Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello Re-Signs (1 year/3.5 AAV)

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
Regardless of years, that is very very team friendly. He held true to his word considering 1 year arb settlement was expected at 3.75-4.00

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 16s
Rangers and Zuccarello have reached agreement on one-year deal for $3.5M, will continue to work on long-term that cannot be signed until 1/1

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
nvm wtf is this. I guess maybe they know they're in some cap trouble now and just wanted to get him under contract cheap now and work out the long term deal later when the cap can go up and they have more room

BarbaraAlphanse

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 16s
Rangers and Zuccarello have reached agreement on one-year deal for $3.5M, will continue to work on long-term that cannot be signed until 1/1

Idiotic.

Staal, MSL, Hagelin, Stepan, Talbot, Zucc, and probably Brassard all going to be free agents next year.

BarbaraAlphanse

nvm wtf is this. I guess maybe they know they're in some cap trouble now and just wanted to get him under contract cheap now and work out the long term deal later when the cap can go up and they have more room

Trading Staal only becomes more of a priority now.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
at least its a low salary for this year. probably makes it easier to sign him long term than if zucc was holding out for big money this year and then get big money next summer too.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
3.5 is nice, 1 year is dreadful. Sather, even as he fails to clean up this year's free agency mess, is already creating another one next year.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Idiotic.

Staal, MSL, Hagelin, Stepan, Talbot, Zucc, and probably Brassard all going to be free agents next year.

I tend to agree. Next summer is going to be very busy. To me it's simple. If Zuccarello can replicate his success this year, he's worth the long term investment. If his production dips or he's rendered a one year wonder, the Rangers will be letting him go or getting him back cheaper than it would've cost this summer.

Very ballsy move by Sather. I don't like that Zuccarello can be a UFA next summer.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Wow. So short sighted. He can be a UFA next summer correct? Yea, that's gonna be cheap.

Edit - I guess te front office still views him as a risky sign long term? Still, a 45 point guy at 4.5 x 4 is way better than the alternative...a 6.5M+ Zucc next summer if he tops 60 points this year.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
one would hope that the plan is to enter into a long term agreement later in the season (I'm assuming that the cap hit this year would not be for the full amount of an extended contract and Sather is buying all the wiggle room he could get for this season).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->