The Athletic - Boston ‘The kind of guy you build franchises around’: Inside Patrice Bergeron’s first 1,000 games

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Only 322 players have reached 1,000 career games in the NHL. Bergeron will become the 323rd (and only the fifth to play 1,000 for the Bruins, joining Ray Bourque, Johnny Bucyk, Don Sweeney and Wayne Cashman) on Feb. 5.

At the Winter Classic Pierre McGuire asked me who was the best Bruins player I had seen in my lifetime after Bobby Orr - I replied Patrice Bergeron and Regis smiled and said 'good answer'

What I will never forget is what happened in Chicago after Game 5 of the SCF in 2013. Patrice was rushed by ambulance to Northwestern Memorial Hospital which is at the same level as Mass General in being one of the best in the US. NMH wanted to admit him and it was only because of MGH doctors signing off on it that he flew back with the team. SOMEHOW he played Game 6 and then wound up being at MGH for several days.

‘The kind of guy you build franchises around’: Inside...

upload_2019-2-2_6-38-56.png

An almost career-ending injury
In the years following the lockout, Bergeron established himself as a strong Bruins regular, crossing the 70-point threshold in the 2005-06 and the 2006-07 seasons. But nearly as soon as he had made his name in the NHL, his entire career was in question after he suffered a severe concussion on Oct. 27, 2007, when he was hit by the Philadelphia Flyers’ Randy Jones. The injury cost Bergeron 72 games that season and he admitted it wasn’t until 2009 that he began to feel like himself on the ice.

GettyImages-77535467.jpg

upload_2019-2-2_6-44-48.png

upload_2019-2-2_6-46-33.png

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I think he made a comment a year or two ago that was along the line so of “honoring the current contract” - obviously, that can be over analyzed but just try to enjoy his time, boys and girls. The next 3.5 could fly by all too quickly. He’s more than earned the right to do what he wants but it’ll be a sad day when he retires.

And f*** Randy Jones

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I got in trouble on here for wishing injury on randy jones that day. Definitely fair lol. Good times good times

I’m so glad that didn’t end up being a career defining hit

Bergy is everything you could want in a hockey player. He’s got it all- skill, leadership, work ethic, and unparalleled toughness

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
That is quite the enjoyable article on Bergeron.

Bergeron to the Bruins is like Jean Beliveau was to the Canadiens: a great leader and teammate who handled himself with class and dignity on and off the ice and was beloved by all.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think he made a comment a year or two ago that was along the line so of “honoring the current contract” - obviously, that can be over analyzed but just try to enjoy his time, boys and girls. The next 3.5 could fly by all too quickly. He’s more than earned the right to do what he wants but it’ll be a sad day when he retires.

And **** Randy Jones

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
To me, Patrice has the same level of drive and commitment to his game that Chara does. Time and time again, he has played through things that would have kept almost any other guy out. He is extremely disciplined on the ice. And sure, he’s had not so great games. But can anyone recall a game where he wasn’t always bringing 100% effort??

There’s just nothing bad about his game. There’s not one attribute which makes him a star...I think it’s that he is above average in basically every attribute. Not to mention, he’s maybe the smartest player on the ice every single night.

I was 15 years old when he came into the league and admittedly didn’t appreciate his game fully until I was much older (and probably got a little wiser). More so than any other Bruins players I have ever watched, it is excessively strange to imagine this team without him. When he hasn’t been there before, there’s always been the question: “when is Bergy coming back?” Going to suck when it’s over for good.

One more thing: I just hate how Jack Edwards speaks. It always turns into some self absorbed epic. His response here is another great example.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
That is a great article. I didn't know lapointe was responsible for him getting 37 on his jersey.

His various coaches had some interesting quotes.

Babcock: "you can play him 20 minutes or 8 minutes, and he says the same thing if you play him both. Good man" (so why do you keep griping about his faceoffs, you jerk :mad: :laugh: )

Gordon: You look at those rosters from the Olympics, there were definitely guys that had more points then Bergy, but who’s the top guy at the end of the game? Who’s killing the penalties when the game is on the line? He can do all of it. Any coach that has him as a player, they don’t realize exactly how much they’re getting until they have him and then you realize you have more than just one player.

Bruce Cassidy: My first experience with him, personally, was the year I had the “Black Aces” (the minor-league players who travel with the team in the playoffs for depth). He was hurt a game and had to come down and schlep it with us guys before practice. I remember how hard he worked and how appreciative he was. He’s a true pro and just a real nice guy. Obviously, the day I got hired I talked with him and he said, “Look, I’m the player; you’re the coach and whatever you need I’m here to do.” He’s a true professional and I can’t say enough good things about him.”

I hope they show the ceremony on Center Ice Tuesday. Kind of neat that another 2011 teammate (Boychuk) will be there that night.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Love Looch.

We were there the day Randy Jones hit Bergy. It was the worst of any games I have been to (and I have been to quite a few) . It seemed like Bergy was lying on the ice for so long. Some fans were praying and crying. We were scared for the young Patrice . We wanted him to be able to play but more than that we feared for what that hit would do to his life. I am so happy all is well.

F the Flyers. Giroux always hacks at Patrice. He is a good player but will never be as good as Bergy. I remember Bergy got a concussion thanks to the stinking Flyers (Giroux) in 2011.

Bergy is such a gift for us. What a fine young man and player.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Great stuff. I agree that he's the best and most complete player on the Bs since Orr. There have been some players better than Bergy at certain things, but everything put together he has been the best. Younger fans frequently comment how they wish they had been around to watch Orr. There will be fans in the future who say the same thing about Bergeron. No normal or even advanced stats can truly capture his talent level and IQ. I very much hope the front office appreciates what it has in Bergeron and his line, and doesn't let things lapse without giving those guys another legit chance at a Cup. It has pissed away several too many years already of these guys in their prime. Time to stop pissing around or it will be too late for a coupe or several more runs.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
I still remember looking on in shock, disgust, comatose at Bergeron lying flat on the ice after his first major concussion. So many thoughts. This might be the end of what could have been an incredible career in the NHL. What do the Bruins do now? Really amazing that after those setbacks he still blossomed into the player that we know today.

Every time Patrice talks I always get the impression that he is so grateful to be able to play the game that he loves. You could see it written all over his face when he hoisted the Cup.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Love Looch.

We were there the day Randy Jones hit Bergy. It was the worst of any games I have been to (and I have been to quite a few) . It seemed like Bergy was lying on the ice for so long. Some fans were praying and crying. We were scared for the young Patrice . We wanted him to be able to play but more than that we feared for what that hit would do to his life. I am so happy all is well.

F the Flyers. Giroux always hacks at Patrice. He is a good player but will never be as good as Bergy. I remember Bergy got a concussion thanks to the stinking Flyers (Giroux) in 2011.

Bergy is such a gift for us. What a fine young man and player.

@Ladyfan One of the worst days I have worked on camera - I was afraid to zoom in because I didn't want to see and frankly neither did the truck. I had a similar game a decade earlier when I was doing BU hockey on Channel 68 and Travis Roy was injured.

@dafoomie I can find the Philly video of that hit but not NESN, do you have it?

When Bergie was hurt in Chicago the paramedics decided to bring him to Northwestern instead of the closer Rush Medical Center because of their observations.

The man is a warrior and has universal respect throughout the NHL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
@Ladyfan One of the worst days I have worked on camera - I was afraid to zoom in because I didn't want to see and frankly neither did the truck. I had a similar game a decade earlier when I was doing BU hockey on Channel 68 and Travis Roy was injured.

When Bergie was hurt in Chicago the paramedics decided to bring him to Northwestern instead of the closer Rush Medical Center because of their observations.

:thumbu:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I've never seen video of his press conference after the hit but I heard he looked awful, and that was what, two weeks later? What a miserable experience that had to be.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
It's funny that this article popped up today. Yesterday I was talking to someone at work about how Bergeron is the best all around player in the league and he laughed at me and said he sucks and that no one on the Bruins is the best at anything. Now he is a Stars fan so I can't fault him for being stupid. Since I started really paying attention to hockey Bergeron has been my favorite player and I always love watching him play. I remember one game that I was at when I lived down in Tampa they were getting there ass kicked and I was right next to the bench. I watched as Bergeron walked down the tunnel and broke his stick in half and started cussing because he was so pissed off at how they were playing. I love to watch that passion that normally we don't see on TV.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I still despise Jones to this day.

A couple of years after that hit Randy Jones was playing for another team (I can't remember which one) and he was standing in front of me (on the ice)..I yelled out that I remembered who he was and so did Bergy and then many around me were reminded and started yelling at him..

Randy Jones wasn't usually a dirty player and I do think he was sorry. I thought it was the fkn flyers way of playing.

matt cooke on the other hand was a totally dirty player who was lucky his hockey "career" didn't end with him leaving on a stretcher.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think a lot of it is the combination of the injuries and coaching, but he's had one of the most bizarre career trajectories.

- Enters the league as a relative unknown 18 year old and immediately ascends up the Bruins depth chart at a rapid pace to the point where they feel comfortable trading away Thornton to make Bergeron the focal point up front, and the focus of the Bruins offensive attack. He always had those defensive abilities and crazy hockey sense, but the expectation was always more of an offensive impact than a defensive impact.

- Concussion years where he works away at rebuilding his game, and clearly puts more focus on defense. Takes a back seat offensively with the signing of Savard and the unexpected emergence of Krejci.

- Right around 2010 and the Cup run he started to become the consistent and dominant all-around force that he'd remain for years and years. "One of the most underrated players in the league, amazing defensively and underrated offensively. He could put up more points but he's utilized defensively and puts all of his focus into that." Shows some flashes that he could be more than he currently is with some changes in his PP utilization and the focus on his one-timer. He's not so much a playmaker anymore, he's becoming more of a goal-scorer...

- Then right around the time when Julien was trying to save his ass (yes, even before Cassidy), and right around the time where he started to get over his most debilitating injury to play through since the 2013 Cup Finals, he starts getting used offensively much more with guys that are thinking offense more, the leash is off for all those D-zone starts, and he becomes more than a point per game player. All of this taking place in his early-to-mid 30s. People aren't supposed to all of a sudden round out and find a nice little niche as an elite offensive top-line player at this point, but that's exactly what he's doing, all while sacrificing nothing defensively (well, beside those sweet, sweet defensive zone starts).

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I think a lot of it is the combination of the injuries and coaching, but he's had one of the most bizarre career trajectories.

- Enters the league as a relative unknown 18 year old and immediately ascends up the Bruins depth chart at a rapid pace to the point where they feel comfortable trading away Thornton to make Bergeron the focal point up front, and the focus of the Bruins offensive attack. He always had those defensive abilities and crazy hockey sense, but the expectation was always more of an offensive impact than a defensive impact.

- Concussion years where he works away at rebuilding his game, and clearly puts more focus on defense. Takes a back seat offensively with the signing of Savard and the unexpected emergence of Krejci.

- Right around 2010 and the Cup run he started to become the consistent and dominant all-around force that he'd remain for years and years. "One of the most underrated players in the league, amazing defensively and underrated offensively. He could put up more points but he's utilized defensively and puts all of his focus into that." Shows some flashes that he could be more than he currently is with some changes in his PP utilization and the focus on his one-timer. He's not so much a playmaker anymore, he's becoming more of a goal-scorer...

- Then right around the time when Julien was trying to save his ass (yes, even before Cassidy), and right around the time where he started to get over his most debilitating injury to play through since the 2013 Cup Finals, he starts getting used offensively much more with guys that are thinking offense more, the leash is off for all those D-zone starts, and he becomes more than a point per game player. All of this taking place in his early-to-mid 30s. People aren't supposed to all of a sudden round out and find a nice little niche as an elite offensive top-line player at this point, but that's exactly what he's doing, all while sacrificing nothing defensively (well, beside those sweet, sweet defensive zone starts).

Nice post. It's too bad about the injuries this season, otherwise Bergeron would have put up 90 or 100 points.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad