Injury Report: Zuccarello out indefinitely with upper body injury, per NYR (Mod Warning Post #280)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If you didn't know...a brain trauma is a very serious matter.

Professional athletes get concussions all the time. Until we get actual substantial reports that he's in dire straits, I'm going to go on the assumption that it's a concussion (as reported) and like any concussion, he's out until further notice.

Unless there's something people aren't sharing, I don't see any reason as to why we should think this is any different from a concussion that athletes get.

Both Richter and Sauer had significant histories before they were knocked from the sport. Not that it's not possible, but why are people leaning towards his career being potentially over? There's absolutely nothing to support that claim.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Well at least we know he's out long term. Playoffs are over in 6 weeks, that's probably not enough time for him to return.

So boys...win the Cup for Zuccarello!

Not necessarily. Concussions are so hard to predict, even with him being ruled out of this round, if we win, he could be back in 2 weeks. You never know.

BarbaraAlphanse

Exactly. Herring on the side of caution it's unlikely we see him until finals at least, which is once month away. But it does vary with every individual. A severe concussion could last months. Sauer had some type of recurring condition from getting so many throughout his career. I think this is Zuccs 2nd.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Exactly. Herring on the side of caution it's unlikely we see him until finals at least, which is once month away. But it does vary with every individual. A severe concussion could last months. Sauer had some type of recurring condition from getting so many throughout his career. I think this is Zuccs 2nd.

i don't remember zucc ever getting a concussion

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Exactly...Mike Richter, Michael Sauer....this is nothing new to this organization.

Fortunately those are outliers, concussions are fairly common and the large majority fully recovers. Its reasonable to assume that Zucc will be back to his former self in a reasonable amount of time relative to the severity of his concussion.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Wow some of you are seriously acting like he's going to die or something. The rangers handle all injuries like this. We have no clue what's going on, that's the gist of it. People in here leaning towards career altering? Jesus Christ

Because we care. Shouldn't be all that shocking. Potential brain injuries are no joke. But you are free to assess the situation as you wish.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The team has never, ever given out painstaking detail on a concussed player. Keeping it silent is in no way unusual or a sign of a particularly bad situation.

All this talk about how screwed the team is about to be is extremely premature. Every season, every week, every game, and now every round, there's some reason that NYR is going to get killed and everything we've seen up until now has been a fragile house of cards. Well, look around, there are few teams in better situations right now. You think people would learn after the sky didn't fall the first hundred thousand times they predicted it.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
Professional athletes get concussions all the time. Until we get actual substantial reports that he's in dire straits, I'm going to go on the assumption that it's a concussion (as reported) and like any concussion, he's out until further notice.

Unless there's something people aren't sharing, I don't see any reason as to why we should think this is any different from a concussion that athletes get.

Both Richter and Sauer had significant histories before they were knocked from the sport. Not that it's not possible, but why are people leaning towards his career being potentially over? There's absolutely nothing to support that claim.

While it is silly to say that more people know than they are letting on without offering more, just accept the fact that there are people who know more than the average fan about the team and what is happening.
When rumors circulate that it is more serious than a mild concussion it is quite often because those closer connected know that things may be looking scary.

Career ending scary? lets hope not and there doesnt seem to be anything indicating that yet fortunately.
Much more scary than back or game 2 or 3 for this series? Lets just say that I would be very relieved if everything turns out well and as soon as possible, even though that may not be as soon as many hope.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
The team has never, ever given out painstaking detail on a concussed player. Keeping it silent is in no way unusual or a sign of a particularly bad situation.

All this talk about how screwed the team is about to be is extremely premature. Every season, every week, every game, and now every round, there's some reason that NYR is going to get killed and everything we've seen up until now has been a fragile house of cards. Well, look around, there are few teams in better situations right now. You think people would learn after the sky didn't fall the first hundred thousand times they predicted it.

Agreed. I'm not sure why there is such a 'sky is falling' sense from some. I generally get disgusted when I see such a fragile sense of faith from team's fans. But especially after the season this team has given us, I find it far more so. But to each their own I guess.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Agreed. I'm not sure why there is such a 'sky is falling' sense from some. I generally get disgusted when I see such a fragile sense of faith from team's fans. But especially after the season this team has given us, I find it far more so. But to each their own I guess.

It's definitely different to have a fragile sense of faith in the team and to have a worried/pessimistic outlook on non-disclosed injuries. I'm willing to excuse the latter, and I'm definitely guilty of it.

EDIT: fair enough, just realized the comment was more directed towards the people saying "we're screwed without Zucc, wrap it up, we're done". I completely agree. We jumped in the standings without Hank in net. This team is resilient. This is a big time opportunity for guys like Hayes and Miller to take added responsibility and rise to the challenge.

Wolfy*

I do believe we have the personnel necessary to win without Zuccarello. Key factor will be line chemistry, as some, if not all of them have been changed.

And just as important...the energy, emotion, passion...the spark must still be there.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Does anyone remember how much time nash missed at the beginning of last season from his concussion? I know they are all different. Just wondering

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
This loss had nothing to do with Zucc. I think the team was rusty from the long break, and weren't prepared to deal with the Caps' plan to take away the neutral zone/kill our rush/team speed. They adapted, we didn't. Hats off to them.

Game 2 will tell what this team is made of and capable of. I'm confident in our team to get it done.

Rest up, Zucc, we'll need you in round 3. ;)

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
This loss had nothing to do with Zucc. I think the team was rusty from the long break, and weren't prepared to deal with the Caps' plan to take away the neutral zone/kill our rush/team speed. They adapted, we didn't. Hats off to them.

Game 2 will tell what this team is made of and capable of. I'm confident in our team to get it done.

Rest up, Zucc, we'll need you in round 3. ;)

Hat's off to them my ass. They didn't play all that impressive at all, are dirty ****s, we were horrible with turnovers, didn't bury chances, played nervous and rusty, yet still outplayed them almost the entire game. We beat ourselves last night and then some. **** Washington. They deserve absolutely no pat on the back for last night.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Well, I don't think we outplayed them much at all except for the first 10 minutes, and about 5 minutes of the third period. Holtby had an easy night catching infield flies. They executed their game plan very well, taking away the NZ and closed their gaps tighter than a duck's arse. Their top guys made it onto the scoreboard while ours have yet to show up. And to win the game, they took advantage of what we and the refs gave them and buried the biscuit.

So yeah, I tip my hat to them. If AV doesn't wake up and adapt, and if our top guys don't check in soon, we're in trouble.

Both teams played dirty, this is the playoffs. You take advantage, or you BE taken advantage of.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
All the focus on points and production somewhat takes away Zucc´s importance to the team. His attitude, guts and spark is so important, and goes beyond the numbers on the board. He is a heart and soul player, and it carries over to his team mates, and he is also missed in the locker room, something that shouldn´t be downplayed.

It is so ****ing frustrating, and the team need him back so bad in round 3 (if they make it there).

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
All the focus on points and production somewhat takes away Zucc´s importance to the team. His attitude, guts and spark is so important, and goes beyond the numbers on the board. He is a heart and soul player, and it carries over to his team mates, and he is also missed in the locker room, something that shouldn´t be downplayed.

It is so ****ing frustrating, and the team need him back so bad in round 3 (if they make it there).

I wouldn't be holding my breath on that (him being available)... Just sayin...

Wolfy*

This loss had nothing to do with Zucc.

:laugh:

I can't even write a comment on that, I'm laughing too much.

Seriously, in my opinion it had a major impact, at least on his own line. Last night Nash and Brass looked like they don't even have business in the AHL.

Now the big question is if they can find some line combos that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->