Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello Re-Signs (1 year/3.5 AAV)

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Honestly, I'm not worried about Zucc, if he has another good season, the Rangers pay him, at worst what do we have to do to make it work? trade Klein's 3M would pretty much give us the space to keep Zucc, Stepan, Hagelin all with raises and MSL at the same hit (or maybe even less?) as long as the cap rises as expected.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's pretty much what should have been suspected, he wanted more for his UFA years than the Rangers were willing to pay.

He was not going to get a larger arbitration award than the contract the Rangers ended up giving him for his last RFA year due to his limited amount of NHL games played. Finding comparable players with comparable NHL games played who have a larger contract for their last RFA year is near impossible as by that time most players have already played far more games.

The only alternates were to work out a one year deal and see where it goes from there without the animosity of an arbitration hearing, or have the Rangers pay more than they wanted, or have Zucc settle and sell his years for less than he thinks they will be worth.

Apparently no compromise could be found. No real reason to be upset with it. If he proves to be a key player going forward, one the Ranger feel they must retain, the Rangers will have to pay more towards his terms, if otherwise, Zucc will have to lower his demands if he wants to stay.

Business as usual.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Well this just adds fuel to both sides of the argument.

Those quotes arent exact:

"- Jeg skulle ta en langtidskontrakt, hvis det var etter premissene jeg og de ville ha. Men det passet ikke helt nå. og da passer det best med ett år i stedet, sier Zuccarello til VG."

"I was going to take a long-term contract, if it was after the terms both me and the team wanted. But its not a good fit right now, and thus its a better fit with a one year deal instead".

"- Jeg føler jeg har bevist det jeg kan, men det gjelder å opprettholde og fortsette på samme nivå. Klarer jeg det, er det bra, forteller han. "

"I feel I've proven what I can do, but its about consistency and keeping up at the same level. If I can do that, that's good".

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
They had him take a one year to fit in right now, then will give him a nice raise next year. He'll stay because he likes being a Ranger. It's a gentleman's agreement IMO.

I love the player. I like your team. However, there are just no gentlemen agreements in business. He could have a poop year and he isn't getting a raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad