‘Too Much Fortnite’

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If it were a good game, that would be a different story.

To people who take long plane trips daily, they likely don't have the opportunity to sit down and play Skyrim.

If you own a good laptop or a mobile phone you can play Fortnite on the plane, in the cab, in the hotel, people play Fortnite due to convenience. I play a lot of "serious" games but I play Fortnite with friends who don't game anymore but they own a cell phone.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To people who take long plane trips daily, they likely don't have the opportunity to sit down and play Skyrim.

If you own a good laptop or a mobile phone you can play Fortnite on the plane, in the cab, in the hotel, people play Fortnite due to convenience. I play a lot of "serious" games but I play Fortnite with friends who don't game anymore but they own a cell phone.
I guess that's fair.

But the thing is, it's becoming an issue of players being addicted to it. They're sitting down and investing in it. If you're spending the time anyway, I think there's better options.

But that's just one gamer's opinion.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If it were a good game, that would be a different story.

You are welcome to your opinion, however, I believe it's a fantastic game. I don't care much for Battle Royale which the vast majority of people play, I'm not much of a PvP person. That said, I believe the original Fortnite (Save the World) is extremely innovative and there's nothing quite like it.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I guess that's fair.

But the thing is, it's becoming an issue of players being addicted to it. They're sitting down and investing in it. If you're spending the time anyway, I think there's better options.

But that's just one gamer's opinion.

Yeah, many players will become addicted to things like Fortnite but they just have addictive personalities and like all addictions, should be monitored carefully. These are just players who in the past would have become addicted to drugs, alcohol, girls or gambling. When you're in the hotel with the guys for a few hours before team dinner recovering from a 5 hour flight (which is every direction from home for the Canucks), 2 or 3 games as a squad doesn't sound too bad, especially when many preach team unity, it gives teammates another way to connect, especially as the style of game is inclusive to lots of different numbers of players and skill levels.

As for travel, the Canucks in particular have by far the worst travel schedule in the league and giving the players something to do while relaxing doesn't seem like the worst idea tbh. In 2011, the Canucks did more travel in the 2nd round than BOS did in their entire cup run. If the team plane has wifi, you can kill the daily 7 hour flight rather easily.

It's better for your nerves than sitting and staring at the wall before high pressure games.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, many players will become addicted to things like Fortnite but they just have addictive personalities and like all addictions, should be monitored carefully. These are just players who in the past would have become addicted to drugs, alcohol, girls or gambling. When you're in the hotel with the guys for a few hours before team dinner recovering from a 5 hour flight (which is every direction from home for the Canucks), 2 or 3 games as a squad doesn't sound too bad, especially when many preach team unity, it gives teammates another way to connect, especially as the style of game is inclusive to lots of different numbers of players and skill levels.

As for travel, the Canucks in particular have by far the worst travel schedule in the league and giving the players something to do while relaxing doesn't seem like the worst idea tbh. In 2011, the Canucks did more travel in the 2nd round than BOS did in their entire cup run. If the team plane has wifi, you can kill the daily 7 hour flight rather easily.

It's better for your nerves than sitting and staring at the wall before high pressure games.
I think gaming can be very healthy if managed properly.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
So your argument is that alcohol is less detrimental to performance than Forntite because alcohol shuts your body down after roughly 12 beers?

I think a player who literally played Fortnite for 24 hours straight is still a much more effective player than one who blacked out 24 hours ago from 12 beers.
You don't think staring at a bright, stimulating screen for 24 hours straight, combined with a lack of sleep, fries your brain? There are remedies for a hangover. The only way to recover from a video game overdose is sleep.

I'll take the hungover player any day.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And back in the day players stayed in their hotels smoking it up, getting plastered on liquor and gambled and brought over fly honies. The quiet ones called their families, ate whatever room service was offering, got extra sleep and probably put a show on to fall asleep to.

Athletes are naturally competitive to begin with. To find them playing a competitive shooter game is unsurprising and no different to how they've always been. If they had Fortnite in 1950 it would have been no different. The boys who loved hunting would've never put it down because it would be like hunting your buddy on a TV set.

