Friedman: “Believe Kovalchuk’s eyes are on New York” (if he returns to the NHL

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I get the bitterness towards Kovalchuk because of how he screwed the Devils. But I'd sure as hell give him a one year, five million deal to see if he can still cut it in the NHL. Worst case scenario is he doesn't work out and don't re-sign him.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Cant imagine he will want to go to a down trending Rangers team. And we know he didnt mean the Islanders because they wont even have Tavares.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
If Kovy wants to play in New York, they should sign him. 2 year deal for whatever they can afford. If he works out, you can trade him in the second year for assets to help with your retool/rebuild. If he doesn’t, it’s only two years.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Rangers are better off without Kovalchuk. He's 35 this year and a team heading for a youth movement doesn't need Kovalchuk.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Multiple players have done exactly that to play in Chicago in recent years. Not saying Kovalchuk would or that Tampa is even on his radar but it's not a new concept.
That is staying in a place that you have been for a long time; show where it has been a player that could get 6 million per year on the open market going to somewhere that he has never played before for 1 million.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why wouldnt he go somewhere with a chance to win the Cup any time soon?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Guess Kovalchuk will be coming back the NHL after he gets finishing 6th in the Olympics out of his system...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I've got my eye on New York too, I think my chances are about as good. Probably better, I'd play for the league minimum. Someone is going to overspend on this guy though.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
His best move for his career is just to stay in Russia at this point. He's not going to make nearly as much in the NHL and probably wouldn't be much more than a middle six special teams guy now.

I don't think you understand how good Kovalchuk still is. He's a top line forward for SURE. But in 2 years he might not be. Would be risky to sign him anything more than 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad