Zubov vs. Kulemin

tyler_sens

May 26, 2007
Im a sens fan who hates the leafs and i just thought i may aswell create another competition between the two clubs. I was just wondering who do you think has the greater russian prospect potential wise. I know Nikolai Kulemin is older and has put up more points but watching Zubov in the world juniors and at the Ottawa Senators Prospect Camp, i have come to realize that this kid in amazing and hes only 19. Even though he doesnt have the stats to back him up, i still think Ilya Zubov will become a bigger impact player when he reaches the NHL. Opinions anyone?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
On hockeysfuture, where yoth is everything, I'm still not sure Zubov would take this one. Kulemin has done things in the RSL that are very, very impressive, and you said it yourself, Zubov doesn't have any stats really backing him.

I'd argue that we should just wait out, and see what happens. Maybe when Zubov is older we'll know.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Actually, Kulemin turns 21 today, and Zubov is 20 year old right now, not 19.

The age is not a difference, but the goal-scoring catogory, point catogory, is a huge difference between Zubov and Kulemin. Kulemin has far more points and goals, and lead the RSL in goals in the playoffs.

Nikolai Kulemin's potential might be much higher then Zubov's, and there is a good chance Kulemin might become cornerstone player for the Leafs, while Zubov doesnt.

Kulemin, fairly easily.

tyler_sens

May 26, 2007
Future

While Kulemin is unlikely to ever develop into a top line scoring sniper, his upside is that of a very capable third line checking forward who would also be able to fill in on the top lines in the case of injury.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nikolai_kulemin

i forget where i read this but Zubov is expected to develope into a 2nd line centre on a much deeper team ( the sens ) compared to Kulemin ( the leafs )

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
It says checking forward on hockeysfuture. But thats Pejorative Slured, Kulemin could very well develop into a ppg player and i wouldnt be surprised, hes got major skills, a great shot and hes willing to go in the rough areas to get the goals. Plus hes a pretty good skater.

This is not even close, and believe me, Im a Sens fan. Kulemin >>>>>>> Zubov

Zubov could develop to be better IF Kulemin doesnt reach his potential and becomes a 3rd liner. But at the moment Kulemin is way better as a player and as a prospect.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I've seen both play many times. Kulemin was miles ahead of Zubov.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
Future

While Kulemin is unlikely to ever develop into a top line scoring sniper, his upside is that of a very capable third line checking forward who would also be able to fill in on the top lines in the case of injury.

i forget where i read this but Zubov is expected to develope into a 2nd line centre on a much deeper team ( the sens ) compared to Kulemin ( the leafs )

That was written around the time of the draft.

They need to re-write that, because 27 goals + another 10 in the playoffs to me means more than just a checking forward...

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Not even comparable...

Kulemin has done things in the RSL that Ovechkin and Malkin did...
He's the leading goal scorer and has the most goals in the playoffs as well with 10.

If Kulemin, as you're saying, is a 3rd line checking forward, then Zubov is 4th line in the minors.

Kulemin's a gem, a cornerstone, he has the potential to become a first line PPG player with a massive shot and grit.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Future

thats the stupidest thing i have heard in a while.

so if im right you base your opinion on something that was written 3 years ago. and you should really have YOUR OWN opinion and not just something that someone else has written.

kulemin has developed over all expectations since he was drafted. he's max potential IMO is a good 1st line sniper. but we will se if he ever reaches it.

and between zubov and kulemin. i'd take kulemin in a heartbeat.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Kulemin isn[t as talented as Malkin/Ovechkin. That's clear, and big part of his success last year was Jan Marek.
Still Kulemin is much better player than Zubov. Kulemin's upside is 2nd line nd downside is 3rd line, Zubov's upside is maybe the same, but downside is 2nd line at Neftekhimik.

Avy*

Kulemin isn[t as talented as Malkin/Ovechkin. That's clear, and big part of his success last year was Jan Marek.
Still Kulemin is much better player than Zubov. Kulemin's upside is 2nd line nd downside is 3rd line, Zubov's upside is maybe the same, but downside is 2nd line at Neftekhimik.

I think that you pizdabol.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

I dont think Jan Marek did much to Kulemin's success.

Transported Upstater

Im a sens fan who hates the leafs and i just thought i may aswell create another competition between the two clubs.

*DISCLAIMER: SOMEWHAT OFF-TOPIC RANT IN PROCESS!*

Ottawa does not have to prove anything to the Leafs or Leafs fans, whether the two fanbases realize it or not.

Your goal is the Cup, why worry about us? We're closer to a laughingstock than a Cup contender, and your team has obviously proven otherwise. We're trying to get into the playoffs for the first time in the cap era...and you guys made it to the final rung of the ladder before falling just short.

So we beat you guys several times in the playoffs in the past...so what? That was the pre-cap era, where we had money and you didn't. It doesn't really apply or matter now, IMO. Some Leafs fans think otherwise, but I don't. As far as I am concerned, Toronto has been Ottawa's ***** during the cap era, and that we pose no real threat to you until we can prove we can compete with you on a regular basis...which we haven't done yet, assuming we do it at all.

*OFF TOPIC RANT OVER*

Also, like mooseOAK said, it would help if you chose your battle a little better, because this is one competition in which the Leafs definitely have the advantage. ;)

Transported Upstater

Any Leaf fan who expects Kulemin to be Ovechkin or Malkin is a homer of extraterrestrial proportions and not really worth taking seriously, IMO.

Most of us just want Kulemin to be the best Nikolai Kulemin can be, and we're excited to see what exactly that is.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Any Leaf fan who expects Kulemin to be Ovechkin or Malkin is a homer of extraterrestrial proportions and not really worth taking seriously, IMO.

Most of us just want Kulemin to be the best Nikolai Kulemin can be, and we're excited to see what exactly that is.

I dont even know if there were Leaf fans who said they were expecting Kulemin to be Ovechkin, and Malkin?

And I agree with the second part.

Edit: I dont even know if there is such thing as "extraterrestrial proportions." ;)

Transported Upstater

I dont even know if there were Leaf fans who said they were expecting Kulemin to be Ovechkin, and Malkin?

And I agree with the second part.

I don't think so, either; I haven't seen any evidence of that in this thread, certainly, nor on the Leafs board.

Make no mistake about it, I'm very excited to see what this kid can do, but I caution all of us to be very patient in judging him and to let him grow...which is NOT a Leaf fan specialty.

Edit: I'm not sure there is a such thing either! :biglaugh:

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I only watched a couple of recorded playoff games, and it did not appear that Marek played very well with Kulemin. He seemed to have nice chemistry with Kudrna, and the two were quite content to pass the puck to each other. That said, Marek could have helped Kulemin earlier in the season, since I think Kudrna wasn't on the team then. Obviously having a good player on the line is always helpful, even if it's indirectly as there isn't just one focal point for the opposition. As far as the upside, I think 1st line sniper with physical game along the lines of Doan, Cole or even Iginla (okay, maybe not Iginla, since Kulemin doesn't use a visor :naughty:) is not out of the question.

Zubov is a good prospect in his own right, based on what I saw and WJCs. He has the smarts and the presence of a superb playmaker, and a pretty good shot, nice skating ability. The closest player he reminds me of in terms of style is Larionov. Very rarely players have that "force field" around them, keeping the opposing players at safe distance while hardly doing anything and slowing the game down. To me he has shown flashes of something truly special, and I would say that his upside is about same as Kulemin, that is a 1st line player. But this type of game is much harder to project into NHL, so his bust potential is higher.

Because of being more of a sure thing, I think Kulemin is an obvious choice here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad