Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Wouldn't it be amusing if he doesn't get his 200th win because of Babcock getting himself fired? Shades of Modano all over again.

What an ego :sarcasm:

I liken it to an analogy about a problem with your foot. Do you amputate the whole foot (players) when you could get away with just the toes first (coaches)? Trading a star player would be too drastic unless you see them play under a new coaching system...give them a chance to show you that it was the players at fault and not the coach before doing something stupid.

So would the players be toe nails in your analogy? And would that be less drastic than an amputation?

I'm very confused by this

Reactions: ACC1224

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Ian Tulloch is a journalist with zero credentials in hockey.

If you need medical advice, do you ask your gardener?

Tulloch should stick to his geek squad pod or whatever it’s called... Analysis clearly isn’t his thing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Detroit under Babcock was:

25th, 24th, 22nd, 7th, 18th, 24th, 28th, 25th in hits. Detroit had Babcock's dream bottom-6 grinders and he managed TWO years outside of the bottom-10 in hits.

I think people are confused about where the softness comes from.
This is a great post. The softness comes from Babcock. Dubas teams had an element of grit in the past. People are blaming the wrong person for the team being soft. This is on Babcock.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Also just thought...even last yr when Marlies got brought up they played real well the first several games then vanished for the most part. Some of that is not being ready but some of that could be Keefe knows how to get the most out of his players each and every year and Babcock right now and since maybe Xmas last year has been sliding
It's not just the caluups from the Marlies who are having this issue. There has been a very clear change with vets like Muzzin and Barrie since joining the Leafs, especially true for Barrie. A good coach is able to assess his roster and put those players in the best position to succeed. Babcock on the other hand wants everyone to be a robot. Players are not robots, and while some players are capable of molding their game into something more, the vast majority of players are who they are.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wouldn't it be amusing if he doesn't get his 200th win because of Babcock getting himself fired? Shades of Modano all over again.

What an ego :sarcasm:
As nice as it will be to have a new voice, this whole thing has been hugely entertaining. Sad that it's far more fun than the games. :laugh:
They're not wrong. He has a massive ego, whatever pronoun he uses on any given occasion isn't going to change that.

Yep, no doubt. :laugh:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This is a great post. The softness comes from Babcock. Dubas teams had an element of grit in the past. People are blaming the wrong person for the team being soft. This is on Babcock.
He's totally stifling William "Oglethorpe" Nylander.

Reactions: Erdinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Looking at the Marlies championship team from a couple seasons ago, there are a few players that had the grit factor.
Ben Smith
Mason Marchment(Dubas signing)
Colin Greening
Vincent Loverde(Dubas signing)
Andreas Borgman

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They're not wrong. He has a massive ego, whatever pronoun he uses on any given occasion isn't going to change that.
Not to worry.
Gary Nylund is going to watch this team hard until they make changes or figure it out.
Gary Nylund will be around long after the coach. Never bet against Gary Nylund.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I can't believe how this gets ignored. This is a textbook example of buying something you can't really afford, then having to scramble and sacrifice to pay for down the road.

The post you responded to was borderline delusional.
You can’t afford a new car if you’ll need food stamps to eat next week.

Most kids learn this with their first credit card. Dubas is like a teenager who stole his dads.

Reactions: Erdinger

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yep, the players are the bigger problem.

Remember that time Matthews had Hyman take draws on the PK while playing on a torn ACL only to lose every one and have Boston score multiple PP goals shortly after.

Matthews should have been traded for his gross incompetence. Only an idiot would follow a player like that into battle.

Maybe Matthews should have proven to be a better option. As I said, I don't like some of the decisions, but I also do understand them. Babcock though Hyman, even on one leg, was a better option that Matthews. That's partially on Matthews. His effort level and attention to detail is wildly inconsistent.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not to worry.
Gary Nylund is going to watch this team hard until they make changes or figure it out.
Gary Nylund will be around long after the coach. Never bet against Gary Nylund.

TBH, I'm at the point where I'm not sure how much I'll be watching. I won't be planning my schedule around the games as I usually do, if I'm I'll have the game on as background noise but probably be doing something else at the same time.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
TBH, I'm at the point where I'm not sure how much I'll be watching. I won't be planning my schedule around the games as I usually do, if I'm I'll have the game on as background noise but probably be doing something else at the same time.

I felt that way until watching Saturday. Now it's much watch stuff to see just how low these guys can go on the give a shit meter. I would normally not plan on watching the Pacific time zone games but I'm making an exception this week

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I hear ya.
I usually never miss a game even the late ones. But tonight, with it being a 10:00 pm start for me, plus the level of frustration, I'm thinking sleeping is a better reward.

from1981

Jan 7, 2015
Figured this is thread worthy.

Seems like we are closing in on a coaching change unless things drastically turn around.

Both Friedman and CJ seemed to give the sense that there’s great concern with how the team has been playing overall and how they’ve started periods and games overall.
I'm not really a Leafs fan and so can be a bit more objective I think. The things I see with this team on the ice have been happening consistently for many years prior to the Babcock/Shanahan era.
Simply, they give up far too many quality scoring chances, and they have done so as long as I can remember. As a team they've improved their player drafting and development philosophy big time, but they generally play a weak style, and if they don't have one of the league's best goalies in net, their weak style kills them. They've moved the only quality backups they've had and now what do they do ?
Think about who Babcock had on his great Red Wings teams, especially on the blue line, and there's the difference. When is the last time the Leafs had a "stud" defenseman, either offensive or defensive ?
On the other hand, look where St. Louis was at this time last season, and look where they finished.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Hayes had a good point yesterday; if Babcock is fired the new coach will be expected to save the season. Do we have someone capable of that sort of pressure mid-way through the year?
And it could be the exact opposite. We are playing like crap anyway, continuing could be expected so no pressure, but a big turn around and the guy could be in for a huge raise plus would be now seen as a saviour to millions of fans. I would be pumped to take that on.

from1981

Jan 7, 2015
yup, I'm not trusting Dubas to make any moves at this point, Babcock isn't the right coach and Dubas isn't the right GM.
Think about how players make their coach look good.
Example: Quick made the LA coaches look good all those years. Brodeur the same in N.J. Roy in Montreal. Orr in Boston. Crosby in Pitts. Lidstrom in Detroit, etc. etc.
Nylander should have been traded during his holdout, Marner should never been given an "A" and probably should have been dealt. The Leafs could have got 4 or five character players
who could have made up for the scoring loss, and at the same time made them a lot harder to play against.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
And it could be the exact opposite. We are playing like crap anyway, continuing could be expected so no pressure, but a big turn around and the guy could be in for a huge raise plus would be now seen as a saviour to millions of fans. I would be pumped to take that on.
After seeing what happened to Horachek with the last group of entitled players I would be wary as a coach stepping up to be the sacrificial lamb for the next 5 months

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Let's be honest here. Both are soft as butter.

Dubas did bring in Tavares and Muzzin, both of whom are tough to play against.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
After seeing what happened to Horachek with the last group of entitled players I would be wary as a coach stepping up to be the sacrificial lamb for the next 5 months
Everyone and their dog knew Horachek was only there for a few weeks to close out the season. If Keefe was brought in that is a whole different scenario all together. Horachek is a terrible comparison.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Everyone and their dog knew Horachek was only there for a few weeks to close out the season. If Keefe was brought in that is a whole different scenario all together. Horachek is a terrible comparison.
These guys could make anyone look like Horachek. Bringing Keefe in to finish the season would be a bad move and one I don't think Dubas is prepared to make right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->