‘18-19 State of the Ducks Part II - Failed

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
No morning skates? It sounds like Bob is just telling the guys to go out there and do whatever they want to at this point.

I have a feeling this might have more to do with a 70 year old man maybe not being up to skating around every morning.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
I have a feeling this might have more to do with a 70 year old man maybe not being up to skating around every morning.

Hahaha, that was my first thought. Looks like Bob doesn't want to get up early in the morning.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Updated State of the Ducks (HCBM Edition):

One more day until the 1st game with BM behind the bench.

Injuries:
  • RW Eaves (everything hurts) is amazingly (not amazingly) back on IR. Not LTIR as far as I know. Was supposed to be flu-like symptoms, but now not sure.
  • G Gibson listed as day-to-day. Not showing as on IR.
  • RW Kase (torn labrum), 5 month recovery after surgery, out for the year.
  • G Miller (knee) on injured reserve. Went through full practice today, possible he starts tomorrow.
Overall, we're fairly healthy, but as always, with a couple of key injuries (Gibby, Kase). Perry is back in the swing of things, and starting to look a bit like Perry. Little steps.

General Roster:
  • Center: Getzlaf, Henrique, Grant, Kesler
  • LW: Rakell, Ritchie, Shore, Gibbons
  • RW: Perry, Silfverberg, Sprong, Rowney, Cracknell*
  • LD: Lindholm, Fowler, Del Zotto, Megna
  • RD: Manson, Montour, Welinski
  • G: Miller*, Johnson, Boyle
Potential Trade Deadline Bait (my take):
  • Silfverberg: medium-high probability. Unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Now basically "middle-aged" for an NHLer, though playoff-tested performer. Likely to command a decent salary and term (guessing $4-5.5M for 4+ years). BM working on extension, but also considering trade options, as he may command a decent return.
  • Fowler: low probability. BM has always taken a liking to Fowler, and probably concluded he's not the main issue. Signed him to long term extension at arguably market value, with M-NTC.
  • Henrique: medium-low probability. With Kesler on sharp decline, and Steel and other AHLers technically untested, it's likely he's a needed piece for the immediate future.
  • Grant: medium probability. Low cost, unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
  • Montour: medium-low probability. I have a feeling BM is considering offers. Not sure what the return would be. Shouldn't trade, though, as his performance this year isn't his potential.
  • Unlikely in my eyes to be traded: Getz, Perry, Kes, Rakell, Ritchie, Lindholm, Manson, Terry, Steel, Jones.
  • Others I have no clue about: Shore, Sprong, any of the unmentioned AHLers.
Summary of the State: HC Carlyle was finally "released" (but now in some other unannounced service to the organization ), and GMBM is now GMHCBM likely for the remainder of the season.

As everyone probably knows, he's stated the only way to get a true feel of the quality of his players is to be in the trenches with them. He needs to evaluate their mental fight/drive, their leadership (leadergrit?), and basically evaluate their value to the core of the team going forward.

With no prior head coaching experience, this is going to be very interesting to watch. We'll see if he's trying to get people to play differently (crash the net more & carry the puck in, please), and if he favors some players over others (keep Kes on the 4th line for now, thanks). We'll watch to see how the players react, and if they start showing more heart. We'll also likely get more direct feedback from him, since he'll be much more exposed to the media.

The fans of the franchise are generally still hoping for a continued tank so we can get a high draft pick, but with the wild card race still sort of in the air (Ducks are 8 points back of the final wild card spot), not sure which way BM wants to go. Will he play Miller or go with Swiss Cheese Johnson? Will he ride Kesler and his old hips into the ground? Will he give a legitimate shot to Sprong on the top PP unit? We know he wants to leave the AHL Gulls intact as much as possible (both players and coach Eakins), to allow them to push for the playoffs and have their own success and development. Eakins is among the front runners for the Ducks HC job after the season is over.

The remainder of the season is likely to be both boring and exciting at the same time. We'll see if that causes our heads to explode!

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Him too, a few months ago i was surprised to read he's an american, i always thought he was a Canadian Duck. Guy Herbert & Peter Laviolette the most Quebecer sounding Americans.
Guy has told the story that because he played hockey growing up in NY people started pronouncing his names like he was French Canadian even though he was't. He rolled with it.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Guy has told the story that because he played hockey growing up in NY people started pronouncing his names like he was French Canadian even though he was't. He rolled with it.
Yep. His name is not pronounced French at all, or at least it wasn’t supposed to be. It’s just guy like a guy/gal and HE-BURT.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Just because I don't know where else to cry about this: who the f*** does the scheduling? I'm having withdrawal symptoms from Ducks hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad