Zubov wants out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
-Raleigh

After the much publicized falling out between Sergei Zubov and his agent Reggie Swingstein, Zubov has come out in his own press conference and stated that he wanted out of Carolina.

"I was holidaying in Europe," said Zubov. "When I found out that I was heading to Carolina, I was not happy. I have nothing against the Canes. I am at the stage of my career where trophies are more important."

A Canes spokesperson said that the Canes were disappointed at Zubov's comments. At a press conference held later, GM Dionysius Ong said,"We thought we could give what Sergei (Zubov) wanted but apparently not. If he didn't want to join us, he should have stated that to his agent. We will be listening to offers should other clubs want him."

There has been rumors that playoff contender have recently contacted Zubov's new agent and Carolina management about a potential deal.

Stay tuned as the saga continues.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I have a serious question. Can a UFA be traded this close to being signed, or is that limit only for UFAs who re-signed with their previous team before the first day of free agency.

For example, Jiri Slegr or Alexei Zhitnik were both signed before the first day of free agency by myself, but I signed Manny Legace as a UFA? Not that I'm looking to, but could I deal any or all of them now?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
In general, there are no trade limiations on trading players acquiring during UFA bidding, because it is assumed the player signs with the team based on money more than anything. They have excersised their right to free agency to determine their market value, so we've never placed a trade restriction on these players.

For players signed BEFORE UFA, they have a trade restriction in that the player has to be compensated if traded. I believe 100% of one year's salary up to the allstar game, and 50% up to the trade deadline (actually, these are probably off a bit).

That said, Carolina is definitely entering uncharted territory here, as no one has ever traded a player this soon (and it's safe to say, the player wouldn't have signed if they felt this is what would happen).

As is the case every year, the Admin team will monitor what is happening and make decisions on new rules as they are required. We really don't want to add 'more' rules, but we will if we have to in order to maintain as much realism and similarity to the real NHL as possible.

HFNHL Red Wings

If my memory serves me correctly we did have this happen once before and it was a contentious issue then as well. I believe Jovanovski was traded shortly after being signed as a UFA.
The thought always was, if a player signs he has signed for the most anyone was ever willing to pay so why would a GM who previously decided not to bid that high for a player now not only take on that contract but alsio trade assets to do it. In short it was thought the Jovanovski situation was an anomaly.

Edit: Ok forget that. Jovanovski could not be the example I was thinking of. He's too young to have been a UFA. It must have been someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

godlh

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
It was our friend Leschyshyn...

HFNHL Red Wings said:
Edit: Ok forget that. Jovanovski could not be the example I was thinking of. He's too young to have been a UFA. It must have been someone else.

You were very close Drew!

Custis Leschyshyn was the player involved...Jovo was part of that same deal, that's why you probably remember him...

The deal included Jovo being sent to San Jose (from Dallas) in exchange for a bunch of players, one of which was Leschyshyn...I had just been signed on as the GM of the Stars days before the trade, I wanted Leschyshyn to be part of the deal, not knowing he had been picked up by San Jose through UFA.

I was able to keep him in the end, can't remember why exactly...probably because as discussed above, I didn't do anything that was against the rules...

Eric

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
That said, Carolina is definitely entering uncharted territory here, as no one has ever traded a player this soon (and it's safe to say, the player wouldn't have signed if they felt this is what would happen).

Man, why do I have to get into so much controversy every season. :banghead:

Who said I was going to trade him anyway?? (Ok, I might trade him around deadline :) ). Personally, I was very surprise to get him anyways. Short term deal and a down year, he is screwed financially. I may have had the given the most money during bidding, but in terms of what a players wants ie security, I was the worst. So don't shoot the messenger fellas. *Looks at Reggie's assistant*

I will say this, if the player was traded to a Cup Contender and getting the same money, I don't think he would be down trodden too soon. *hint Mr Quain hint* :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad