OT: Zuccarello named New York Rangers LGBTQ Ambassador by NHL

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Have to wonder if this is less of the NHL reaching out, and more to cover themselves if something were to happen.

I also happen to think there is a very high profile NHL superstar who hasn't come out. I have my guess and will not share it. I will say, it's not that difficult to figure it out.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Im all for a more diverse, progressive society, I think its great, also pleasantly surprised to see so many fans embracing this instead of the usual kind of reaction.

Gotta love Zuccarello, small man, large heart.

mcdoughnut

Jan 22, 2017
New York
I have nothing against this, but I don't quite understand the initiative. There's nothing inherent to the LGBT community that would prevent people from playing or watching hockey. What affects hockey adoption is socio-economic status and culture. I feel like the LGBT community isn't over or under-presented in either of those groups. So I wouldn't think that LGBT person is more or less likely to watch and/or play hockey. So what are we being more inclusive about? Then again, maybe they have data that disagrees with me.

It's less about there being barriers and more about the culture that makes closeted players fearful. There was a really good article by Brock McGillis, former OHL player who recently came out. Provides a lot of perspective.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brock-mcgillis-133805839.html

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I like to rag on ol' Neck Beard, but I read a lot about him doing good things in the area. Seems like a solid dude.

I feel like the NHL in general is pretty socially progressive, which makes me proud to be a fan.

I don't know if i'd necessarily agree with you here, but it's certainly more admirable than the cluster**** that is the NFL. I'd say the NBA is probably the "best" when it comes to social justice issues (as good as multi-billion dollar orgs can be, i suppose.)

This is a good thing and i'm glad MZA is the representative.

Last edited:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I imagine it's more the hyper-masculine culture that persists in professional (and amateur) athletics in general.

Yeah it's that, being in the locality I am in, there have been a few in the locker room and it's not something they would readily admit even in an amateur level. You find out years or months later, and the reaction is always, I didn't know and quite frankly really didn't care. Not in a bad way, it's really none of my business, but they can't say anything because of the culture.

Anyway, good for Mats, he's a great ambassador for the Rangers regardless of the cause.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
braden-holtby-rock-the-rainbow-960x480.jpg

Holtby is the Caps representative, we need a pic of Zucc like this now...:laugh:

Ahhh, where is the summer?? :)
I admit I`m no fan of winter, except hockey ofc, but I sorely miss the warm beaches. ;)

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Have to wonder if this is less of the NHL reaching out, and more to cover themselves if something were to happen.

I also happen to think there is a very high profile NHL superstar who hasn't come out. I have my guess and will not share it. I will say, it's not that difficult to figure it out.

There have been unsubstantiated, for all I know and care, rumors of major players for years and years. I know they received lots and lots of greif on the ice because of it. So hockey wasn't the most forgiving sport in the past and not sure how it would go over in the future, if a star would admit it during their playing career. I have to think the teammates themselves would be fine with it, well most of them at worst.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I have nothing against this, but I don't quite understand the initiative. There's nothing inherent to the LGBT community that would prevent people from playing or watching hockey. What affects hockey adoption is socio-economic status and culture. I feel like the LGBT community isn't over or under-presented in either of those groups. So I wouldn't think that LGBT person is more or less likely to watch and/or play hockey. So what are we being more inclusive about? Then again, maybe they have data that disagrees with me.

As has been mentioned, it's about softening the image of the league, and using it as a tool to promote tolerance and acceptance for people, allowing them to live their lives openly and without fear. This isn't new in hockey either. The Burkes started the "You can play" project 4 or 5 years ago which has been pretty successful in bringing awareness to the cause.

So it's less about bringing hockey to people, and more about social acceptance, starting with hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->