They would've lost their minds because it's not like warfare wasn't a fresh subject at the time

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You don't think staring at a bright, stimulating screen for 24 hours straight, combined with a lack of sleep, fries your brain? There are remedies for a hangover. The only way to recover from a video game overdose is sleep.

I’ve done plenty of both. An alcohol overdose can literally kill a person.

On top of that, we’re not merely talking about a hungover player. We’re talking about a player whose body literally just shut off because he drank too much alcohol. You clone two hockey teams, force one of them to get blackout drunk, and another to play Fortnite all night, and the team who just played Fortnite all night will f***ing wreck the guys who got blackout drunk.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I just still cant wrap my head around professional athletes preferring to stay in their hotel rooms on road trips and playing video games. Completely absurd and embarrassing.
Honestly I'd rather play video games then drink(which i occasionally do), going out clubbing and partying are just a waste of time. Playing a few hours of fortnite is fine.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I was at an Oiler game back in 93.

We were routing the Flames 6-2. Mike Vernon was pulled.

We started chanting "WE WANT MIKE! WE WANT MIKE!"

Shortly after, we scored on the backup (Trevor Kidd?)

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I’ve done plenty of both. An alcohol overdose can literally kill a person.

On top of that, we’re not merely talking about a hungover player. We’re talking about a player whose body literally just shut off because he drank too much alcohol. You clone two hockey teams, force one of them to get blackout drunk, and another to play Fortnite all night, and the team who just played Fortnite all night will ****ing wreck the guys who got blackout drunk.
Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It was always 50/50 for me. Half the time I would wander around and explore new places and the other half I would hunker down in the hotel room and play video games and watch cartoons all day/night. When you have a physically exhausting or stressful job and you can't go home to your family, sometimes all you want to do is relax, decompress and clear your mind.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Video game overdose...? Really? also, who is playing video games for 24 hours straight? lol

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Video game overdose...? Really? also, who is playing video games for 24 hours straight? lol
Remember how people used to think (because they were told by doctors) that cigarettes were not only not harmful, but actually good for you?

I'm not the one who proposed the idea of someone playing video games for 24 hours straight. I was responding to someone who did.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Remember how people used to think (because they were told by doctors) that cigarettes were not only not harmful, but actually good for you?

I'm not the one who proposed the idea of someone playing video games for 24 hours straight. I was responding to someone who did.
What exact point are you trying to make here? I'm not saying that video games, in excess, are not bad for you. I'm saying that using the example of someone who played video games for 24 hours straight vs. someone who got blackout drunk is just a foolish and outlandish comparison. Saying that "Video Game Overdose" is actually WORSE than getting black-out drunk is just crazy.

NHL Players already go out and get blackout drunk, this is a thing that literally happens now. Even the most hardcore video gamers are not playing anywhere NEAR 24 hours straight. It's a comparison between a thing that already happens with relative regularity vs. something way extreme that would never happen.

Edit: I'm actually on board with more exposure for video game addiction, it's definitely a legitimate thing. It's actually been added to the DSM now as an impulse control disorder, similar to gambling. I just don't agree with the level of extremes that the two are being compared.

Last edited:

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I just still cant wrap my head around professional athletes preferring to stay in their hotel rooms on road trips and playing video games. Completely absurd and embarrassing.

I was in a Gamestop one time when this Cadillac Escalade pulled up to the curb (in the fire lane) and this huge black guy got out and came in the store. He picked up about 5 games, spoke to the clerk like he knew him, checked out and left. After he left, I asked the clerk "What was that all about?"

He told me he was one of the linemen for Tennessee Titans (I'm not a big NFL fan so I didn't recognize him) and he comes into the store about every 4 weeks and buys every new video game available. While NFL players work hard, their workouts and meetings often don't start until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. And when the season is not going, they often have weekends to themselves. Then you add on to that the fact many of those athletes can't really go hang out in public for fear of being recognized/bothered.

So a lot of professional athletes spend a lot of time at home when they're not practicing or working out. And a lot of them play video games to pass the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad