Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello Re-Signs (1 year/3.5 AAV)

KenGuru

Sep 14, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Under Tortorella he was not so fit with the system. But AV style of play makes Zucc are more creative and petter player. I dont think he will leave NYR under AV just to make a few hundred thousand more somewhere else. He seems very happy with the organization and his teammates. I think he will easily sign a new contract (long term) with the Rangers around 4,2 - 4,5 mill. a year if he does well this season.

Rangers is just too perfect for him now. I also expect his friend Hagelin to have a great season

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Under Tortorella he was not so fit with the system. But AV style of play makes Zucc are more creative and petter player. I dont think he will leave NYR under AV just to make a few hundred thousand more somewhere else. He seems very happy with the organization and his teammates. I think he will easily sign a new contract (long term) with the Rangers around 4,2 - 4,5 mill. a year if he does well this season.

Rangers is just too perfect for him now. I also expect his friend Hagelin to have a great season

I agree with you, but I fear with a good season and the UFA offerings that the other posters are talking about, I fear it will not be just a couple hundred thosand but a million or more. When Pouliot got AAV 4, Zuke could get 6 if he has a perfect season from a GM inn distress? That's my fear.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think we're too worried about bargain hunting with Zuccarello. He makes $3.5m this season. If he makes $5.5m on his next contract because of his performance warrants it, it'll be worth it. I expect the cap to increase by at least $4m, plus I expect MSL's contract to decrease, if he doesn't retire, by at least $1m based on the contracts Selanne was pulling in.

Just as an example...

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($5.500m) / Mats Zuccarello ($5.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($3.000m) / Derick Brassard ($4.600m) / Marty St Louis ($4.000m)
Chris Kreider ($2.475m) / JT Miller ($2.000m) / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($0.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Dan Boyle ($4.500m) / Marc Staal ($5.500m)
Kevin Klein ($2.900m) / John Moore ($1.500m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Mackenzie Skapski ($0.663m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $74,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,943,333; BONUSES: $231,667
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $56,667

Obviously, a lot can change between now and next year. I wouldn't fret over this... yet.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for that. If they can offer 5.5 in January I am sure he will stay. Will be the best paid Norwgian athlete in Norway by a landslide I think. Playing for the best club in the world, while being cup contenders. And a fan favourite. Not a bad life. And well deserved!

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
How far away is Skejl?.. It would be huge if he were to be ready for this following season and give us SOME bargaining position with Staal.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I think we're too worried about bargain hunting with Zuccarello. He makes $3.5m this season. If he makes $5.5m on his next contract because of his performance warrants it, it'll be worth it. I expect the cap to increase by at least $4m, plus I expect MSL's contract to decrease, if he doesn't retire, by at least $1m based on the contracts Selanne was pulling in.

Just as an example...

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------

Obviously, a lot can change between now and next year. I wouldn't fret over this... yet.

if St Louis has another 60 point season or more, I'm not sure he's taking a 2M paycut no matter how much he wants to be

I think Stepan is also too high, and Miller way too high.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How far away is Skejl?.. It would be huge if he were to be ready for this following season and give us SOME bargaining position with Staal.

Skjei is going back to school and will probably sign next summer. Staal's future will be likely be decided before Skjei ever plays a game as a pro.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
if St Louis has another 60 point season or more, I'm not sure he's taking a 2M paycut no matter how much he wants to be

I think Stepan is also too high, and Miller way too high.

On Stepan and Miller... just an example. If they're too high, it just reinforces my point. Their pay really depends on their performance this year. If he's an effective 3C, I fail to see how $2m is "high" anyway. Kreider got $2.4m for his 2nd contract on one good NHL season.

MSL will take a pay cut based on his age. Selanne is the comparable. 48 points in 54 games as a 39 year old... $4.5m contract. 80 points in 73 games as a 41 year old... $4m contract. 66 points in 82 games as a 42 year old... $4.5m contract. Granted that those deals are on lower salary cap limits, but the point remains. Players in their upper 30s don't get paid for producing the same way players in the upper 20s, low 30s do.

Cake or Death

On Stepan and Miller... just an example. If they're too high, it just reinforces my point. Their pay really depends on their performance this year. If he's an effective 3C, I fail to see how $2m is "high" anyway. Kreider got $2.4m for his 2nd contract on one good NHL season.

MSL will take a pay cut based on his age. Selanne is the comparable. 48 points in 54 games as a 39 year old... $4.5m contract. 80 points in 73 games as a 41 year old... $4m contract. 66 points in 82 games as a 42 year old... $4.5m contract. Granted that those deals are on lower salary cap limits, but the point remains. Players in their upper 30s don't get paid for producing the same way players in the upper 20s, low 30s do.

