Sportsnet: ‘Sometimes it’s tough love’: Bond among Leafs’ Kapanen, Keefe pays off

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is my favorite part of Chris Johnston's story.

The past with Keefe, warts and all, comes with benefits. A coach still adjusting to life in the NHL already knows what buttons to push. And he’s seen Kapanen quietly put together a productive stretch with nine points to show for his last 10 games.

“There’s a history there. There’s, I hope, some trust in it,” Keefe said. “But also you have information — you’re not filling as many gaps in terms of what a player’s been through and what their personality might be and what they might respond to.”

Reactions: weems

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It also goes the other way too. As Willie, Kap and others played under Keefe and understand Keefe’s ideas along with the way he communicates.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
__________ Engvall Kapanen

Kapanen a virtual lock as we need RHS top 9 forwards.

For that last top 9 spot next year...I vote Korshkov.

Candidates:
Korshkov Kerfoot Johnsson Bracco Petan Timashov Moore Spezza Gauthier Marchment Aberg Brooks Robertson

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
Our forward depth is fantastic. There is no way we can't use that depth to upgrade the D, it's only a matter time.

Hard to move Kapanen at this point though.

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007
I like Kapanen... he has all the tools.
The problem is, he tries that 'extra' play when teammates are in a commit zone of the ice.

I agree
I hope Keefe can take that out of his game.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
__________ Engvall Kapanen

Kapanen a virtual lock as we need RHS top 9 forwards.

For that last top 9 spot next year...I vote Korshkov.

Candidates:
Korshkov Kerfoot Johnsson Bracco Petan Timashov Moore Spezza Gauthier Marchment Aberg Brooks Robertson
Korshkov has to prove he can play at the NHL level first.
I would keep Kerfoot as the centre of the 3rd line
Engvall Kerfoot Kapanen
Maybe a 4th of
Korshkov Goat Moore/Timashov

Reactions: Hclass47

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Kappy has looked pretty good for a lot of this year. Rough start when he was tried out on the top two lines, but he's settled right in and is a great contributor on the third. When we talk about character on the team, Kappy is one of the first guys that I think of. He's guilty of having games where he looks invisible, but when the team has had lethargic stretches he's always looked like one of the guys who has the fire in him. He's one of our players who hate losing and he stands out in a good way when we're struggling. It's great when he's on the scoreboard, but I think he brings so much to this team in all facets of the game. Make no mistake, he's a depth piece, but he's arguably our best depth piece. Speed, versatility, competitive edge, and don't forget that he's got a knack for clutch goals. If we're building a team around speed and skill he's pretty much the perfect depth piece. Trading him would be a colossal mistake unless we get a slam-dunk of a return. We need more of his fire.

Reactions: chamchibap

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I like how he talks about his own physical game and how he hasn't been doing it as often as he should and that he plans to do more of it. I thought he led the charge that way in the Calgary game, actually his entire line did well that way.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Kapanen needs to be the most expensive third liner we have.

The rest of the roster needs to be min contracts with maybe 2M for our third line C.

If we go into next year with Kapanen (3.2M) Kerfoot (3.5M) Johnsson (3.4M) then that's a failure imo. That money needs to be spent on D.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He had a rough start to the season, but quickly turned it around, and has been excellent since. He’s a major difference maker on the 3rd line, opponents have so much trouble with his speed, and his hockey IQ has improved substantially, he’s been playing a pretty smart game with lots of heady plays.

Overall he’s been having a really good season IMO. He’s on pace for close to 50 points as a 3rd liner who’s not on the top PP, and who kills penalties and has quite a significant defensive role. That’s not easy to do!

Reactions: Leaffan1991

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Kappy has looked pretty good for a lot of this year. Rough start when he was tried out on the top two lines, but he's settled right in and is a great contributor on the third. When we talk about character on the team, Kappy is one of the first guys that I think of. He's guilty of having games where he looks invisible, but when the team has had lethargic stretches he's always looked like one of the guys who has the fire in him. He's one of our players who hate losing and he stands out in a good way when we're struggling. It's great when he's on the scoreboard, but I think he brings so much to this team in all facets of the game. Make no mistake, he's a depth piece, but he's arguably our best depth piece. Speed, versatility, competitive edge, and don't forget that he's got a knack for clutch goals. If we're building a team around speed and skill he's pretty much the perfect depth piece. Trading him would be a colossal mistake unless we get a slam-dunk of a return. We need more of his fire.
One thing I’ve noticed with kappy is that when our team is struggling he has the ability to take control of momentum. I feel like as soon as the other team tries to slow it down he’ll just come out flying up and down the ice and you want to build on that. I have no problem keeping him pencilled in on the 3rd line as long as we keep him away from the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad