Speculation: Zuccarello to Buffalo

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Well lets see.

Drafted Eichel so that's 1, drafted Risto so that's 2, and I"ll give you reinhart even though I don't think he's met expectation given where he was picked but we will make him 3.

Ahem Now

Traded for ROR
Traded for Evander Kane, then traded him.
Traded a 1st for Robin Lehner, Bosser went 2 picks later.
Traded for Marco Scandella
Signed Kyle Okposo
Traded for Jason Pomminville
Traded for Zach Bogosian
Traded for Matt Moulson then dealt him then gave him 5X5 as a UFAnow he's in the AHL.

do you see a pattern? they have spent all the money and failed, they have tried the quick fix over and over

They have mostly ignored drafting and development
I wouldn't categorize some of those moves as ignoring drafting and development. Signing vets like Okposo and Moulson helped the young kids in the system develop down in Rochester, even if in hindsight they were poor signings (I don't think Okposo is quite as bad as some do) Neither of these signings cost the Sabres anything as far as draft capital or prospects are concerned. The Scandella trade was acquiring a top 4 defenseman for a whole bunch of nothing from our end, Pominville was a required piece coming with Scandella for cap relief. I make that trade 10 out of 10 times. The O'Reilly trade was for a 24 year old top line center whom they then quickly locked up long-term, so while he may have cost significant futures to acquire, he's a very good young player that the team could build around long-term. Again I make that trade 10 out of 10 times.
The biggest gaffes were the Lehner trade (absolutely brutal to trade a 1st in a deep, talent laden draft for an ok young goalie) and the Bogosian, Kane, Myers deal, which saw us get the best player in the deal in Kane, but sacrifice a ton of futures (mainly Armia and that 1st round pick) only to turn around and then trade Kane for a lesser package of futures. All those picks and prospects would have certainly been a big shot in the arm for this organization, however some misses in the draft (Nylander over Sergachev, Chychrun, McAvoy) being the biggest one; combined with an inability to hit on guys in the later rounds has played just as big of a role.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't categorize some of those moves as ignoring drafting and development. Signing vets like Okposo and Moulson helped the young kids in the system develop down in Rochester, even if in hindsight they were poor signings (I don't think Okposo is quite as bad as some do) Neither of these signings cost the Sabres anything as far as draft capital or prospects are concerned. The Scandella trade was acquiring a top 4 defenseman for a whole bunch of nothing from our end, Pominville was a required piece coming with Scandella for cap relief. I make that trade 10 out of 10 times. The O'Reilly trade was for a 24 year old top line center whom they then quickly locked up long-term, so while he may have cost significant futures to acquire, he's a very good young player that the team could build around long-term. Again I make that trade 10 out of 10 times.
The biggest gaffes were the Lehner trade (absolutely brutal to trade a 1st in a deep, talent laden draft for an ok young goalie) and the Bogosian, Kane, Myers deal, which saw us get the best player in the deal in Kane, but sacrifice a ton of futures (mainly Armia and that 1st round pick) only to turn around and then trade Kane for a lesser package of futures. All those picks and prospects would have certainly been a big shot in the arm for this organization, however some misses in the draft (Nylander over Sergachev, Chychrun, McAvoy) being the biggest one; combined with an inability to hit on guys in the later rounds has played just as big of a role.

Point is it doesn't work we saw it in Toronto with both Burke and Nonis

Kessel
Dion
Lupul Although that gets a pass because Gardiner came in that trade
Versteeg
Gigurre
Bolland
Conolly

It doesn't work you HAVE to draft and develop

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Point is it doesn't work we saw it in Toronto with both Burke and Nonis

Kessel
Dion
Lupul Although that gets a pass because Gardiner came in that trade
Versteeg
Gigurre
Bolland
Conolly

It doesn't work you HAVE to draft and develop
Point is it wasn't just ignoring drafting and developing that got the Sabres here. Their drafting has largely been awful outside of the easy slam dunk picks. They've drafted and attempted to develop a lot of players, and it hasn't yielded great results. If this team hits on some 2nd, or 3rd rounders over the last decade they are likely a much different team. Cornell, Karabacek, Johannson, Hurley, Kea, Catenacci, Leduc, Sundher. Not a single guy out of that group has or looks to amount to anything. The Sabres aren't ignoring drafting and developing they have just been god awful at it.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You might get that from a team that expects those picks to be 50-60 overall and 20-30 overall. I'd be less surprised if my cat started speaking English than if Buffalo made a trade like that.
If you say so

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Zuccarello makes more sense to a team that needs a top 6 winger and will be competing next year.

Teams that could probably use him: Edmonton, Chicago, Calgary (if they rebound)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Yes next summer as in a year away so in fact he is cost controlled for another year, and he has a bargain contract .

This is quite a stretch on what everyone else means when they say cost controlled.

Regardless NyR and Buf make little sense as trade partners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->