For sure. Most late 30s star players choose the place they want to close out their career and have already made a mint on prior contracts. They are usually playing for the love of the game and to try to win somewhere they really want to be. Totally agree and I expect MSL to be on a very reasonable/favorable deal if he re-signs.

AHB*

Just as an example...

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------

1) No way MSL makes that
2) Unless he takes a decent discount or has an awful season, Staal won't get that
3) Zucc should get 4.5-5, not 5.5. Unless he has an unreal year. I think he'll be locked up early on anyway.
4) I think Klein will be gone and one of our youth will be on the squad. That or Dan Boyle.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So given the Brassard contract, do we still think the Zuccarello contract was strictly a salary cap issue? Ha.

I can't help but wonder if Brassard asked for $7m in year one so he could "loan" $1m of it to Zuccarello and have it reciprocated once Zucc signs his deal after January. They are pretty close.

;)

Loff

Will Killye
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Strange to see another 1 year deal for Zuccer. He was the backbone last season along with Hank.

Glen and the ****ing brass should figure out a long term deal already. :shakehead

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I think it depends on the cap for 2015-2016. I think Staal will be traded tbh.

it's going to be tough to keep Staal. With the contracts coming up next season, the Rangers may not be able to afford him. The cap would need to go up a fair amount for him to even be considered and a few other things also need to happen.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
1) No way MSL makes that
2) Unless he takes a decent discount or has an awful season, Staal won't get that
3) Zucc should get 4.5-5, not 5.5. Unless he has an unreal year. I think he'll be locked up early on anyway.
4) I think Klein will be gone and one of our youth will be on the squad. That or Dan Boyle.

Well, that depends. With giving him the one year deal, this might just be a problem for the team. IF Zucc has a very good first half of the season, which he is due to have, he might not settle with "only" 5 mill.

Does the cap space for 2015/2016 get set already in January? I guess the Rangers want to know this before they sign any new deals.

Wolfy*

Think of some of the recent contracts thrown around the NHL. Then imagine if Zuccarello merely matches his output from the ’13/14 season and heads into free agency on the back of consecutive 50-60 point regular seasons, a solid playoff career to date, and all that at 27 years of age. He would easily command around $6 million and 6 years on the open market. Those numbers would surely be too much for the Rangers to embrace.

If this is true the Rangers may actually lose Zucc, depends on how much he's willing to leave on the table.

http://blueseatblogs.com/2014/07/24/zuccarello-kreider-deals-mixed-results-rangers/

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think the rangers are going to approach this trade deadline the way they did last ones..if they cant get their key pieces locked up, they'll trade them for something worthwhile.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I find it hard to believe that Rangers would willingly put themselves in a situation where they retain Brassard over 5 years, but let Zucc walk the moment he breaks out. He's getting signed in January

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The cap doesn't get set until a few days before June 30. $5.5 million for Zuccarello? People think Brassard isn't worth what he got. The Canadian dollar will have a major say. Go ahead and predict that. We already saw the impact the loonie had the cap. It should have been higher but the dollar dropped. The NHL tried to include the new TV money but the players said no. The Rangers thought the cap would be higher than where it was set.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
i think the rangers are going to approach this trade deadline the way they did last ones..if they cant get their key pieces locked up, they'll trade them for something worthwhile.

I don't think so Inferno. I feel like some of us have been saying this for a while now but I especially think that this year it will NOT be true. Glen still believes the cup is within reach (and it could be), I doubt he trades any main pieces away if we are legitimately contending. The only one I can see being traded is Staal. If an extension isn't done with Zucc, I can't see us trading him. It won't be easy but if McIlrath or Allen steps up this year we may be able to do without Staal. I can't see any of our prospects being able to replace Zucc's production.

member 116805

Its funny, posters going "but omg he trippled his salary!!!!!!11!!".
Yes he did, but only because he signed a gift of a contract for last season. Anyone surprised that be was worth more than that contract dony have a clue

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Its funny, posters going "but omg he trippled his salary!!!!!!11!!".
Yes he did, but only because he signed a gift of a contract for last season. Anyone surprised that be was worth more than that contract dony have a clue

At a point where he had 67 NHL games under his belt?

Im glad the Rangers dont live in this alternate universe where Zuccarello is constantly undervalued. They've handled him and his contracts just fine so far. Big year for him coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->