Post-Game Talk: Zoinks! Jets win 5-4. Back in a WC spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

He is taken maintenance days often and something was said on the broadcast today about it.

He has some bad games like every other player but his good games far outweigh his bad ones. IMHO (have to add that in) I really don't understand the criticism he gets a lot of times other than the bad penalties which he hasn't done in a while.

Little joked that he had practiced more than Ladd , a good natured dig.

He hasn't scored which is part of it , and he has not gotten the puck out of the d zone a fair bit recently ( although that is certainly a challenge for him overall ). No one is perfect in all areas of course but he has had some poor games for his expected level of play recently.

Things is , how hurt is he? We don't know but it is very probable , so he get's the benefit of that . He's been physical still which is a plus of course. Hopefully him and Little put the puck in the net starting with the next game , with the scoring we're getting from the bottom 6 , that would be a huge , huge plus.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Would argue it's the players to an extent, combined with Maurice's system.

Transitional defense from the forwards is their Achilles' heel from a personnel and strategic standpoint. Little and Frolik are the only ones who are truly good transitional defenders. Ladd and Scheifele are average (Scheif is improving at it, mind you). Wheeler and Stafford are terrible at it. It leaves them vulnerable, especially when protecting leads.

I'd like to see the Jets go back to Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler, drop Stafford down to the third line. Matty's another guy who defends pretty well through the neutral zone.

I think the logic behind Maurice's system is bang on. The problem is that the team can't play at that pace consistently and not have major lapses. I'd really like to see a more conservative forecheck and having the D much less active when we have a lead for starters. For instance, in this game with 5-6 minutes left we had consecutive shifts where Pardy pinched and got trapped and Myers then did the same. We were up by two goals! Why the hell would a D end up below the circles in the offensive zone?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Today was just one of those games that took on its own life form that resembled a toe to toe fight.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nice win, though every time the Twins were on the ice, it scared me.
It's good thing 4 lines can be rolled now :)

I was wondering about that last minutes Scheifele Centering Wheeler and Ladd

Well , Jets usually play tighter defensively on the road.

Get 3 out of 4 points from that B2B, i can settle for 2 but must beat Avs and Flames then.

Wasn't comfortable with that game, you don't feel that the goalie (Pavs) was going to save any shots, but he did made a couple nice saves.

GO JETS!

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Huge win..... huge. They need to keep it going and string a few together now.

3540696_o.gif
3540696_o.gif
3540696_o.gif

3540696_o.gif
3540696_o.gif
3540696_o.gif

3540696_o.gif
3540696_o.gif
3540696_o.gif

Adam Lowry Update: still a beast. He is turning into one hell of an NHL player.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I can't imagine what this topic would sound like had we lost. Well, actually I can, and it would have been ugly.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Do we really know that he's injured? I kinda have my doubts about that. I'd also argue that this is not his best year. His points are expected, given his usage and defensively he's more than a bit overrated. IMHO of course.

As probably the biggest Ladd fan on this board, I would maintain that he's never been anything more than average-ish 'defensively'. What he actually is? He's an elite neutral zone and offensive zone forechecker that scores at a first line rate 5v5 going back to his 1st year in Chicago.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I can't imagine what this topic would sound like had we lost. Well, actually I can, and it would have been ugly.

Jets defence played bad and Pavs sucked....people know if we play like that this season is done soon.

I'm not surprised in the least.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Being a "way better player" isn't relevant. It's about his actions. He's sitting so we get to watch Pardy trying to get us into the playoffs playing RD. :shakehead Now that's a terrifying ride.

from the tone of your post, i'd swear the Jets lost 5-3.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Just finished the nice family dinner I had lined up; glad I gave the usual post-win disgust and disappointment a chance to die down.

Sounds like there were a lot of ugly moments in the game, and I sure hope Toby is okay. And the out-of-town scoreboard ain't helping either. But you know what? We won a game that not everyone may have given us a chance to win. Since this is not figure skating, there are in fact NO style points so the two points we got spend just as well as any others.

Call me a cheerleader if you want, but I don't care. Folks, the end is in sight and our chances are as real now as they've been all year. If you really, truly, want to give up -- I can't ask a tiger to change their spots </YogiBerra> but at least just hold off for a few games? If you really get what you want, you'll have all off-season to work on your Eeyore impressions.

Plus, YUSSSS GO JETS GO, that is all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just got back from game, sat behind Pavs for 2 periods, yikes that was his worst game since his 3 wks break. That first goal Pavs was at the front of the crease when the puck was behind the net, should have been back to the post totally his fault, another time the puck was beside him for 3 second s, we were all yelling cover the puck. It was like he was in a haze, heard he was sick this we should have let Hutch play but he is to afraid of Hutch having a hot game.

That's now 3 Pavelecian games in a row. Hot streak is over. He's baa .. aack.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He also made some big saves , that covered the backs of other players.

He wasn't perfect , he wasn't really good , but he was not nearly as bad as SOME are making him out to be.

He's never as bad as SOME make him out to be but now that his hot streak is over he is back to being NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Our team D was not good enough today either. Have other teams spotted something we are doing wrong? Every team lately is getting men open behind our D. Trouba has not been good at all lately. In fact he has been bad lately. Bad plays, sloppy handling of the puck, bad decisions. Myers has not been nearly as good as he was in his first 10 games or so. I wouldn't say he has been bad but he has not been great. He may have been our best D today but that isn't saying much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A clean regulation win, 2 points up and back in a wild card spot - why are we fighting amongst ourselves? :)

Because it was seriously ugly in many ways. We needed more than the usual amount of luck.

But, hey is Perreault great or what? Tlusty isn't flashy but he makes the 4th line almost good. Love Stempniak. Keep him Chevy!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

No kidding , after the crappy way we lost the last 2 games who cares how we win as long as we WIN I don't care if the Jets WIN the rest of their games 10 to 9 , as long as we WIN !!!! One thing we did find out though , Buff isn't the only reason we have defensive breakdowns right ???:nod::shakehead

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Problem is Hutch has not been clutch so do you want poop or crap in net? We can't win they both suck

Yep pretty much it.

If we assume each will get a start in the next 2, who starts in Minni? I'm leaning toward Hutch, no reason why just a hunch on Hutch

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Yeah, it would have been ugly...for good reasons. What, you expect hardcore fans of this team to be pleased with losses that potentially put us out of the playoffs? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->