Zubov lashes at Bykov and Co

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
didn't zubov turn down the russian national team a bunch of times in the past? what makes him think that he can just play when he wants to?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Whatever. It's a non-story imo.

I'm on Bykov's side here. Is he suppose to personally call every Russian player that he didn't select?

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Whatever. It's a non-story imo.

I'm on Bykov's side here. Is he suppose to personally call every Russian player that he didn't select?

Looks like it's the other way.

Zubov was invited to the Kar'yal Cup in November but didn't join the team citing injury. Zubov didn't personally call the coaching staff, which didn't impress them. Then he wasn't to the First Channel Cup the next month, believed by many due to non-hockey issues.

Zubov leads KHL defensemen in points.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
didn't zubov turn down the russian national team a bunch of times in the past? what makes him think that he can just play when he wants to?

He is, after Fetisov, easily the second best Russian defenseman ever to play hockey in the NHL for an extended period of time. Konstaninov is up there, but after that, there's a big gap.

Still, agreed on your point.

Petroff15

Dec 29, 2009
What are these games that Bykov and Co. are playing?
Is it too hard to explain what is going on?
What is the whole point of this Feb 15th changes.

Does he want the players to go out and play 110% every game prior to Olympics and be worried of being cut or maybe it would've been better if the chosen players had time to gain maximum physical and mental strenght before the start of OG.

He is obviously doing it for some kind of purpose, why would you ask OG and SC champion and KHL leader in points among def to go to Vancouver for 4 days to be a sparring partner. What kind of reaction is he trying to get? Do you think Kovalev and Frolov are going to fly to Vancouver for 1 day?
It seems that Bykov doesn't even know that rosters can not be changed unless an injury occurs.
Where is Yashin (never refused to play for Russia and is among the leaders of the KHL)?

He better win gold, or many more questions like that will rise.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I can't get over Zubov's arrogance.

*He refuses to play for the national team for more than a decade.

*Finally commits, but during his first chance to play in EHT he pulls-out citing an 'injury' (though doesn't miss any time with SKA) but doesn't bother notifying Bykov.....leaving Bykov searching for a last minute replacement.

*Doesn't play in the Channel One Cup.

*Gets upset because he's an olympic replacement and is causing a media **** storm with Barry Smith.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Petroff15

Dec 29, 2009
I can't get over Zubov's arrogance.

*He refuses to play for the national team for more than a decade.

*Finally commits, but during his first chance to play in EHT he pulls-out citing an 'injury' (though doesn't miss any time with SKA) but doesn't bother notifying Bykov.....leaving Bykov searching for a last minute replacement.

*Doesn't play in the First Channel Cup.

*Gets upset because he's an olympic replacement and is causing a media **** storm with Barry Smith.

Unbelievable.

*Refused because it was a different team then

*He wasn't the only one to be injured

*Not called up for First channel cup

*He is an Olympic Champion, Stanley Cup Champion, miltiple Norris Trophy finalist, and most importanly leads KHL d-man in ponts and among the league leaders in Time on Ice

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
*He is an Olympic Champion, Stanley Cup Champion, miltiple Norris Trophy finalist, and most importanly leads KHL d-man in ponts and among the league leaders in Time on Ice

Who gives a toss how good Zubov is. If he's not 100% committed and accountable to the team he shouldn't be on it.
If he was committed, he'd go to Vancouver and support the team any way he could. Being on the NT is a privilege, not a right.

That he didn't bother to call Bykov and say he wasn't playing at Karjala Cup, and now with him crying to the media is all you need to know why he's better left off the club.

Bykov demands a lot but he's very fair.....and players respect him for that. Well, all but Zubov.:speechles
It's no different than the time Semin was dropped from WC for not showing up at Novogorsk on time.

Last edited:

Petroff15

Dec 29, 2009
It's no different than the time Semin was dropped from WC for not showing up at Novogorsk on time.

yes no different...

А когда вас отцепили от сборной в 2007 году?

— Тогда я просто был в шоке. Не понял, из-за чего это произошло. Вроде бы всех предупредил. Сказал, когда прилетаю. Пять часов в воздухе из Красноярска. Звоню из аэропорта, спрашиваю, куда ехать. А мне в ответ: «Не надо никуда ехать…».

Думаю, что главному тренеру Вячеславу Быкову неправильно преподнесли информацию. Вот и возникло разногласие. Сейчас искать виноватых нет смысла…

Было больно?

— Обидно. Что из-за непонятного разногласия ты мог быть там, а сидишь дома. Я в Красноярск отправился тем же самолетом. Купил новый билет, снова пять часов в воздухе. Это самая дурацкая история в моей жизни.

Alex Semin sovsport.ru

Bykov is overrated, those guys who are now a core of the team, never showed any signs of not wanting to go full tilt for their national team.
He just came at the right time.
Again, he might be right as we don't see all of his cards, but he better win or it is will be disaster for him.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
seriously what he said, is something only players from his generation could say. I don't want to see anyone like this on the national team. either you wanna play for your country and do your best to make the team, or just drop out. it's a non story. I'd rather have a young defenseman like Korneyev playing in Vancouver.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Where is Yashin (never refused to play for Russia and is among the leaders of the KHL)?

He's too slow for a tournament like this at this point.

I wanted Zubov to be on the team, but really every defenseman that is currently on the Russian roster has earned their spot.

The only one among them that has struggled this year has been Grebeshkov, but his whole team has played awful this year. It's pretty hard to thrive under those conditions.

I mean, if Zubov was added to Russian roster, the most likely player whose spot he would've taken is probably Korneev. And Korneev has been playing great this season.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
yes no different...

А когда вас отцепили от сборной в 2007 году?

— Тогда я просто был в шоке. Не понял, из-за чего это произошло. Вроде бы всех предупредил. Сказал, когда прилетаю. Пять часов в воздухе из Красноярска. Звоню из аэропорта, спрашиваю, куда ехать. А мне в ответ: «Не надо никуда ехать…».

Like he really had no idea where training camp was being held:sarcasm:.:rolleyes:
Whatever Semin.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Like he really had to ask where training was being held:sarcasm:.:rolleyes:
Whatever Semin.

This was actually a defining moment of his team coached by Bykov. This was a message for everyone. Everybody received it except for Zubov, who was not in Russia at the time. I think Zubov was so far away mentally from this team that he didn't really know what was happening recently with the National team. He clearly acted like he was back in 1996. Good thing is that he is out now for good.

VladNYC*

Same old Zubov. I am so glad the rest of Russia doesn't live in the 1990s like he does. Who needs a person with his kind of attitude on the NT? It just makes things worse.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Zubov can get ****ed. We need patriotic players proud to wear the shirt not matter what. That is what we had the last to World Championships. i thought we had it too at the last Olympics(Until the Semi's :help: )

Bykov has done a good job with the NT since taking over in 07.
Bronze,Gold,Gold at the World Championships. 2000-2006 i think we only medaled twice yeah?02 and 05. Everyone should have a little faith in Bykov :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->