Zuccarello makes his linemates better

Mr Atoz*

MZA is probably the player on the Rangers roster I'm the most curious to see how he will do under a new coach and new system. It's pretty fair to say that his vision is at an elite level but he lacks the physique to perform with the top tier in the NHL. On the other hand, that's what people said about Martin St. Louis before he had his major breakthrough as well.

The difference is St. Louis did it and Zuccarello hasn't. And Zuccarello is 26, not 19. At some point, potential has left the building.

Cake or Death

The difference is St. Louis did it and Zuccarello hasn't. And Zuccarello is 26, not 19. At some point, potential has left the building.

Except St. Louis didn't have his break out season till he was 27 - he only scored 35 pts at age 26. I guess guys can adapt later.

Honestly I don't see the point of the comparisons either way. Zuccarello plays the game well, continually improves, plays with passion, and loves being a NYR. I'm pleased with all the above.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
It will be really interesting to see what a full seasons production looks like with Zuuc. I'm guessing a lot more assists than goals. Very creative. Tons of hockey sense. Just have not seen much finish from him yet.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Zuccarello does indeed make his linemates better, a lot better. But it isn't due to some weird intangible effect, it shows up all over his stats.

He has been by far the best possession player on the Rangers over the past three seasons. The Rangers have the most chances for with him on the ice, and they have the least chances against (Disregard Clowe and Ferriero as they put up almost all of their stats on a different team). Concurrently, he has the best +/- per minute over the same period. We have outscored our opposition 33-17 5v5 with Zuccarello on the ice.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Zuccarello does indeed make his linemates better, a lot better. But it isn't due to some weird intangible effect, it shows up all over his stats.

He has been by far the best possession player on the Rangers over the past three seasons. The Rangers have the most chances for with him on the ice, and they have the least chances against (Disregard Clowe and Ferriero as they put up almost all of their stats on a different team). Concurrently, he has the best +/- per minute over the same period. We have outscored our opposition 33-17 5v5 with Zuccarello on the ice.

If only he was like even Patty Kane's height it would make that much more of a difference. I'm not saying he can't get **** done with his body right now, but it would be awesome to see a slightly larger Zucc with the same hockey IQ/hands/speed/etc.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

This plus he is a role model for short men everywhere who struggle daily......

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He was better than 6'4 Rick Nash in the playoffs, all that matters

He didn't face the lock-down coverage that Nash faced. Boyle was probably the 2nd or 3rd best forward in the playoffs last year. Do you prefer him to Nash?

The Rangers had no scoring depth last year, so it wasn't hard to shut them down.

Crosby looked useless against the Bruins last year. Do you prefer Zucc to him?

Aside from Miller, who may or may not take a step forward this year, I was less enthusiastic about the rest of the youth than most here. They might turn out okay, but so far, no one blew me away, and Kreider has shown zero growth, so far.

A lot of kid forwards are looking great around the league. Would really like to see one doing the same here. Stepan looks like the real deal, though. He has always reminded me of Yzerman, although clearly not at his level.

Thankfully, the D is young and talented.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
MSL did not pass 40 points in a season until he was 27. So yeah, the potential for comparison is there.

I don't think Zucc will ever win an Art Ross, but I do think he can be a 60 point winger.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
How many short hockey players did nothing of note in the NHL before the age of 26, and continued to do nothing of note after? (Hint: it's the length of a phone book).

But there's one who did.

[
So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Put him on a line with Brass and someone who can actually get the puck in the net: potential for 60+ season.

Put him on thirdline with Richards and Kreider/Pyatt/Thelikes: 30+, Cobwebs start forming in oppositions net

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
10 goals 50 assists when it happens.

not necessarily. Remember, the guy is still a sophomore this year if we go by games played. And it is not as though he does not have the tools to finish. We know he has the vision on the ice, but if there is a place he may very well improve it is the goalscoring.

In his sophomore year in SEL (his last year there) he won the MVP and points league with 23G and 41A in 55 games.

In Whale he had 12G and 24A in his 37 games.

Same applies for international play and KHL, he is quite even in G and A.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

I believe I read some time ago that Zucc's stats are comparable to St. Louis's stats up to his breakthrough season at the age of 26.

So naturally, both being short playmakers that many says cant do anything in the NHL since they're not man-monutains, the comparison has been drawn.

And I'm fairly sure most of us here wants the breakthrough season to happen now, which given that he seems to be a lock on the team as well as fighting for a extended contract, has every reason to do so.

Will Zucc become the new St. Louis ? Very likely not. Can he be one of the more important forward contributors on this team ? Very possible

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007
I'd just like to point out that it just might be possible to be a short guy in the NHL, put up stats that aren't in the MSL class, and still be a worthwhile piece of a team. It's not MSL or bust.
He doesn't need to be remembered by everyone in 10-15 years, he can still have contributed to his team(s).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I Micheal J Fox a Zooks fan? I ask because I was watching the premiere episode of his new show and I think his son was wearing a #36 Rangers jersey flash by at around the 2 minute mark of the episode. I can not say for sure but I'd say there is a 75% chance I saw that jersey.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
I Micheal J Fox a Zooks fan? I ask because I was watching the premiere episode of his new show and I think his son was wearing a #36 Rangers jersey flash by at around the 2 minute mark of the episode. I can not say for sure but I'd say there is a 75% chance I saw that jersey.

Think it's Zuke, hanging from the frigde.

Attachments

• Fox.jpg
    Fox.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 31

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's not like the guy has never played in the NHL before...I think I've seen enough of Zucarello to be confident that he can be a productive 2nd line NHL player as long as he stays healthy

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco

Well, they are both short guys beating the odds! Wouldnt be surprised

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Think it's Zuke, hanging from the frigde.

That is a kid wearing it by the fridge. Since the TV takes place in NY a Rangers jersey does make some sense but it is interesting that they chose Zooks over some bigger names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad