‘18-19 State of the Ducks Part II - Failed

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There are a number of teams that have completely optional morning skates now, it's not a revolutionary thing

Eakins might've been one of the first to publicly shun them and that was like five years ago. But yeah, since then a lot of coaches have done away with them or made them voluntary or whatever.

Weirdly it's probably the players themselves who have kept it alive more than anyone.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
So in the couple games that BM has interim-ly taken over head coaching, the Ducks already seem to be turning things around from how they were playing. More energy (no required morning skates), more heart (gave up on Carlyle?) and the players are starting to look like maybe they still have hockey in them. Key observations from me:
  • Two of our young kids should be solid players for the Ducks as soon as next year...Terry looks better and more comfortable. Jones is looking amazing. Relentless, high energy, good speed, good puck handling, goes to the net, etc.
  • Since he's been back, Perry is looking more and more like old good Perry. Going to the dirty areas again, making aggressive plays, etc. His one timer PP goal from a great Fowler pass was solid. Maybe he does have a couple more good years in him, especially after a summer of further rehabilitation.
  • Kesler actually looks like he has more energy and speed since coming back from IR. Not saying he's going to be Kesler of 2+ years past, but an improvement is an improvement.
  • Miller is good. We should maybe keep him around another year or two. I'm betting he'd be willing to sign a 1 year extension, and it won't be a huge risk for us. Good presence.
  • Rico is a solid player. No real weaknesses. Can fit anywhere, and seems to make those around him a bit better. Is he worth his new contract? Most will say it's too much. It might be okay, as long as we remain contenders.
  • Really don't want to lose Silf, but also don't want him being paid $5+. What is he worth to the organization? $4 for 4? He'll surely be looking for more.
  • I honestly like Shore. He's noticeably a bigger body than Cogs (who I still miss, okay?), and can muscle himself through things. Also seems to have pretty good vision. I'm okay with him.
  • Why would you bench Sprong? Bench Rakell before you bench Sprong. That guy needs a good benching to sort of put a little something in his fight.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
One thing to note with Kesler is that Giroux took almost two years to recovery from the same surgery. He was obviously at a much higher level pre surgery and was younger so the drop off wasnt as noticable (although it was still fairly significant) but for that reason I’m not willing to write off Kesler bouncing back to a decent third liner again. Obviously the days off 50+ points and Selke nominations are done though.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Perry has a goal and 2 assists in 8 games. Our standards for forwards sometimes are *really* low.

Perry is returning from major surgery, and had to jump in mid-season while every other player is at full stride, and without the benefit of a training camp.

The standards aren’t really low. Even if he had been ready by the start of training camp, you should expect him to need time to get his feet under him and really feel 100%, and he’s being asked to do it mid-NHL season on a team that has been atrocious, with a coach who has been atrocious. Maybe you just aren’t looking at the entirety of the picture here.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
One thing to note with Kesler is that Giroux took almost two years to recovery from the same surgery. He was obviously at a much higher level pre surgery and was younger so the drop off wasnt as noticable (although it was still fairly significant) but for that reason I’m not willing to write off Kesler bouncing back to a decent third liner again. Obviously the days off 50+ points and Selke nominations are done though.
Kesler is done

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He has 1 less point than Comtois and has been playing powerplay basically all season. He's done stick a fork in him, if you wanna bet on a point total next season or whenever you think he will be healthy let me know.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Perry is returning from major surgery, and had to jump in mid-season while every other player is at full stride, and without the benefit of a training camp.

The standards aren’t really low. Even if he had been ready by the start of training camp, you should expect him to need time to get his feet under him and really feel 100%, and he’s being asked to do it mid-NHL season on a team that has been atrocious, with a coach who has been atrocious. Maybe you just aren’t looking at the entirety of the picture here.

Maybe. Or maybe fans just make excuses for guys.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'd like to see Miller back next year but.....

Gibson's pay goes up next year from $2.3 to $6.4. Miller has been at $2.0. I'm not so sure Bob is willing to spend $8.4 in goal next year if he sees it as a development year. I'd bet Miller would be willing to sign for one year but not so sure how much of a pay cut he would be willing to take (if any), especially given how good he has been. OTOH, Boyle is under contract for $675K next year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If the Kings move Quick, they might be able provide Miller an even better financial opportunity and living situation than the Ducks.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'd like to see Miller back next year but.....

Gibson's pay goes up next year from $2.3 to $6.4. Miller has been at $2.0. I'm not so sure Bob is willing to spend $8.4 in goal next year if he sees it as a development year. I'd bet Miller would be willing to sign for one year but not so sure how much of a pay cut he would be willing to take (if any), especially given how good he has been. OTOH, Boyle is under contract for $675K next year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If the Kings move Quick, they might be able provide Miller an even better financial opportunity and living situation than the Ducks.
I'd bet on Boyle idk why but my money is on him or someone else being signed.
Miller turns 39 this year.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
So in the couple games that BM has interim-ly taken over head coaching, the Ducks already seem to be turning things around from how they were playing. More energy (no required morning skates), more heart (gave up on Carlyle?) and the players are starting to look like maybe they still have hockey in them. Key observations from me:
  • Two of our young kids should be solid players for the Ducks as soon as next year...Terry looks better and more comfortable. Jones is looking amazing. Relentless, high energy, good speed, good puck handling, goes to the net, etc.
  • Since he's been back, Perry is looking more and more like old good Perry. Going to the dirty areas again, making aggressive plays, etc. His one timer PP goal from a great Fowler pass was solid. Maybe he does have a couple more good years in him, especially after a summer of further rehabilitation.
  • Kesler actually looks like he has more energy and speed since coming back from IR. Not saying he's going to be Kesler of 2+ years past, but an improvement is an improvement.
  • Miller is good. We should maybe keep him around another year or two. I'm betting he'd be willing to sign a 1 year extension, and it won't be a huge risk for us. Good presence.
  • Rico is a solid player. No real weaknesses. Can fit anywhere, and seems to make those around him a bit better. Is he worth his new contract? Most will say it's too much. It might be okay, as long as we remain contenders.
  • Really don't want to lose Silf, but also don't want him being paid $5+. What is he worth to the organization? $4 for 4? He'll surely be looking for more.
  • I honestly like Shore. He's noticeably a bigger body than Cogs (who I still miss, okay?), and can muscle himself through things. Also seems to have pretty good vision. I'm okay with him.
  • Why would you bench Sprong? Bench Rakell before you bench Sprong. That guy needs a good benching to sort of put a little something in his fight.

would love to see this for a game. he can be so much more electric than he has been showing

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Oct 18, 2011
There is no doubt in my mind RCs archaic and moronic morning skates contributed to the constant lack of energy. Many teams just don't do them beyond an optional basis.

Imagine you're a player, each day you probably have a finite amount of energy and you're having to waste some early in the day when you could be resting, and you're facing opponents who have been getting the rest and recovery time you didn't get...

Yes you're a great athlete but you're facing other great athletes

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
would love to see this for a game. he can be so much more electric than he has been showing
I think Rakell is the one Murray singled out in some of his comments weeks ago. At times Rakell seems like he's give 75% effort while Sprong is giving 110% effort.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There is no doubt in my mind RCs archaic and moronic morning skates contributed to the constant lack of energy. Many teams just don't do them beyond an optional basis.

Imagine you're a player, each day you probably have a finite amount of energy and you're having to waste some early in the day when you could be resting, and you're facing opponents who have been getting the rest and recovery time you didn't get...

Yes you're a great athlete but you're facing other great athletes

Lol most teams still do them, I think. It's also often the players who want them more than the coaches.

Oct 18, 2011
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
As more hockey teams give morning skates the cold shoulder, Kings and Ducks hang onto game-day practice

As of two years ago 1/3 of the league stopped doing them. There is data in the article that shows rest improves athletic performance. This is only going to increase as the old boys club of coaches and GMs in the NHL dwindles

Lol I never defended the practice, just your characterizations that it's a major factor or that the Ducks were the only team who did them. I dont care much either way and see the validity of both sides, but you don't need to sensationalize it like always.

It's also funny you think it's a new school/old school issue when noted new age thinker John Tortorella was the first to scrap them. Like I said, its probably more on the players for why they're still around and that's why not that many teams have actually scrapped them, they've just made it optional. There's also zero data on this, so it's not an analytics thing, either.

Oct 18, 2011
Lol I never defended the practice, just your characterizations that it's a major factor or that the Ducks were the only team who did them. I dont care much either way and see the validity of both sides, but you don't need to sensationalize it like always.

It's also funny you think it's a new school/old school issue when noted new age thinker John Tortorella was the first to scrap them. Like I said, its probably more on the players for why they're still around and that's why not that many teams have actually scrapped them, they've just made it optional. There's also zero data on this, so it's not an analytics thing, either.
Peter Laviolette did this way before Torts did.

It's just not surprising a team seems to have more energy by doing away with morning skates. The science shows athletic performance improves with more rest

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Peter Laviolette did this way before Torts did.

It's just not surprising a team seems to have more energy by doing away with morning skates. The science shows athletic performance improves with more rest

He absolutely did not. The article you linked even said Torts was the trailblazer, and apparently has been something he's believed dating back to New York. I don't even think Lavi has gotten rid of them. Very funny that this matters to you, though.

It's not surprising that a team who recently fired its coach and recently ended a losing streak and recently got its confidence back has more energy. Players gets tons of rest even with a morning skate, it's very hard to see a light skate in the morning having much impact, especially when its been a part of their routines for many years. I can't see it helping everybody either but we can pump the brakes on it's importance.

Oct 18, 2011
He absolutely did not. The article you linked even said Torts was the trailblazer, and apparently has been something he's believed dating back to New York. I don't even think Lavi has gotten rid of them. Very funny that this matters to you, though.

It's not surprising that a team who recently fired its coach and recently ended a losing streak and recently got its confidence back has more energy. Players gets tons of rest even with a morning skate, it's very hard to see a light skate in the morning having much impact, especially when its been a part of their routines for many years. I can't see it helping everybody either but we can pump the brakes on it's importance.
SanFilippo: Flyers' Laviolette taking a page from Freddy

Laviolette was doing this the year the Hurricanes won the cup

You're injecting alot of opinion and personal belief. The first article I referenced has sports science professionals saying more rest leads to improved athletic performance

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
SanFilippo: Flyers' Laviolette taking a page from Freddy

Laviolette was doing this the year the Hurricanes won the cup

You're injecting alot of opinion and personal belief. The first article I referenced has sports science professionals saying more rest leads to improved athletic performance

So he didn't do away with them at all(especially since he still does them), but midseason he some years made them non-mandatory. Sorry man he's not the trailblazer you thought he was, it is weird that you're fighting so hard to deem this new school thinking though lol.

Also it really isn't. You don't need to go to the scientists to know more rest is better, but like I said, theres been no actual data about morning skates. It's also questionable how much rest you're gaining. It'll be more than zero but almost all coaches will still want players to come in so you're not gaining much, if anything, in terms of sleep, it's almost entirely about the light skate, which doesn't burn much.

If we want to talk about opinion and personal beliefs, you latching onto this trend because you think it's new school and believing it has a major impact based on zero evidence certainly counts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->