Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Just read that according to Friedman, the Predators are actively shopping Filip Forsberg. Could he be someone we should pursue?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good list, I mostly agree.

If Jones continues to play the way he did in the Coyotes series, he can move from the maybes to the keepers.

Rowney is on IR and a 32 year old UFA after the season. He is a solid 4th liner, but I think the Ducks should move on.

Steel is probably still a maybe for me.

I like Steel a lot. But the last two games skating with Zegras really frustrated me. Z opened up space and time and he was wide open a couple of times and Steel was clueless. I was hoping Steel could develop into a 50 point 2C. Maybe thats asking too much. Ducks need a 1C or high end 2c badly, even if Zegras is going to be at center. So with that said maybe Steel is more of a maybe. I guess was a little harsh given the last two games.

As per Rowney, he has been very good and a 1 year contract really cannot hurt, he has earned it, sucks he got injured though.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I like Steel a lot. But the last two games skating with Zegras really frustrated me. Z opened up space and time and he was wide open a couple of times and Steel was clueless. I was hoping Steel could develop into a 50 point 2C. Maybe thats asking too much. Ducks need a 1C or high end 2c badly, even if Zegras is going to be at center. So with that said maybe Steel is more of a maybe. I guess was a little harsh given the last two games.

As per Rowney, he has been very good and a 1 year contract really cannot hurt, he has earned it, sucks he got injured though.
With some players, their vision/hockey sense can't keep up with their speed. I think with Steel it may be the opposite. I think he is a fairly creative and sharp player, but he just doesn't seem nearly fast or strong enough right now. Really has trouble winning battles.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I don't think Forsberg fits our window realistically. He's 26 now, on the second to last year of his contract that takes him straight into UFA. He'll be 27 next season, and after that he'll want a pretty big contract. He doesn't necessarily play a very taxing style, afaik, but he could still drop off after 30. We'd get a year, maybe two of being in the hunt with him, if even that.

Kind of insane to look at a 26-year-old and think he's old, but with our development trajectory it really could be the case.

Reactions: Doothpick
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't think Forsberg fits our window realistically. He's 26 now, on the second to last year of his contract that takes him straight into UFA. He'll be 27 next season, and after that he'll want a pretty big contract. He doesn't necessarily play a very taxing style, afaik, but he could still drop off after 30. We'd get a year, maybe two of being in the hunt with him, if even that.

Not only that, he's probably gonna go for a lot so it's questionable how much we'd be able to compete on an offer. Surely not enough given all you said.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With some players, their vision/hockey sense can't keep up with their speed. I think with Steel it may be the opposite. I think he is a fairly creative and sharp player, but he just doesn't seem nearly fast or strong enough right now. Really has trouble winning battles.

Steel is one of the few players who will carry the puck over the line, but yeah board battles are not good, but he is creative at least. Just trying to think what are the best compliment type of wingers he needs to be the most successful.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

I wouldn’t be against a one-year extension, but it’s not a priority for me with the organization having a lot of 4th line options.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Just read that according to Friedman, the Predators are actively shopping Filip Forsberg. Could he be someone we should pursue?

If it included an extension at a reasonable amount. (I think he is extension eligible after this season) Of course, if he is truly available we will get outbid like we were for PLD.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t be against a one-year extension, but it’s not a priority for me with the organization having a lot of 4th line options.

It’s really not. Right now the organization needs to be aggressive with adding a Top 6 scorer, preferably a 1C. Adding Zegras and Drysdale is just not going to be enough.

Reactions: Hey234

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
The Keepers:

Gibson, Lindholm, Getzlaf, Fowler, Zegras, Comtois,Rowney, and Drysdale

The Maybe Keepers: (Likely keep unless a really good return happens)

Hakanpaa, Rakell, Mahura,Terry, Milano, Jones, Deslauries

The GTFO....

Steel, Henrique, Silfverberg, Manson, Shattenkirk (Black hole of suckness), Heinen, Larsson, Grant(Very disappointing with this one)

Feel free to come up with your own. I know some may disagree.

Ive got the entire 4th line in the GTFO section, which is way too harsh (because I like them and I think they’re good hockey players) and not entirely their fault, but a team that’s having this much trouble scoring should be rolling four lines who can play in the OZone and should not be deploying a line exclusively for defensive zone faceoffs.

I still have Larsson in the maybe category; he was really good for a 10 game stretch prior to this rough patch, but it’s mostly because management either can’t or won’t find a replacement for him. They had Djoos who they waived, Mahura is probably going back to San Diego when Hampus/Manson come back, and they seem resistant to calling up someone like Benoit from SD for a look

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Ive got the entire 4th line in the GTFO section, which is way too harsh (because I like them and I think they’re good hockey players) and not entirely their fault, but a team that’s having this much trouble scoring should be rolling four lines who can play in the OZone and should not be deploying a line exclusively for defensive zone faceoffs.

That would be nice in theory. If we had 12 forwards who can create offense and a coach with a system that encourages creativity in the O zone.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Is the draft before or after Rakell can negotiate an extension? With this year's draft being seen as weak and more of a wild card because of the pandemic, I wonder if a team like Buffalo would deal their pick for an extended Rakell, which could give us a second shot at good player. Buffalo would get a top line winger to play with Eichel (assuming he's still there and wants to make playoffs), Ducks get a shot at a long term piece or a second first to trade up if they really like a player. This is depending on where they pick, but there should be some borderline team that would pay for Rakell with extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->