GDT: Питсбърг Пенгуинс срещу Каролина Хърикейнс (BG version)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Wasn't trying to bash Ferland. I do think he is a little less noticeable when the whole team is going balls to the wall like they did last night. I still think he should be on the Aho line though.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Wallmark had a lot of good chances set up by other players last night. I don't know how many were setup by Ferland/TT, but they probably were involved in at least a couple.
Svech set him up with an amazing pass that he couldn’t quite handle. I really think an upgrade on Wallmark could help in the final push to get to the playoffs. I’m okay with giving up assets for one as long as the incoming player is an RFA.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I can't help but think Rod should explore the idea of TT at center for now. I know he has not played a ton of center, but when he did he didn't look half bad. It's not like Wallmark gives you anything he wouldn't, except maybe faceoffs. Martinook is better on the wing anyway.

Willy-Aho-Nino
Ferland-TT-McGinn
Svech-Wally-Martinook
Foegele-McKegg-Saku

Also wouldn't hate seeing what Maenalanen could do a little further up in the lineup.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Wasn't trying to bash Ferland. I do think he is a little less noticeable when the whole team is going balls to the wall like they did last night. I still think he should be on the Aho line though.

Well, that's the problem, no? Everybody looks better with Aho, but he can only have two linemates unless you want to double-shift him, or clone him.

Ferland-Aho-TT .... great line
Ferland-Wallmark-TT ... eh

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams ... great line
Niederreiter-Wallmark-Williams ... eh

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well, that's the problem, no? Everybody looks better with Aho, but he can only have two linemates unless you want to double-shift him, or clone him.

Ferland-Aho-TT .... great line
Ferland-Wallmark-TT ... eh

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams ... great line
Niederreiter-Wallmark-Williams ... eh
I wonder what Brassard would cost as a rental from Florida? One of our seconds? He'd be an upgrade for 2c I'd think.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I wonder what Brassard would cost as a rental from Florida? One of our seconds? He'd be an upgrade for 2c I'd think.

Yeah, again, I just don't think that's the kind of guy our management is looking for. It may not be a horrible idea as a fan, but it seems pretty obvious to me that we're looking for somebody with years left, even if it means getting a little less talent. Think "change of scenery" vs. "more talented."

I wonder if the ship has sailed on Necas coming up this season.

I hope that if he stays there, it's because he needs the minutes. Not because we're trying to avoid him being subject to an expansion draft that's over two years away. If nothing else, I'd love to see him in McGinn's spot with Svech and Martinook.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I think he definitely needs the minutes, he's not blowing away the AHL by any stretch. As far as our wingers with Aho vs without goes, that's why I want us to go hard after a true 2C and try to move Staal if possible. If you have someone like Schenn, Zabinejad, Duchene behind Aho, Wallmark and McKegg/Bishop is more than enough at 3C and 4C.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think he definitely needs the minutes, he's not blowing away the AHL by any stretch.

I've seen this comment a handful of times, and I get it. The stats look pedestrian. But Necas wasn't sent to the AHL because he wasn't getting points. He was sent down to work on his play away from the puck. From all accounts, he took the message to heart and has worked on what they wanted him to work on. The biggest thing for coaches isn't production, it's to know a player can be trusted not to give up a goal every time he's on the ice. It's why Foegele hasn't gone down despite his offensive struggles. He may not be scoring, but he's not giving anything up, either. Coaches can live with that. They can't live with the opposite.

And also, while we're here, Necas's numbers in the AHL for a just-turned-20-in-January-year-old are pretty darn good. Scoring at a 0.7 ppg pace in the AHL is nothing to sneeze at. For comparison, Filip Zadina and Necas have both played 40 games, Zadina has 11g, 12a, 23pts, minus-14, while Necas has 9g, 19a, 28pts, plus-13.

If we don't get a center by the deadline, I hope we get another look at Necas before the season is over.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I've seen this comment a handful of times, and I get it. The stats look pedestrian. But Necas wasn't sent to the AHL because he wasn't getting points. He was sent down to work on his play away from the puck. From all accounts, he took the message to heart and has worked on what they wanted him to work on. The biggest thing for coaches isn't production, it's to know a player can be trusted not to give up a goal every time he's on the ice. It's why Foegele hasn't gone down despite his offensive struggles. He may not be scoring, but he's not giving anything up, either. Coaches can live with that. They can't live with the opposite.

And also, while we're here, Necas's numbers in the AHL for a just-turned-20-in-January-year-old are pretty darn good. Scoring at a 0.7 ppg pace in the AHL is nothing to sneeze at. For comparison, Filip Zadina and Necas have both played 40 games, Zadina has 11g, 12a, 23pts, minus-14, while Necas has 9g, 19a, 28pts, plus-13.

If we don't get a center by the deadline, I hope we get another look at Necas before the season is over.

Sure I get the coaches trust thing, but Foegele isn't playing 2C. The Canes badly need more scoring if they want to contend, let alone just make the playoffs. They need someone other than Aho who can drive a line, make their wingers better, and put up points. Being better away from the puck isn't nearly enough for the role it looks like the Canes are gonna need him in next year if they want to avoid another wasted season. I think he's made good progress this year, but I still in no form want to pin next seasons hopes on him. Or Wallmark for that matter.

Hopefully this doesn't look like a shot at you, because I think we're largely in agreement about wanting to add someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad