Рopularity of hockey in Germany

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
so then a Q:"why did Germany need this WC?"

Because with a population of 80,000,000 people, it is a great chance to promote the game to many different people who normally wouldn't watch hockey. This is great for hockey in general. Germany has the potential to be a hockey power because of their population and location. The IIHF is in charge of promoting hockey to the world, so why wouldn't they take advantage of this opportunity? Why have the WC in a country like Finland for example, when you could bring it to a relatively untapped market that has over 80 million people?

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I know this thread is old but after seeing the U.S./Germany world cup game yesterday I was wondering how big is ice hockey in Germany?

I have read in several links that it is the 2nd biggest sport but far behind soccer. Is that what you guys think?

Any major hockey events coming either in Germany or for the German national team?

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I know as a whole, baseball is far behind in support but MLB is really starting to scout the area. Heard a radio interview a few months ago with Paul Beeston of the Blue Jays who thinks scouting In Germany for baseball players will become big,

From the outside looking in, and having talked to German exchange students back in high school, it feels like hockey gets lumped in with basketball and handball, and all those sports are well behind football.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I know this thread is old but after seeing the U.S./Germany world cup game yesterday I was wondering how big is ice hockey in Germany?

I have read in several links that it is the 2nd biggest sport but far behind soccer. Is that what you guys think?

Any major hockey events coming either in Germany or for the German national team?

Depends on the region, in Bavaria you may have towns where hockey is "the thing". And who knows... maybe Draisatl will create a hockey boom in Germany.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I know as a whole, baseball is far behind in support but MLB is really starting to scout the area. Heard a radio interview a few months ago with Paul Beeston of the Blue Jays who thinks scouting In Germany for baseball players will become big,

From the outside looking in, and having talked to German exchange students back in high school, it feels like hockey gets lumped in with basketball and handball, and all those sports are well behind football.
How did baseball even make it into the discussion here? It's a niche sport and not even close to generating the same amount of general interest as basketball, handball and hockey in Germany.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
How did baseball even make it into the discussion here? It's a niche sport and not even close to generating the same amount of general interest as basketball, handball and hockey in Germany.

That's what I'm thinking! Baseball even puts me to sleep and I'm an American!

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg

It was about sports and differing popularities in Germany, any sport where even a couple of Germans have earned a good 6figure amount from a sport should be in the discussion. I didn't say it was comparable though, only about 30,000 registered players in Germany.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
I'm Toronto raised but have lived in Belfast for a decade & recently attended a game in Berlin.

Have to say was very impress by the crowd who turned out for the match I saw against Mannheim.

Fans were well into it & there was close to 20,000 in their new O2 arena there & it was LOUD!

Pretty sure Simmonds & Giroux played there in the lockout too!

Impressive.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Nice story about Berlin hockey Belfast!

I heard a hockey analyst recently say hockey has a come a long way in Germany and that's one of the reasons I started this thread.

member 305909

A question of numbers really. In a big country like Germany even a sport which doesn't have a nationwide following there are still hundreds of thousands watching.

Similarly in the USA soccer will never make it to the top 3 sports but yet it has tens of millions of people watching.

In a country like Finland if you take a sport which is not that much followed you may have matches where there are more players than spectators.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
in team sports, it could be as follows:

Football
Handball
Basketball
Ice Hockey

I'm still wondering how that 78'000 were sold out in this short time.
It's a football stadium. Now look back at your list. Probably a lot of fottball fans just interested in a different show in their stadium.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I've often wondered just how popular American football actually was/is in Germany. I saw some of those NFL Europa games on TV and the fans looked pretty into it.
It is pushed by the media real hard lately. As a casual fan, I would stay away from it just for the fact that it being shoved down my throat too much. Visiting Germany recently I was surprised how it is promoted by the media. Nothing against it, but it's not even a european sport and rugby is much more true and appealing.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A question of numbers really. In a big country like Germany even a sport which doesn't have a nationwide following there are still hundreds of thousands watching.

Similarly in the USA soccer will never make it to the top 3 sports but yet it has tens of millions of people watching.

In a country like Finland if you take a sport which is not that much followed you may have matches where there are more players than spectators.
Football in the US is carried a lot by the Latinos crowd I'd guesx as it is a no.1 sport in everywhere south of the US-Mexico border. There is nothing like that in Germany.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm surprised Basketball is more popular in Germany than Hockey. The only good german that played the game in the NBA is Dirk and the rest have been D-league & G-league players or bench role players.
While the in NHL there has been Draisaitl, Grubauer, Greiss, Seidenberg, Kolzig, Sturm, Erhoff, Goc, Rieder, Schubert, Holzer.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Football in the US is carried a lot by the Latinos crowd I'd guesx as it is a no.1 sport in everywhere south of the US-Mexico border. There is nothing like that in Germany.
and among Latinos most would watch Mexican Leagues or UK's Premier League before watching American MLS league.
MLS is just a league for players who 95% of them aren't good enough to play in europe/brazil or where old washed up players go to retire & collect paychecks playing in usa.
A number of the best MLS players are loaned to play in the big leagues in Europe, Landon Donovan was an example of this.

The other problem is MLS often has teams folding and being erased.......Chivas USA for example.

Reactions: Lambo

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I'm surprised Basketball is more popular in Germany than Hockey. The only good german that played the game in the NBA is Dirk and the rest have been D-league & G-league players or bench role players.
While the in NHL there has been Draisaitl, Grubauer, Greiss, Seidenberg, Kolzig, Sturm, Erhoff, Goc, Rieder, Schubert, Holzer.

If you include guys like Rieder, Schubert and Holzer, you also should include Schröder, Kleber and Theis on the Basketball side. And of course going back in history you forgot about Detlef Schrempf. You may even look at Chris Welp and Uwe Blab, although they were not that successful in the NBA.

And the impact of quality players, even star or superstar players in a league abroad that gets even less coverage than our domestic leagues, is severly overestimated.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Okay Germany had Nowitzki and Schrempf and now Schröder. Okay this is not much but Basektball has in Europe more widepread. Euroleague, Eurocup and EC for national teams.This kind of tournaments are not exist in hockey.
Basketball is not only NBA.

member 305909

Basketball is a global sport. It's not totally irrelevant and unpopular anywhere in the world.

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
Hockey is kind of a niche sport here, those who are fans are very passionate and the big teams have a bigger attendance than all the other sports like handball and basketball but apart from these very passionate fans it doesn't even register unlike other sports.
Firefox_Screenshot_2019-12-28T00-43-25.783Z.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->