Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
These guys could make anyone look like Horachek. Bringing Keefe in to finish the season would be a bad move
The only reason it would be a bad move, would be for Babcock. To show once and for all what an overrated coach he has been for years. Like I said, we are playing like crap now anyway so no pressure, but if he turns it around he is an instant hero.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
The only reason it would be a bad move, would be for Babcock. To show once and for all what an overrated coach he has been for years.
The chances of the Leafs making the playoffs are pretty remote already. What we don't want is to be finishing in true Leafs style a couple of points out of the playoffs or even worse 11th from the bottom.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
The chances of the Leafs making the playoffs are pretty remote already. What we don't want is to be finishing in true Leafs style a couple of points out of the playoffs or even worse 11th from the bottom.
Well your right, the chance of us making the playoffs is remote, and for good reason. Look who the coach is. The team can still make the playoffs easily with a coach in line with how the team is built. Staying the course is pure stupidity.

Reactions: stickty111

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
At the end of the season, if Leafs don't make the playoffs, it will fall on Dubas and Shanny. They went with Babcock to start the season, the time to fire him was in the Spring. They also got really bent over in all those contract negotiations. Plus, Barrie turned out to be a bad fit. They won't escape the heat. They think that keeping Babcock they are sheltering themselves. Well, that's only for now. They will fully deserve to feel the wrath if Leafs don't make it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
At the end of the season, if Leafs don't make the playoffs, it will fall on Dubas and Shanny. They went with Babcock to start the season, the time to fire him was in the Spring. They also got really bent over in all those contract negotiations. Plus, Barrie turned out to be a bad fit. They won't escape the heat. They think that keeping Babcock they are sheltering themselves. Well, that's only for now.

Oh yeah people will not be happy. But step 1 is to start with a coaching change. Same issues, and bottom line is every coach has a shelf life. Then you can properly evaluate the core et al. But this will have to be done soon if there's any hope of turning things around. Even if they end up winning a few games on the road-trip I still think you start with step 1

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
At the end of the season, if Leafs don't make the playoffs, it will fall on Dubas and Shanny. They went with Babcock to start the season, the time to fire him was in the Spring. They also got really bent over in all those contract negotiations. Plus, Barrie turned out to be a bad fit. They won't escape the heat. They think that keeping Babcock they are sheltering themselves. Well, that's only for now. They will fully deserve to feel the wrath if Leafs don't make it.
I agree, they decided to stay with Babcock, who is clearly the wrong coach for this team, they should all be fired if they miss the playoffs. I would even say if they got put out in the first round again with Babcock they should be gone.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Before removing anyone they really should go back to the 'No Facial Hair' policy and see if that gets things back on track.

While you jest here, there might be some underlying truth behind the message and that the Leafs needed more rules and structure and discipline.

Lou Lams military like approach that is often mocked may have had a effect on the players particularly if things like entitlement or need structure in their life.

There is a reason the army has rules to promote a cohesive front and solidarity and everyone on the same page and pulling the same direction.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Oh yeah people will not be happy. But step 1 is to start with a coaching change. Same issues, and bottom line is every coach has a shelf life. Then you can properly evaluate the core et al. But this will have to be done soon if there's any hope of turning things around. Even if they end up winning a few games on the road-trip I still think you start with step 1
Exactly, you start with that step 1 ASAP.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yep.

Regardless of where each fan points the finger, we can all agree that they need to pick a direction and go with it. The Babcock-Dubas tug-of-war isn’t working.

This roster isn’t winning a cup but it should absolutely be in the playoffs.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
:laugh:

Hate it or love it, the Tavares signing a year prior to key RFA’s was what upset the balance. It’s cost them their depth, their leadership, and this year, possibly the playoffs.

Tavares’ contract will be an albatross in its final few years and I can almost predict what’ll happen with Matthews at that point.

Dubas is the worst hire in the history of the franchise. You’ll see.

47 goal center is the problem your right. It couldn’t be that Lou signed zaitsev to a 7 year deal or Marleau to an extra year?

We must have been the only team chasing JT, stupid dubas!!

Exit the thread.

Reactions: ToMaLe and SprDaVE

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
This is a great post. The softness comes from Babcock. Dubas teams had an element of grit in the past. People are blaming the wrong person for the team being soft. This is on Babcock.

Seriously, look no further then Muzzin before/after his trade to Toronto. A drastic decrease in hits almost immediately.

This is not a physical system (which I'm okay with), but sadly it also doesn't do much justice for speed/skill.

Reactions: stickty111

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
47 goal center is the problem your right. It couldn’t be that Lou signed zaitsev to a 7 year deal or Marleau to an extra year?

Exit the thread.
No one contract is to blame, but the collection of three 11 million dollar ones (and 40m into 4 players on an 80m cap) has prevented them from filling out the bottom of the roster. I’m not sure how you’d even dispute that.

The Leafs were the only ones with 3 key RFA’s needing substantial raises.

Right or wrong, he needed to be very frugal after if he signs that deal.... and he was the opposite.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Exit the thread.

He's not fully wrong, it's not really what JT has brought to the table and more so what his signing set up and what it has cost the team. I'm not going to go as far as to say he's the problem, but this did cost the team it's entire ability to strategically craft a team from the bottom up and create depth. Instead, it likely gave Matthews the ammo he needed to get his contract signed, as well as Marner.

Based on examples from recent winners, that 11m was probably better off being spent on a 2C and 2D then Tavares. Impossible to know for sure, but (it's possible) this got Matthews and Marner down 1~ million each on their deals as well.

My entire problem with the signing, is that lets say this is a Crosby/Malkin/Letang or Ovi situation where we need to wait a few years until the big 3 cap hits have a lesser impact so we can acquire the depth we need to finally win. Guess how old JT will be then? A lot will depend on how well he's playing at 32/33/34 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->