Injury Report: Zuccarello out with upper body injury UPGRADED: Day to Day (Not Cleared for Contact)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
MSL is not a 4th liner. I don't know who the Rangers will sit if Zucc is back but if I were to guess Fast goes back to the 4th line and Sheppard gets scratched. It might not be fair--it might not be what most people would like to see but that's what I think AV will do. Personally I'd at least think about scratching St. Louis because I think he's the weakest on the puck of all our players.

Anyway the 4th line was very good last night. They got the game winning goal. After Stamkos plowed McDonagh from behind for the second time in the series I liked that Glass leveled Coburn. That was a good response hit. Hits like that take a toll.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
There is no coach who would decide not to play one of his best forwards in a game 7, if he is cleared to play, because he needs a few days of practice. He will either be right back in his regular spot or still play but with limited minutes.
Thanks for your opinion. I actually feel the opposite, that you don't risk the game 7 with a rusty player who might only be able to play limited minutes in a game with the potential to be super intense and possibly even go to overtime and beyond.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think what you mean is that you think he will play. I say not a chance.

Who said it did? Methinks you may have missed the point entirely.

If he is medically cleared he will be in the lineup on Friday. There is no thinking about it and AV won't need to think about that either. Rusty? He missed a month. Its not like hes been out for 5 months.

Guy plays with more heart than anyone, you don't get "rust" on your heart (that was lame but go with it :laugh:)

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
There's s greater chance of me winning the lottery then MSL being scratched.

If they don't want to break up the top line, Zucchini would slot in with Stepan and Kreider and they'd move Fast back down to the 4th line.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
MSL is not a 4th liner. I don't know who the Rangers will sit if Zucc is back but if I were to guess Fast goes back to the 4th line and Sheppard gets scratched. It might not be fair--it might not be what most people would like to see but that's what I think AV will do. Personally I'd at least think about scratching St. Louis because I think he's the weakest on the puck of all our players.

Anyway the 4th line was very good last night. They got the game winning goal. After Stamkos plowed McDonagh from behind for the second time in the series I liked that Glass leveled Coburn. That was a good response hit. Hits like that take a toll.
Absolutely, Glass has been inspiring out there and his play has sparked others. No chance of msl sitting though, nor would the coach even mentally entertain the possibility for even a fraction of a second.

Come the SCF, if we're to make it there, when Zucc comes back (if, and even then I predict the latter part of), Shep sits. Take it to the bank.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Absolutely, Glass has been inspiring out there and his play has sparked others. No chance of msl sitting though, nor would the coach even mentally entertain the possibility for even a fraction of a second.

Come the SCF, if we're to make it there, when Zucc comes back (if, and even then I predict the latter part of), Shep sits. Take it to the bank.

Yea, it will definitely be sheppard that would sit.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
If they clear Zucc for game 7, wouldn't be surprised if they put him on the 4th line and see what he can do. If they get desperate, and he's playing well, AV could shake up the lines and move him up.

Saying that, I would be surprised if he gets cleared for game 7.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
If he is medically cleared he will be in the lineup on Friday. There is no thinking about it and AV won't need to think about that either. Rusty? He missed a month. Its not like hes been out for 5 months.

Guy plays with more heart than anyone, you don't get "rust" on your heart (that was lame but go with it :laugh:)

We're talking about a guy that was out with a concussion. There is a long list of players that needed months to get back into form after a concussion. Some never got back to form. And fatigue is always an issue after a concussion. Will he have enough fuel to go an entire game and possibly overtime? Is AV willing to take a gamble? Time will tell.

IMO, he'd be ineffective in a limited 4th line role. He's a set-up guy. Who's he gonna set up on the 4th line? MSL?

Last edited:

Wolfy*

I would love to have Zucc play simply for our PP's sake.

We'll see what they decide to do tomorrow at practice. If he's on the ice with the team (full contact) there's a decent chance he'll play game 7.

I think they want to wait a little longer though. But as AV said, there's always hope.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Just for fun, since parsing words is ofttimes a futile exercise; but consider these words from Hank, just because:
hopefully we can keep on playing so he can join us but right now we are focused on tonight.

If game 7 was a possibility, would he have needed to say both things, or would simply saying "we are focused on tonight" encompass both sentiments?

What I mean is, he first says hopefully they can keep playing (hopefully they keep winning) so he can join them, but then as a separate thought says he's for now just focused on that single game. If he thought he could play in game 7, I would think he would've instead said simply "hopefully we can win tonight so that he has a chance to join us". But doesn't his separating the two concepts make it come off like he already knows it will take more than simply that single win? (ie at least winning the next 2).

Yeah, I know, looking into it too deeply blah blah blah. Not saying any of it for sake of seriousness, just for sake of the heck of it. :)

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Just the fact that he is newly signed, and I see the Rangers competing again for a Cup next year, I doubt they would rush him back unless they were 99% sure he was ready.

Another 4-5 days off, if they win, would probably be huge.

But damn, do I miss him...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers are not a team that rushes players back if there are legit health concerns. When the concerns aren't there--when Zucc has had a practice or two--then he'll come back. That might mean he'll be ready for the next round if we make it there. It might mean next season even if we make it to the finals. If he's skating and practicing a bit though--I'd think he was kind of close. But as we saw with Klein the Rangers will make sure the player is ready to return.

Wolfy*

Another thing, you know how Zucc is. He may not even want to play game 7, because the team played so well last night, and it's more than a month since he last played a game.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
That's more like it, I'm sure Zucc goes back on the Brass line as soon as he's 100% healthy.

Just because Miller scored a goal last night and picked up a few assists because Brass was amazing it doesn't mean he's gonna stay there.

You don't break up Brass and Zucc, wouldn't be very smart IMO.

You almost make it sound like Miller was a passenger last night--he was a big part of Brassard's success (as was Nash).

In any case, if and when Zucc comes back, he probably will play limited minutes for the first game or two--which leaves room for Miller to spend some time on the 1st line too. But, I'll leave it AV to decide....

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
There's s greater chance of me winning the lottery then MSL being scratched.

If they don't want to break up the top line, Zucchini would slot in with Stepan and Kreider and they'd move Fast back down to the 4th line.

I happen to agree with you: St. Louis won't come out, Sheppard will--but maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket anyway. Hey, you never know!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You almost make it sound like Miller was a passenger last night--he was a big part of Brassard's success (as was Nash).

In any case, if and when Zucc comes back, he probably will play limited minutes for the first game or two--which leaves room for Miller to spend some time on the 1st line too. But, I'll leave it AV to decide....

I agree with you. Leave JT with Brass-Nash. Zooks plays great with Stepan and Kreider so it would be perfect to slot him in there with Fast going to his more natural 3rd line.

The bigger question would be would MSL play 4th line and would he still play so many PP minutes?

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Another thing, you know how Zucc is. He may not even want to play game 7, because the team played so well last night, and it's more than a month since he last played a game.

Awww, VB, you know you don't believe that. You talk of Zucc's heart all the time. You know he'd be on the ice in a heartbeat if they said so. Hell, he wasn't even supposed to skate yesterday but he did anyway just because he was so anxious to be on the ice lol.

Niloc1*

Have you ever played competitive sports?

Wolfy*

Awww, VB, you know you don't believe that. You talk of Zucc's heart all the time. You know he'd be on the ice in a heartbeat if they said so. Hell, he wasn't even supposed to skate yesterday but he did anyway just because he was so anxious to be on the ice lol.

Then you don't know him as well as I thought, you seem to have a decent mancrush on him ;)

What I mean is he's a guy who would suggest sitting out if coaches think it could be better for the team right now. But of course he wouldn't refuse to play if they want him in the lineup.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Zucc being back for a possible SCF is still very much in the air and not at all a sure thing. He has to be cleared for contact and no one knows how long that will be.

If he does come back, Sheppard will sit, but it's not deserving. It should be MSL. Sheppard has been fantastic these playoffs. I hope he's back next cause he's been a terrific addition but it's not likely.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
We're talking about a guy that was out with a concussion. There is a long list of players that needed months to get back into form after a concussion. Some never got back to form. And fatigue is always an issue after a concussion. Will he have enough fuel to go an entire game and possibly overtime? Is AV willing to take a gamble? Time will tell.

IMO, he'd be ineffective in a limited 4th line role. He's a set-up guy. Who's he gonna set up on the 4th line? MSL?

Yes, and none of them were skating 3 weeks after the concussion either so i dont see how thats relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->