljegren being enough.

Sandin = lilly
Kapanen >> Johnsson.

Kapanen and Nylander are the proven talent that they would be looking for. Johnsson or any prospect is not proven talent. I think Kapanen, Sandin or Lilly, and a 1st or 2nd would be a solid package to acquire that top 4D.... If the Ducks are after a young proven player with futures on top. If not, then you start with Nylander

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You don't know this. "Pretty much Guarantee"? Come on man. The only concern I would have that would fit your narrative is Fowler is a Ontario boy. Same concern I had with Tavares. Aside from Cammy, I don't recall too many Ontario boys choosing Montreal.
He was born in Canada but moved to Detroit at a young age. Grew up as a Wings fan and represents USA internationally so I don’t know if he really counts as an Ontario boy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was born in Canada but moved to Detroit at a young age. Grew up as a Wings fan and represents USA internationally so I don’t know if he really counts as an Ontario boy.

His family still has Ontario connections I'm assuming. But I did not now that he moved to Detroit at a young age.

However, to think that Montreal is guaranteed not to be on his list? It's possible but there is little evidence to support it.

How teams are trending and the taxes in the state/province is a factor. Pretty sure Fowler would be ok with playing with Weber or Petry and the youngest group of forwards in the NHL with one of the best prospect pools

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah Fowler was born in Windsor Ontario Canada but left there at 1 1/2 years old and the family moved to Farmington Hill, Michigan where he grew up. Who cares if he's a Ontario boy he grew up in Michigan and his roots are in Michigan his Wife Jasmine Maggard is from Michigan Ann Arbor. Pretty sure he'd come home to Detroit before Montreal. Fowler considers himself more American then Canadien hence why he plays for Team USA.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
His family still has Ontario connections I'm assuming. But I did not now that he moved to Detroit at a young age.

However, to think that Montreal is guaranteed not to be on his list? It's possible but there is little evidence to support it.

How teams are trending and the taxes in the state/province is a factor. Pretty sure Fowler would be ok with playing with Weber or Petry and the youngest group of forwards in the NHL with one of the best prospect pools
Pretty sure the only Ontario connection was that his Dad worked for Ford of Canada. His Dad is from Nova Scotia and his Mom from Michigan there's zero evidence of any Ontario connection other then Cam was born there. His Sisters were born there in Detroit. So there's more of a Michigan connection then Ontario Canada.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Is Kapanen + 1st + Liljegren close to the value Ducks fans would want for Manson?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
That looks like a pretty fair offer for Manson?
I'd do it and then trade Brown to a team like the Oilers for a few middle round picks. Helps make things a lot less unclear regarding the roster.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Bracco/Ennis
Moore-Gauthier-Lindholm

Rielly-Manson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Andersen

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'd do it and then trade Brown to a team like the Oilers for a few middle round picks. Helps make things a lot less unclear regarding the roster.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Bracco/Ennis
Moore-Gauthier-Lindholm

Rielly-Manson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Andersen
Agreed that's a pretty sweet lineup with Manson there. He'd definitely help solidify the Leafs D core.

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
Cam Fowler has a 4 team trade list, Pretty much guarantee Montreal isn't on it. Not sure why Fowler would waive to go there any ways.
With Fowler in the fold and the youngsters a year older, there's no reason why Montreal wouldn't contend next year. Compare that to Anaheim's situation and I could see him waiving his NTC if he values winning.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
With Fowler in the fold and the youngsters a year older, there's no reason why Montreal wouldn't contend next year. Compare that to Anaheim's situation and I could see him waiving his NTC if he values winning.
Montreal has talent coming up no denying it, But Prices health issues and yes that contract is going to be an albatross within 5 years or so. There's no guarantee's where they're heading. Anaheim's situation is bad right now. Fowler only know's what he could do if he were asked to waive.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015

Quebec has pretty much the worst taxes in North America; definitely not a selling point on trying to get him to join the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Quebec has pretty much the worst taxes in North America; definitely not a selling point on trying to get him to join the Habs.

Similar to Ontario. In truth, there are a few states who have a significant advantage. But the difference between NYC and Ontario/Quebec is not huge.

- Ontario and Quebec are about 48%/49% taxed
- NYC is about 48% taxed
- California is about 50%

* Florida, Tampa, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas is around 30-35%. A huge advantage. Subban for example pocketed a bit more than a $1M extra per year in clear take home money after being traded to the Preds. Opposite for Weber.

Last edited:

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
Montreal has talent coming up no denying it, But Prices health issues and yes that contract is going to be an albatross within 5 years or so. There's no guarantee's where they're heading. Anaheim's situation is bad right now. Fowler only know's what he could do if he were asked to waive.
That albatross is only gonna get smaller as every year passes. It's fine. I mean, Montreal isn't the Lightning by any stretch but it should contend for the foreseeable future, especially with a dman like Fowler to complete the top 3.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Petry's value gets devalued due to where he came from. When you look at what he has done in the last 2 seasons (with and without Weber in the line-up), you start to see that he is not the same player from 3+ years ago.

This article came out Oct 6th of 2018 (See below). It evaluated defenseman over the last 3 seasons so it don't include this year and how Petry has improved his stats even more. Lindholm was 18th and Petry was 13th. Petry has more value than most will admit. Same treatment Patch got.

In terms of future potential, I would give the edge to Lindholm due to being younger and you assume he improves. However, as it stands today and based on the latest sample size, Petry has done better. The evidence is there if you choose to look into it.

I remember looking at it and saying that is very surprising. And then Petry has done what he has done so far this year. He is a rising stock no doubt about it. Not many fans will give any credit to any Habs assets... that is a trend on these boards. Create the pool if you wish. I know where it will lead and I won't be surprised. Disappointed? Nah, Popularity means nothing with me. I do my own homework and it's a fair assessment. On these boards, Patch was not worth much and Price has negative value. It's a bunch of horse ****

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

The ranking methodology in that article is just laughable. The fact that Fowler is no. 6 immediately reveals the deep flaws, not to mention that Duncan Keith is at 15. As a ducks fan, I can 1000% tell you Cam Fowler is not the 6th best defensemen in the league. I still want him on my team, but I am in touch with reality.

I'm not basing Petry. Maybe he's a hidden gem. I'm sure he's a useful player that most teams would want on their roster. But I can guarantee you there is not a single GM in the league that would trade Lindholm for Petry. Not one. Edit: Chiarelli might, but that only reinforces my point.

And when you take into consideration age and contract, Lindholm's value is made even higher.

You've insisted you're entitled to your opinion. You certainly are. But the fact that not a single person here agrees with it should tell you something. Perhaps your Habs colored glasses need to be removed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad