OT: Zuccarello named New York Rangers LGBTQ Ambassador by NHL

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
http://www.outsports.com/2017/2/2/14486998/nhl-gay-lgbt-ambassadors

Pretty neat.

Oh yeah. If anyone attempts to make this political they will be removed from the thread/infracted.

The NHL is teaming up with the You Can Play project to create more visibility for LGBTQ inclusion in the league and build a list of team ambassadors that creates a web of support reaching all 30 team locker rooms.

The NHL issued this statement on Wednesday:

“In support of their longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion in hockey, the National Hockey League, the League’s Member Clubs and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) will spotlight a variety of community-related initiatives for Hockey Is For Everyone™ month. Every day throughout February, Hockey Is For Everyone activities will focus awareness on such areas as LGBTQ; ethnicity and gender equality; socio-economic status and those with disabilities.”

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Great for Zucc. He's from one of the most socially progressive countries in the world so I'm not surprised by his appointment. Strikes me as a great human being and I'm sure he'll be a wonderful ambassador. It's awesome that the NHL is taking active steps to foster inclusivity.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He is really good with causes like this one. He volunteers every summer to help in various ways.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
braden-holtby-rock-the-rainbow-960x480.jpg

Holtby is the Caps representative, we need a pic of Zucc like this now...:laugh:

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
!!! Mats :)

I'm always proud of this movement. Its good for hockey and its good for humanity.

Not surprised by Holtby being on here either. He was always a heated rival player but I grew a ton of respect for him when I found out he marched in a DC pride parade a year or two ago.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
!!! Mats :)

I'm always proud of this movement. Its good for hockey and its good for humanity.

Not surprised by Holtby being on here either. He was always a heated rival player but I grew a ton of respect for him when I found out he marched in a DC pride parade a year or two ago.

I like to rag on ol' Neck Beard, but I read a lot about him doing good things in the area. Seems like a solid dude.

I feel like the NHL in general is pretty socially progressive, which makes me proud to be a fan.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hockey's the best with this, and Zucc's the man for stepping up to be an ambassador for this cause

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have nothing against this, but I don't quite understand the initiative. There's nothing inherent to the LGBT community that would prevent people from playing or watching hockey. What affects hockey adoption is socio-economic status and culture. I feel like the LGBT community isn't over or under-presented in either of those groups. So I wouldn't think that LGBT person is more or less likely to watch and/or play hockey. So what are we being more inclusive about? Then again, maybe they have data that disagrees with me.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I have nothing against this, but I don't quite understand the initiative. There's nothing inherent to the LGBT community that would prevent people from playing or watching hockey. What affects hockey adoption is socio-economic status and culture. I feel like the LGBT community isn't over or under-presented in either of those groups. So I wouldn't think that LGBT person is more or less likely to watch and/or play hockey. So what are we being more inclusive about? Then again, maybe they have data that disagrees with me.

I imagine it's more the hyper-masculine culture that persists in professional (and amateur) athletics in general.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Maybe, that would make some sense.

I agree with Krams. The NHL has made some excellent strides but there is still stigma and work to do.

I don't think the program tries to "coax" players to come out but rather make them feel safe and comfortable in locker rooms etc.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Im not a big fan of all of the identity stuff we see nowadays but in this instance I can understand. Very few guys feel they can come out while active in male pro sports. More common in womens pro hoops and soccer.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
What a beautiful initiative this is.

Couldn't have chosen a better, more decent guy to represent us than Zuccarello.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Kvikk Lunsj? Those wannabe Kit Kats?

The better-than-kitkats yes!

As for the initiative itself, its great. There are bound to be players in the NHL who does not dare to live a open life beacuse they worry of the stigma in the locker room for having a different sexual orientation.

Times have changed a lot, so I imagine most teams would be behind their teammate no matter what. But there is a reason so few people are openly gay in male dominated team sports, and that every time someone does come out, it makes national headlines.

I'm happy that Zucc is NYR's representative. He embodies the values we should all strive for, equality for all, acceptance for all, and love for all.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
Kvikk Lunsj? Those wannabe Kit Kats?

Oh, no you did not just do that! :laugh: Don't mess with Kvikk Lunsj to a Norwegian, man. That's like stomping in an apple pie and choking a bald eagle.

Re-railing back on topic: Way to go, Mats! You make me proud :) Hats off to the league for this initiative too, really. It's really sad that it's still this big of an issue in male pro sports. The few that actually come out are often after retired or retire shortly after. There's much to be learnt from female sports. Great that they are putting the spotlight on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->